View Full Version : Best choice for a new comp?

RobotInDisguise
10-12-14, 07:37 PM
I'm looking to buy a new computer desktop laptop it doesn't matter. Touchscreen would be nice since even though I don't have the time I'm still thinking about getting my copy of photoshop from my parents' house and I don't like your normal tablets. To me its like keeping my paint collection and 100+ prismacolors even though I've not used that stuff for some time. Being able to handle games is a plus even though I've banned myself from playing when there's classes. Must be able to handle simulations. I'm willing to try windows 8 but i don't like it. And I'm willing to wait til Black Friday.

Not the most tech savvy person so any recommendations? Thanks

Flory
10-12-14, 07:38 PM
Mac book pro, great for creative stuff especially with the retina display!! Beautiful

Abi
10-12-14, 07:44 PM
Depends on your price range and your specific requirements.

Laptops are just better. The age of the Desktop is over.

The Mac Book Pro is a great choice if you're a Mac Person and have the cash.

For Windows machines, Go for HP or Lenovo. Sadly most don't come with Drivers for Win 7 anymore, and MS officially no longer offers support for it, so you're stuck with Win 8. 8.1 is fairly decent you can revert to the traditional desktop environment

Abi
10-12-14, 07:59 PM
Here are some options on ebay in the 700 - 850$ price range:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-15-6-HP-x360-2-in-1-15-u010dx-Touchscreen-Laptop-i5-4210U-2-7GHz-8G-750G-/181512951860?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item2a4303d834

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Flex-14-Touchscreen-14-8GB-Intel-i5-128GB-SSD-Dual-Mode-Laptop-/131262660825?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item1e8fdd40d9

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-new-In-box-unopened-HP-ENVY-LEAP-MOTION-Touchscreen-Laptop-with-4-/141421862402?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item20ed665e02

RobotInDisguise
10-12-14, 08:48 PM
Thanks thought about getting a Mac from my schools bookstore before only issue is I'm not sure if its good for schoolwork or gaming and keeping me sane during summers is a must

Stevuke79
10-12-14, 09:04 PM
my experience is that (except where explorer or microsoft networks are necessary) my iPad is just about the best computer I've ever had.

I'm pretty sure that laptops make no sense anymore.

I say if you're not going to get a hardcore gaming desktop, get a tablet. My next one will be a surface - since it uses explorer it may become all I ever use.

Flory
10-12-14, 09:06 PM
What kinda games are we talking about !

I'm the same Steve since having an ipad and iPhone I rarely if ever use my laptop

dvdnvwls
10-12-14, 09:07 PM
I don't know gaming - however, gaming and Mac have not traditionally (i.e. in the 90s and early 2000s) been the best of friends. If gaming is important, ask the people who really play the games you want.

For schoolwork, you're totally fine either way unless some stupid person absolutely requires you to use Microsoft Word, or unless you're taking a specialized course that needs specific software. Most certainly you can write school papers with no difficulty on any computer that isn't an antique.

Laserbeak
10-12-14, 09:12 PM
Get a 15" MacBook Pro with Retina display. You won't be disappointed.

dvdnvwls
10-12-14, 09:21 PM
Linux (a free system instead of Windows that runs on the same computers) is worth investigating if you're not afraid of computers. Ubuntu (one of the ways of getting Linux) is easy to install and works well.

RobotInDisguise
10-14-14, 12:45 AM
No iPads not an option since I need to do some programming. I'm liking the stuff u showed abi. Might get one of those from best buy since it's not a good idea to mail stuff to my house

I thought about the newer Linux machines as well. My only concern is that a lot of games are not available on Linux and i use stuff like Skype and raidcall to hang out. Not sure if I can get rc on a Linux.

Jayson
10-14-14, 02:16 AM
If you are a gamer, linux and mac are absolutely out of the picrure.

A laptop with dedicated graphics and as much ram as you canget is what you are looking for. Though to be real honest with you, there is no afordable laptop that will be really good at gaming.

you will be better served buying a middle of the road laptop for ps and other work, and a console for gaming.

if you have your heart set on gaming on a laptop, expect to pay at least 1k for it. There isnt much worth gaming on for less than that. If the cost frightens you, just remember that console games are on a whole, a lot more expensive than on the pc. Most steam sales have really great games for fractions of the price of console games.

Asus republic of gamers laptops are usually pretty good.

Laserbeak
10-14-14, 05:57 AM
Macs are fabulous for programming -- you can program for everything from UNIX stuff, Mac OS X stuff, all sorts of web stuff, iPhone/iPad stuff, even Windows stuff on them!

midnightstar
10-14-14, 06:27 AM
Toshiba laptops are good, don't go with Dell though (my experience of Dell was the laptop I was bought started going wrong at only a year old and from about two years onwards I had to have the dell laptop plugged in 24/7 because it wouldn't even switch on otherwise)

stef
10-14-14, 06:28 AM
OK I just saw that you don't want an Ipad;

but just throwing this out there for anyone: if you have an ipad but type a lot, get a bluetooth keyboard! Especially if you learned to touch type, because then the virtual keyboard is basically useless except for short texts.

RobotInDisguise
10-14-14, 04:30 PM
It's nice for that but my issue is i cant run stuff that I need for school on an iPad and already got a iphone that I'm using to browse these forums lol

Abi
10-14-14, 04:47 PM
Yeah iPad folks some us are are programmers and mathematicians and the like - we actually need real computers.

Laserbeak
10-17-14, 01:24 AM
Yeah iPad folks some us are are programmers and mathematicians and the like - we actually need real computers.

No, the iPad is not for programming. You can't even program itself on it, you need a Mac.

Maurice
10-17-14, 02:58 AM
Don't go Apple, I have a MacPro and it SUCKS!

Go Android!

Laserbeak
10-17-14, 03:05 AM
Don't go Apple, I have a MacPro and it SUCKS!

Go Android!

User error.

Abi
10-17-14, 05:16 AM
:lol: