View Full Version : At Home Mom 12 Years ~ ReInventing Myself

mollymae76
10-08-14, 07:33 PM
I'm 38 years old. I was diagnosed in adulthood and take medication now, which has improved my household and family a lot. I've been out of the workforce since the birth of our first child (12 yrs). Of course, I put up a great front, but feel SO many regrets about my life and lack of formal education and career success. I used to make everything a game/contest with myself at my job, and hyper-focus, getting myself totally out of whack to do well.

My husband is self-employed. He feels he does "everything" and really is an amazing guy in a lot of ways. I do almost all the child raising, housework and grunt work in our lives and he works from the neck up, I guess you could say. I feel like Cinderella.

Anyway, I want to go complete my college degree but am SO scared of how long that would take and the expense!

I have no idea what to do when I grow up and I just feel so hopeless as to where to start figuring it out.

Anyone have any experience or advice to share?

Flory
10-08-14, 08:23 PM
It's never too late Hun :) get down to your local community college and talk with a careers advisor they'll be able to offer some suggestions if nothing else you could have a brainstorm and start writing down things you may be interested in etc etc

mollymae76
10-09-14, 10:13 AM
Thanks Flory! Gosh, you won't believe this but my Mom is a PhD of Education and works professionally at a college to promote higher Ed. Probably adding to my inferiority complex because I don't think she agrees with ADD. Thinking, everyone suffers with it on a continuum of some sort. Old school thinking I suppose.

For some reason, I won't ask her for help right now! BUT~ I will go down to my local community college and meet with an advisor.

Flory
10-09-14, 10:15 AM
I know how you feel girl my dad has a phd and mum has two different degrees and a masters. I'm over here like, how does being a grown up work :P
You would definitely do well to see a careers advisor :D xx

RobotInDisguise
10-11-14, 01:51 AM
i can relate to that as well. One of the biggest things driving me is the fact that I was there watching when my dad was working on his Ph. D. He'd put me on some game, usually chess, while he worked at the time. It's like I'm not gonna live in my dad's shadow if I can help it.