View Full Version : Trouble with getting brand name Adderall Ė Experience

IamChris85
10-08-14, 06:08 PM
Hello, this would be my first post here. Anyways, Iíve been prescribed Adderall since May of this year, IR 30mg x2 day, and itís the first time Iíve ever been on medication.

Anyhow, for a few months, I was going through the frustrating struggle of trying to find brand name Adderall which is next to near impossible. Note: Iím in the Orange County area. Iíve never felt so uncomfortable trying to get medication since going through this process. I almost feel as if Iím asking for an illegal drug with some of the looks and responses Iíve gotten from many CVS pharmacies out here. Anyways, long story short I gave up and just did the generic Teva brand, which was ok for me, I became acclimated to it, until one day they switched to this brand Aurobindo and without notice I was given a refill with this brand. Pill was a white oval, no sweet taste. The side effects from this generic were terrible, felt terribly jittery and a strung out feeling.

Feeling frustrated, I finally decided to talk to my doctor about the pharmacy ordeal and the various sides from different generics. I didnít want to previously because I felt as if Iím going to be looked at like Iím crazy. To my surprise he agreed and confirmed many patients have different side effects from generics and that the pharmacy complaint is definitely a real one with many patients. My doctor then recommended a local non chain pharmacy and even called them ahead of time requesting brand name ( I think Teva makes brand and generic ). Let me tell you something, the pharmacy I go to now treats me well and has my brand name filled in a matter of minutes. But all of this wouldnít of have happened if I didnít ask my doctor for help and a pharmacy recommendation. Itís a simple solution, just one that I didnít think of until after the boiling point. I just hope this can help others that are dealing with a similar struggle.

Cheers !

Lizzo11
10-08-14, 09:12 PM
I've had very similar experiences with CVS. I've switched my business over to an independent pharmacy, one that my doc recommended, and they are wonderful. The owner stays on top of possible drug shortages, and that is a relief.

For anyone having issues with the big chain pharmacies - don't hesitate to try out your local mom and pop shop!

sarahsweets
10-14-14, 03:32 AM
Are you talking about ir or xr?

Heba213
10-15-14, 04:51 AM
Ir name brand is rare teva doesn't even mention it on website. The last mention was a report from 2012. I've tried asking in the past not even the smallest pharmacy could get it: I don't know for sure though

wonderboy
10-16-14, 02:11 AM
A major problem with getting brand (especially for IR) is that most insurance companies will refuse to pay for it. This could be a major problem for folks who simply can't afford the Brand name.

One option is to petition your insurance company to cover it; this may be approved if your physician is willing to state that it is "medically necessary" for you to receive the brand name, "as all other alternatives have failed"

Heba213
10-21-14, 02:11 AM
Where would one go? In a city of my size, I called initially every pharmacy before i switched. And was unsuccessful, even the small pharmacies said they could not order it. I find it somewhat bewildering that its possible. But i ALSO know that its manufactured by the same generic albatross Teva. So IDK it may not be much different. YMMV

wonderboy
10-21-14, 05:48 PM
It is invariably quite difficult to find any brand name drugs when a generic is available (unless the pharmacy special orders it).

This is all the result of the insidious wrath of insurance companies and the subsequent "bottom line" of a pharmacy itself.

Maurice
10-21-14, 06:15 PM
Ir name brand is rare teva doesn't even mention it on website. The last mention was a report from 2012. I've tried asking in the past not even the smallest pharmacy could get it: I don't know for sure though

http://www.onlinedrugtest.info/companies/barr-laboratories-inc-brand-name-and-generic-drug-company.html

IamChris85
10-23-14, 07:00 PM
Yea luckily my insurance covers brand name, it's only $5 extra on top of my $5 co-pay, so $10 is my cost.

Maurice
10-23-14, 09:02 PM
A major problem with getting brand (especially for IR) is that most insurance companies will refuse to pay for it. This could be a major problem for folks who simply can't afford the Brand name.

One option is to petition your insurance company to cover it; this may be approved if your physician is willing to state that it is "medically necessary" for you to receive the brand name, "as all other alternatives have failed"

It's called getting a "prior authorization." Your doctor fills it out and faxes it to your insurance company.

BobTucson
10-26-14, 12:33 AM
local non chain pharmacy

You are extremely lucky to have access to one, none where I live.

I fired CVS when I gave them the new usual proscription from doctor's visit that day, had them check stock and went back later to pick up the proscription. the pharmacist had me wait until he took care of phone calls, people at the drive up window and then he announced he would fill the proscription because it had not been 30 days since I bought my last 30 day supply.

i pointed out my doctor dissagreed with him and i'd gladly give to him my doctor's phone number so that he could straighten out my doctor on how to proscribe medications. Blank look from the pharmasist. I pointed out that he wanted to make sure I ran out and was supposed to take it daily. anmd that part of the reason I take it is low energy...sometimes I'm just not able to get out of my house when I want to. Sooooooo, was he going to bring me my medication when I ran out and couldn't get to the pharmacy? another blank look. I asked for the proscriptions, once placed in my hand I said "You are fired!" there are pharmacies that will fill this, and I don't plan on coming back.

Best from T'son
Bob

bethica7
11-05-14, 01:09 AM
Am I the only weird one with insurance that doesn't cover generic? My insurance will only allow a 30 day supply at once (not that big of a deal unless there's a shortage which happens frequently around my area), and I pay $65 for Adderall 20mg XR. all my other scripts are $10 or less. Ugh.

IamChris85
11-05-14, 02:42 PM
Am I the only weird one with insurance that doesn't cover generic? My insurance will only allow a 30 day supply at once (not that big of a deal unless there's a shortage which happens frequently around my area), and I pay $65 for Adderall 20mg XR. all my other scripts are $10 or less. Ugh.

Wow that's odd that they wouldn't cover generics. My co-pay for generics is $5 and for brand is $10.

Trev92
12-15-14, 02:44 AM
I take the Teva generic and I didn't notice a change in my tablet- and it still has that sweet taste. Hmmm maybe you were slipped a placebo lol