View Full Version : Adderall No Longer Working Very Well?

Level42Shaman
10-13-14, 11:20 AM
Hey guys, first post so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section or something.

I was always a smart kid; got great grades in school, high scores on SAT, went to a great college etc. But after changing my major to something I had no experience in (fine arts) that required a great deal of focus I found that I simply couldn't perform at the level of my peers, which ended up (along with other things) leading to severe depression.

Well I finally graduated, and after several tries finally got tested for ADHD. No surprise, I have "severe" ADHD. This diagnoses came about a month and a half ago, and I was prescribed 10mg of Adderall XR (generic, if that matters).

The first three or four days were fantastic. I sat down and drew for 6-8 hours a couple days, got some coding done, and really felt like I could finally focus. Like...this is what normal people are like? It felt like I had been living in a fog my whole life and that I had finally emerged into a functional human being.

After the fourth day however, the effects dropped off...hard. I could focus for MAYBE four hours maximum, with some days better than others. Before I headed South where I had a freelance job lined up, I went back to the doctor and he upped my dose to 15 mg XR and told me to come back in a month.

Well the 15 helped a bit more, but I ended up going back and he upped me to 25 this time. Now the 25 is pretty good...like 5-6 hours on a really good day. But with the amount of catch-up I have to do, as well as making money to live off of and pay bills etc. I really need as much time as I can get.

I'm not chasing the high or anything, I just want my medicine to eliminate this weakness that feels like its holding me back. Is it possible that Adderall just isn't the right drug for me? Or am I just supposed to keep getting higher and higher doses? I can't go back to my doctor until mid-November, but I'd like to have a plan of attack when I do. I don't just want to keep upping my dose forever...

Thanks for reading!!
-Jeff

cmjchris13
10-13-14, 02:26 PM
This happens to everybody. After a couple days of daily use all of adderalls positive effects will diminish because of your tolerance and the fact that your body is stimulated all day for days. If you really want the full benefit of adderall then id suggest taking it every other day or every 2 days. Other than that you will get watered down effects and if your okay with that then go ahead.

Level42Shaman
10-13-14, 03:04 PM
Is this what most people do to treat their symptoms? Take it every other day or so? I was under the impression it was better to keep a consistent level but I don't really know much about this, considering I just "started". Thanks for your comment!

sarahsweets
10-13-14, 07:02 PM
It is better to take it everyday. The whole fear of tolerance is overrated.

cloud1
10-13-14, 10:16 PM
Been taking Adderall for 7 years. At 1st it was great. Focused, did better at work, cleaned my house all the time, was happy and lost a ton of weight. After a couple of years I noticed it wasn't the same anymore. (That was around the time they changed the formula and Barr bought the the brand or whatever) Anywho I've been taking it everyday and it's like taking a sugar pill all these years later. I agree that you should take breaks. My 13 year old takes her Concerta only on school days and not on the weekend or during breaks. Her grades have shot up.

You have to find the right dose that works for you. You will know it when you find it. Not too wound up, focused and confident that you can get stuff done.

I'm not sure if it will help you forever, but it will probably help you now and the near future. No drug is a miracle cure. Good luck!

Laserbeak
10-14-14, 05:50 AM
Adderall XR only lasts 8 hours at best, so you're not crazy nor a drug-seeker (necessarily :) ).

When I was on XR I required two doses to keep me through the day but now, for insurance purposes, I have switched to IR three times a day and it seems to work well for me. I take 20mg immediate release 3x per day.

Your needs may vary.

Level42Shaman
10-14-14, 09:13 AM
Thank you all so much, you've been incredibly helpful! I'm going to talk to my doctor next month about maybe getting a couple lower doses instead of one big one. Thanks again!

Demonoid
10-14-14, 11:25 AM
This exact same scenario happened to me. It's been a couple months on it now and I've been a bit depressed that it's not working the way it did the first few days. Not even close. I'm off work and am also going to get physio, neurofeedback, and get in to a workout routine. This is a last ditch effort to change how I function in society or it will cost me my job. My job requires accurate and precise problem solving and taking what I've learned and applying it. My ADD is so severe to the point where I have to relearn everything over and over, it never sticks and I just come across as a total idiot. My focus has improved a little bit but far from enough. I'm on 20mg XR and it seems to get me through the day. I do have more energy and don't require constant napping. I'm trying to stay positive and hoping that with time it will get better but doing a lot of reading on here it doesn't sound very encouraging. I'm going to try taking a day off just to see what happens.

"It is better to take it everyday. The whole fear of tolerance is overrated"

Why? and how so?

Content ID
10-14-14, 04:01 PM

Why? and how so?

Taking it everyday allows not only your body to become acclimated to the medication but you have symptom control/relief too. ADHD is present all day everyday in people that have it.

Tolerance really is played out,
if you take your medication EXACTLY as prescribed and don't "Experiment" with it your tolerance shouldn't really rise. That and if it does it's again your body acclimating.

I think people are to dependent on the "Rush" they get from Adderall, remember you take medication for Controlling ADHD, not to amp yourself up...

I find that if I stick to a strict dosing schedule by taking it everyday at planned times not only does taking Adderall help control my ADHD, it also builds a routine to insure my successful future.

Babylon5
10-14-14, 07:25 PM
Yeah, tolerance is a b*tch. The only solution I know of is Memantine, and possibly magnesium.

Maurice
10-14-14, 07:52 PM
This exact same scenario happened to me. It's been a couple months on it now and I've been a bit depressed that it's not working the way it did the first few days. Not even close. I'm off work and am also going to get physio, neurofeedback, and get in to a workout routine. This is a last ditch effort to change how I function in society or it will cost me my job. My job requires accurate and precise problem solving and taking what I've learned and applying it. My ADD is so severe to the point where I have to relearn everything over and over, it never sticks and I just come across as a total idiot. My focus has improved a little bit but far from enough. I'm on 20mg XR and it seems to get me through the day. I do have more energy and don't require constant napping. I'm trying to stay positive and hoping that with time it will get better but doing a lot of reading on here it doesn't sound very encouraging. I'm going to try taking a day off just to see what happens.

Why? and how so?

Yeah I totally understand. I remember having the exact same problem. When I first started taking Adderall XR 25mg. It worked great for the first few days. Then around 16:30-17:00 the effects wore off. I would be very tired and had none of the benefits I had before.

I went back to my doctor and told her the problem I was having in the late afternoon. Her solution? Two Adderall XRs per day instead of just one. It has worked great!

As far as medicine "vacations" go? Too many of the best decades of my life were not only a lot more difficult than they had to have been, But I was also on an "unmedicated vacation.

Heba213
10-15-14, 04:47 AM
I started recently with Zenzedi and adderall and after 7 years of just Adderall this seemed to strike the perfect balance. I don't seek a high either

sarahsweets
10-15-14, 06:13 AM
Demonoid: its better to take it everyday because the consistency is more important than the fear of tolerance. I'm not saying tolerance never happens but its a lot more rarer then you'd think. At prescribed medical doses its less likely tolerance and more likely a confusion between euphoria and if its working in a medical sense.