View Full Version : Clarifications on Ritalin tolerance issues

DarkGhost909
10-13-14, 02:16 PM
I've recently seen that many of you post about issues with Ritalin tolerance. We all know what tolerance means - at first, you felt like the medication had been extremely effective, but now you feel it's not too effective in treating your symptoms.

There are some things I would like to clarify about this matter.

1. The euphoric feeling you feel at the beginning of the treatment SHOULD fade away after a while. Don't expect it to last a lifetime. You should only start worrying about tolerance when you notice you're unable to concentrate on Ritalin any more. It's not rare, though, to raise the dosage after 2-3 months of starting the treatment once, and then staying with the same dose for years. Also, the appetite reduction effect of Ritalin will fade away too, which means you might lose a lot of weight at the beginning of treatment, but you'll return to your normal weight eventually (the appetite reduction usually lasts no longer than 1-2 months). To sum up, If you're feeling like you can't concentrate well on Ritalin, that is a sign of tolerance.

2. The effectiveness of Ritalin is determined by many different factors. Bad nutrition, lack of sleep and dehydration will greatly reduce the effectiveness of Ritalin, and that might be mistaken for tolerance. Eat well, drink a lot and sleep a lot in order to maximize the effectiveness of the treatment.

3. Taking Ritalin before or after food does matter. Ritalin is metabolised by the liver, so by eating a short time (10-20 minutes) after taking Ritalin, you would force your stomach to metabolise at a faster rate, which means that the effect of the Ritalin would be stronger, but it'll also last a shorter amount of time. But sometimes, eating on a full stomach can also decrease the absorption of Ritalin. Make sure to take Ritalin at least 30 minutes before or after meals in order to not interfere with the metabolism rate of Ritalin.

4. Stress and Ritalin don't go well together. Getting stressed and anxious while on Ritalin will cancel its effects quickly. It gets worse - getting stressed on Ritalin cancels the effect for the WHOLE DAY - if you get seriously stressed or anxious about something while on the effect of Ritalin, you can say goodbye to your focus that day, because even when you stop being stressed and calm down, the Ritalin still won't work that day. The stress ruined the effect until the next day, and that's why you should try to avoid any kind of stress, fear or anxiety while on Ritalin.

I hope I cleared a few things up in that post. If you've got any questions, please post them here and I'll be happy to answer them.

Have a good day!

Lunacie
10-13-14, 02:48 PM
Thank you for making these good points.

Cyanide
10-14-14, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the post, nice summary and good information. I'm curious though, what's the reasoning for stress negating the positive effects of Ritalin? Not arguing the point, now that you mention it that could be one of my issues. Just curious!

sarahsweets
10-16-14, 04:42 AM
Great post!