View Full Version : Dexedrine or Adderall, Please help,

CrashBandicoot
10-15-14, 06:06 PM
This question is for those here that also have moderate to severe social anxiety. I asked this on the socialanxietysupport forum but I haven't had any replies yet so I'm going to post it here.

Ok here's the thing, in a few weeks, I will be going out with a group of people. As you can see this has me extremely concerned and It's pretty much become an emergency. I need to have access to something that will allow me to be comfortable, confident, talkative and hopefully likable. I have a relatively short time to acquire it.

Ok I've been looking up a whole bunch of info on Dexedrine and Adderall (had these two on my radar for years). It is believed by both my doctors that I have ADHD so a prescription for it is likely within my reach. I keep hearing how Dex is a more smoother drug than Adderall having less side effects and a smoother come down. I've also heard that Dexedrine may be even better for social anxiety than Adderall. I read many people claiming how people won't be able to tell that you're on something (unless close friends) like Ritalin.

But I also came across a few threads that stated that DEX felt weaker to them than Adderall. Another con I read was, that some people said that Dex didn't relieve them of their verbal fluency issues like adderal did. That's a big problem and I read how Adderall helped abolish this issue for them while on it. like a fog cleared up for them. I'm going to need the med that will most likely abolish that issue for me so I'm kinda having trouble choosing between the two.

And should I take XR or IR and what dose should I go with?

For those who have extensive knowledge and experience with these substances please help me figure out which one I should go with?

CrashBandicoot
10-15-14, 11:30 PM
WOW, NOBODY, omg I got 1 ******* day to make a choice.

Pilgrim
10-15-14, 11:58 PM
Ive never tried Adderall but I take Dexamphetamine.
Had a few of the others though.
Really does help with any sort of anxiety. Just getting the right dose is important.
IR works better.

Greyhound1
10-16-14, 12:21 AM
Hey Crash,

I switched from Adderall to Dextroamphetamine about 4 mos. ago and it has been great. I switched mainly due to increased anxiety when wearing off and heart palpitations.

To me, Dex. is much smoother and easier to focus with. It stimulates my mind without over stimulating my body.

Adderall stimulates my central nervous system too much. It's the 25% Levo amphetamine in Adderall which gives your nervous system that kick. That kick is what caused all my negative side effects.

wonderboy
10-16-14, 01:52 AM
If you have an anxiety disorder, it is difficult for me to envision why
a physician would prescribe a stimulant medication, as these drugs
could markedly increase anxiety.

You also mentioned "verbal fluency" issues. If you read the official
Prescribing Information for either drug, you will find symptoms stated
such as: "increased verbal tics" "stuttering" "expressive aphasia"

Based on your diagnosis, my opinion is that another group of medications
might prove as more efficacious.

Hope this helps.

sarahsweets
10-16-14, 04:05 AM
Adderall contains levoamphetamine which can make anxiety worse. Dexedrine is straight amphetamine which can be easier for someone with anxiety.

Matt329
10-16-14, 06:19 AM
OK this is a biased, PERSONAL account of the two medications which I have over 2 decades of experience taking (yes, been on them since I was 4, argh).

Remember this type of question should really only be asked to a doctor, and ONLY a professionals advice should be taken with consideration. No one else period! Just food for thought.

I'll outline the pros and cons imo, but let me make a very basic statement to which I believe personally. DEXEDRINE/DEXTROSTAT based products, (not vyvanse), are not only CLEANER, but seem to put much much less strain on your body and mind. They are also EXTREMELY helpful in getting tasks done. Adderall, when it begins to take affect, seems to amplify enjoyment in whatever task you are doing at that time. Period. Dexedrine/Stat makes you TURN off the tv, video games whatever, and start doing work. It can sometimes be unhealthy how FOCUSED you get on something. I'm talking OCD focused. If you want to get things done, and do NOT expect a party drug, this is for you. Anyways my personal list based on MY personal experience and nothing else:

Adderall IR Pros:

- MUCH easier to obtain a script, MUCH MUCH easier to get filled
- Hundreds of dollars cheaper depending on generic, location, and insurance
- Does not carry the negative stigma, comes in bigger doses
- More initial body energy, more speedy

Adderall IR Cons:

- Dirty feeling, shaded and cloudy thinking. Like caffeine dirty sometimes
- Tweaked out much easier
- Levoamp seems to tire your body, heart, and mind out much much quicker
- Makes you procrastinate terribly. Suddenly facebook is amazingly interesting
- Weaker, yet other times too strong. You never know.
- Amphetamines each kick in and ware off at different times, leaving your mind and body exhausted/confused
- More recreational than medically beneficial
- More people know this drug, therefore will try to buy/steal them off you if they know you get a script
- Dry skin, acne, muscle soreness, racing heartbeat. PNS effects. Body and mind racing.
- Horrible anxiety
- Easier to abuse due to higher dosed pills
- Comedown is smoother yet worse because it comes in waves as each amphetamine wears off at different times.

