View Full Version : Grain Brain

of_two_minds
10-14-14, 09:30 AM
It's been ages since I've been on this forum.

Does anyone have knowledge of so-called Grain Brain? On the one hand, there's science behind the theory. On the other hand, it's referred to as a fad diet. (from what I know, the idea is that hi-carbohydrate diets negatively affect brain function).

My wife suggested I try eating South Beach Phase 1 for a week to see if it helps clear my head.

I'm trying it. As of Day 2, I don't notice a difference, but it's probably too early to tell.

Is this experiment worth trying? South Beach eating is not easy.

Sekhmet2014
10-14-14, 06:26 PM
I try to stay low carb. I think it helps. If anything, by avoiding sugar, I avoid those mood swings that I can get from crashing after eating so much as a cookie!

phantasm
10-14-14, 11:02 PM
It's been ages since I've been on this forum.

Does anyone have knowledge of so-called Grain Brain? On the one hand, there's science behind the theory. On the other hand, it's referred to as a fad diet. (from what I know, the idea is that hi-carbohydrate diets negatively affect brain function).

My wife suggested I try eating South Beach Phase 1 for a week to see if it helps clear my head.

I'm trying it. As of Day 2, I don't notice a difference, but it's probably too early to tell.

Is this experiment worth trying? South Beach eating is not easy.

Welcome back, Of Two Minds..

I was just told about this book and am waiting to get the book on CD from the library. The concept sounds really good to me, and makes lots of sence as far helping lift the brain fog. I know carbs/sugar is an issue for me, so that's why I wanted to learn more about this. Now if I can get some hand cuffs for my will power. :doh:

sarahsweets
10-15-14, 06:26 AM
I think the type of carbs is what differentiates between the theory of brain functions. Any food high in the useless sh+t thats in sugar laden carbs will cause a spike in blood sugar followed by a crash. Complex carbs seem to be more steady and useful.

stef
10-15-14, 06:37 AM
I agree; I really can't see myself not eating pasta and rice.
but I feel MUCH better, eating more fruit and vegetables and less packaged cookies, candy bars etc.

I cannot never have any chocolate or sweets; they have really nice organic milk chocolate here, for example. (If I tell myself to not eat something I will do the exact opposite...)

phantasm
10-15-14, 01:33 PM
(If I tell myself to not eat something I will do the exact opposite...)

I am the same way, It is like I'm being blindly controlled. :(

Unmanagable
10-15-14, 02:01 PM
I haven't read the book, but I worked closely with a nutritionist who helped me navigate a lot of dietary confusion I was trying to sort out. The most critical and helpful lesson I learned was to not to try to follow diet plans being marketed and work harder at keeping it real in all things I eat and drink. I slowly replaced the unhealthy and toxic stuff in my kitchen with more wholesome versions.

The highly processed synthetic versions of food are what trips us up. We assume it's safe, but our bodies need the real thing (ain't nothing like the real thing, baby), not the stuff created in some lab to mimic the real thing. Much of this stuff was created to help fight world hunger, and while that stuff may keep our bellies from growling, it does not nurture our bodies healthily.

I did gluten free for a couple months and I noticed huge positive improvements in brain fog being lessened, much less body aches from inflammation, and I had more energy. It was a gradual and slow improvement, but it was very clearly an improvement. I don't totally avoid it now, but I can tell when I've had it. Same with sugars. I no longer used processed white sugar for anything.....only raw cane, coconut, and/or local raw honey.

of_two_minds
10-15-14, 03:45 PM
Well, this is day three. I've been sticking to a low carb diet, with only a few exceptions. I have avoided grains, (wheat, rice, etc.), high sugar fruit (bananas), foods with added sugars (aside from some spaghetti sauce that I had over sauteed zucchini).

I've eaten none of the foods I eat a lot of: cookies, candy, baked goods, etc.

So far, there's been no change whatsoever. No cravings, either.

sarek
10-15-14, 04:00 PM
I have pretty much eliminated wheat from my diet. I have been doing that for about three weeks but havent seen that many changes.

Unmanagable
10-15-14, 04:14 PM
I feel I should mention I had a s*** load of issues going on other than just adhd, so my improvements were covering a lot of areas. If you're in fairly good physical health to begin with, though, it may not affect you as greatly. It took at least a month before I was able to clearly recognize any improvements. Wishing good things for you in your pursuits.

InvitroCanibal
10-17-14, 10:05 AM
Look into the ketogenic diet. The issues arose from the 1950s fad and onward of cutting out fat from our diet. Fat doesnt make you fat, it's sugar that is doing it. We consume 110 pounds of sugar each year. 30 pounds of it is consumed via soft drinks. Our brains live and thrive on fats. The fats need to be diverse, but yes all fats. I've felt good since doing the ketogenic diet. I feel mentally sharper in terms of my memory and I feel more stable in my life and energy levels.