Dexedrine/Dextrostat IR Pros:

- CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN feeling, clear thoughts, processes, actions.
- GUIDES you. Makes you feel useless if you aren't doing something productive.
- In non-abused doses, ALL mental stimulation. Your brain is limitless while your body is ever so relaxed.
- Pain killing affect. I know this is a rare one, but the mental high is so powerful that it can initially eliminate minor pains.
- Stronger, makes it's presence known. You know what you're in for with pure Dex and no other amps. No surprises. This makes it much easier to know when to dose so you can control symptoms when it's most important to you.
- Strong and clean euphoria
- Anxiety reducing, especially in the social aspect
- Easier to preform sexually
- I can go on and on.

Dexedrine/Stat IR Cons:

- Very hard to obtain a script for some people, very hard to find/order the meds. You will have to develop and maintain strong, trustful relationships with BOTH your Dr. and your pharmacist in order to make sure each month is smooth and you get your meds no problems!
- Expensive any way you look at it, even with insurance. Expensive to maintain a script for. Time consuming also.
- Easy to get addicted/dependent like Adderall, but even more so I feel like since you do not feel nearly as many negative effects and can keep going and going.
- Comedown is ROUGH and hard hitting, but happens all at once and is over with quicker. So this can be a Pro or a con.
- Shorter acting
- Generics are very very limited, whilshire is terrible
- Makes you very sexually active, leading to bad choices/decreased excitement in sex when not using the drug.

I'm leaving out plenty, but these are the core differences to me! Hope I helped. Remember this is just my personal experiences and opinions.

CrashBandicoot
10-16-14, 10:53 AM
If you have an anxiety disorder, it is difficult for me to envision why
a physician would prescribe a stimulant medication, as these drugs
could markedly increase anxiety.

You also mentioned "verbal fluency" issues. If you read the official
Prescribing Information for either drug, you will find symptoms stated
such as: "increased verbal tics" "stuttering" "expressive aphasia"

Based on your diagnosis, my opinion is that another group of medications
might prove as more efficacious.

Hope this helps.

Yeah I already know about it's suppose anxiety increasing effects, however, for many people with SOCIAL anxiety and not just generalize anxiety, it lowers it tremendously for them. the dopamine stimulation helps them enjoy socializing more and they tend to seek social interaction when on it. This has been known for quite some time now.

wonderboy
10-16-14, 03:55 PM
Yeah I already know about it's suppose anxiety increasing effects, however, for many people with SOCIAL anxiety and not just generalize anxiety, it lowers it tremendously for them. the dopamine stimulation helps them enjoy socializing more and they tend to seek social interaction when on it. This has been known for quite some time now.

So does alcohol..........

But seriously, it works for you, and you are not using it to simply feel less inhibited, and more likeable because of that, or to feel euphoric which assuages social fears, then perhaps it may work for you and others in this regard.

I would also like to make note that it is obviously your situation we are talking about, which may be unique.

But I stand by my previous post in this thread (as an opinion....and only an opinion)

Laserbeak
10-17-14, 02:15 AM
I've never taken Dexedrine, only Adderall, so take this with a grain of salt.

But, Adderall includes S-Amphetamine which, when it crosses the blood-brain barrier, becomes much more consciously active, if you know what I mean. You feel a conscious "kick" whereas D-Amphetamine works mainly in the background and is not so consciously noticeable. Some people need/like the kick, some people don't like it.

It's up to you and your doctor to decide.

Heba213
10-21-14, 02:08 AM
I have been on Zenzedi after being on Adderall for years, and I can agree with the poster. I had social anxiety, mostly low self esteem. Adderall helped me with many of my symptoms but I was shocked after being on it for years at the same dosage it beginning to dissipate. The Anxiety became more pronounced and my doctor asked if I was willing to try this I assume "Brand" name Dex. I can say thus far, the pros as one of the above poster mentioned. Is clean, and to me not addictive but I never have had that issue, and allows me to concentrate the way Adderall used to, but no anxiety or headaches et al. To each its own