It isnt that carbs are the death of us all it is that high carbs and low protein low fat doesnt work for our brains and bodies. You'll never get steady blood sugar levels on a high carb diet. Protein is good for the body but most don't realize that when they cut carbs their protein and fat intake go up. It is that increase in fat that improves their mental wellbeing in my opinion.

HADDaball
10-18-14, 07:51 AM
once you dig into the research, stuff gets complicated...

i won't bother going into it..

When it comes to diets I think of pets, like dogs.

pets have boring meals but they live long.

when you take the dog to the vet sick, the first thing the vet usually asks is 'what did you feed it'?

I wonder if people are much different.

HADDaball
10-18-14, 08:27 AM
like, i walk past the pet store and see gunea pigs.

It has a bowl of like carrot and crunchy salad stuff. another bowl is like pellets ?... some kind of starch and protein?

its ironic.. they say don't feed it sugar and junk food.. it will likely die early

again I wonder.. are people any different ? :)

HADDaball
10-19-14, 07:26 AM
I went wheat free for a while and i don't think there was any difference..

I see people slamming grains because they have antinutrients.

They are only an issue if you don't cook them enough.

A pressure cooker really helps here.

Jshect
11-19-14, 04:07 PM
I haven't read the book, but I worked closely with a nutritionist who helped me navigate a lot of dietary confusion I was trying to sort out. The most critical and helpful lesson I learned was to not to try to follow diet plans being marketed and work harder at keeping it real in all things I eat and drink. I slowly replaced the unhealthy and toxic stuff in my kitchen with more wholesome versions.

The highly processed synthetic versions of food are what trips us up. We assume it's safe, but our bodies need the real thing (ain't nothing like the real thing, baby), not the stuff created in some lab to mimic the real thing. Much of this stuff was created to help fight world hunger, and while that stuff may keep our bellies from growling, it does not nurture our bodies healthily.

I did gluten free for a couple months and I noticed huge positive improvements in brain fog being lessened, much less body aches from inflammation, and I had more energy. It was a gradual and slow improvement, but it was very clearly an improvement. I don't totally avoid it now, but I can tell when I've had it. Same with sugars. I no longer used processed white sugar for anything.....only raw cane, coconut, and/or local raw honey.

I'm glad there is someone on here who has actually been brave enough to try cutting out all grains, rather than arguing against the original premise of this thread by repeating outdated science. You have tried eliminating grains and have had positive results which is great. I am now reading Grain Brain and will contribute more to this thread as I read. It turns out ALL GRAINS may be bad for you, even slow-releasing multigrain, whole wheat, because the grain we eat today is not the grain our ancestors ate. A few "smart" scientists did hybridization and created a new type of grain (wheat) that grew quickly, and more abundantly and thought this would help cure world hunger. It turns out that our bodies do not digest and process this grain very well and it can cause leaky gut and systematic inflammation of your entire body, including your brain, which may be why I experience severe brain fog (notice I said may). The author of grain brain goes on to say, while it may effect some people dramatically (celiec disease) it may be effecting everyone to more or lesser degrees, so it is totally worth trying a grain-free gluton-free diet for a month or two.

of_two_minds
01-08-15, 04:32 PM
Wow--going back to when I first posted, I had no idea it was mid-October.

Anyway, I've been on and off with it. Mostly on. I'd do five days at a time, then slip back to wheat for a day or two. The longest was about two-three weeks.

Aside from feeling a little better in my lower GI (less bloat, e.g.), and more noticeably, feeling sick when I would eat wheat after abstaining for several days, I haven't noticed any other differences at all.

Cameron80
04-14-15, 09:33 PM
I haven't read the book yet but I believe that going grain free is the best decision I ever made. I have much more energy than before and I've weaned myself off caffeine almost completely. My energy is much more consistent throughout the day and I don't need to sleep as much. Really, it's like night and day. As for my diet, I'm a big believer in eating animal fats such as organic bacon and cooking bone broths from organic chicken. Lunch is always had with a salad which includes organic veggies. I make raw yogurt which is great for the gut. I would've laughed at this stuff 5 years ago, what little did I know....

There's a lot of press about being gluten free these days and while being gluten free helped me a little bit, there is simply no comparison to being grain free IMO. There are so many bad snacks that are marketed as gluten free that damage the gut. If ya don't believe me then try the gluten free pretzels they sell and tell me if you feel like running 5 miles. Lots of pretzels, chips and other stuff that is just wise to avoid IMO.

bluelephant
11-29-15, 12:38 PM
I believe 1/6 Celiacs are diagnosed as ADHD.

ADHDTV
12-17-15, 05:04 AM
Although I've never gone fully 'paleo', eating low-carb has definitely made my mind work against me a little less. I tend to feel more of a 'grain brain' after a night of drinking or something though, and it's more prominent since quitting bread. When you're all carbed-up, you end up not even noticing the grain-brain anymore.