View Full Version : Non prescription alternatives?

highgear56
10-16-14, 06:56 PM
So due to an incident a year ago where I had coffee with Concerta and nearly went into cardiac arrest, I've struggled since I stopped my Concerta treatment.

I'm inattentive, easily distracted, can't get motivated and if I try to sit down and study and focus on other tasks around the house I feel like my mental strength tapers off. I'm sure a lot of you have similar symptoms.

I wanted to ask if anyone has had success finding ways to experience Concerta in a sense without actually taking it. I'd rather not risk my health again and becoming attached to a drug, despite how great it worked and how much mental focus and motivation I had and how euphoric I felt.

Maurice
10-16-14, 07:05 PM
So due to an incident a year ago where I had coffee with Concerta and nearly went into cardiac arrest, I've struggled since I stopped my Concerta treatment.

I'm inattentive, easily distracted, can't get motivated and if I try to sit down and study and focus on other tasks around the house I feel like my mental strength tapers off. I'm sure a lot of you have similar symptoms.

I wanted to ask if anyone has had success finding ways to experience Concerta in a sense without actually taking it. I'd rather not risk my health again and becoming attached to a drug, despite how great it worked and how much mental focus and motivation I had and how euphoric I felt.

Yes, exactly, I have the same issues. I went without my Adderall XR for four long, miserable years. Not because it was my choice. Just could not find a doctor I really trusted.

I have never heard of an "almost heart attack." Is that what a doctor told you or did you come up with this on your own? And since you were drinking coffee when you almost had a heart attack, how about giving up he coffee instead of your medicine?

Besides that there are other medications that are not stimulants that help people with ADD/ADHD.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide to do.

namazu
10-16-14, 07:12 PM
Are you looking for euphoria, for better focus and ability to work, or both?

Concerta's really meant to provide symptom relief, not give you a euphoric feeling. (Though it often feels pretty damn good to be able to function when you're used to struggling!)

When you say "nearly went into cardiac arrest" -- do you mean you experienced some kind of irregular heartbeat / arrhythmia, or had a severe panic attack, or something else?

Caffeine is also a stimulant, so the combination of that with Concerta can hit some people very hard. It's possible that if you were to try Concerta again, but drop the caffeine, that you'd do just fine.

Have you had an EKG to check for heart issues? What did your doctor suggest?

Most of the natural pill-type alternatives to Concerta would also be stimulants -- caffeine, various other natural stimulants that get sold as supplements or put into energy drinks, etc. Thus, they'd also carry some risk for elevating your blood pressure or causing irregular heartbeats, especially if you take enough to make an appreciable difference in your ADHD symptoms.

Cardiovascular exercise (running, swimming, biking, walking, dancing, etc.) can also produce beneficial effects. Exercise causes your brain to release chemicals that make you feel good and can also enhance focus. So if you're not already working out regularly or engaging in any sports or active hobbies, that might be something to consider adding.

There are also a few non-stimulant medications approved for ADHD that you could ask your doctor about.

highgear56
10-16-14, 07:20 PM
If you check my post history, I made a thread a year ago about my near cardiac arrest.

I've had tests done to check my heart, yes, and the doctor says everything is fine, though my bp right now is just slightly elevated. But for a week after I had that concerta incident my blood pressure was still high and id have about 100 beats per minute even before I slipped into bed. I'd rather not relive that day but I remember dialing 911 about to call the ambulance because I almost blacked out in class because my heart rate and palpatations were out of control.

Ill admit these days I've gotten lazy on the diet and exercise so I need to start that again. But even when I was trying to diet and exercise I was never able to come close to how productive and attentive I was with concerta. I just have this preference now where if I can avoid medication all together that would be great.

Flory
10-16-14, 11:06 PM
If you check my post history, I made a thread a year ago about my near cardiac arrest.

I've had tests done to check my heart, yes, and the doctor says everything is fine, though my bp right now is just slightly elevated. But for a week after I had that concerta incident my blood pressure was still high and id have about 100 beats per minute even before I slipped into bed. I'd rather not relive that day but I remember dialing 911 about to call the ambulance because I almost blacked out in class because my heart rate and palpatations were out of control.

Ill admit these days I've gotten lazy on the diet and exercise so I need to start that again. But even when I was trying to diet and exercise I was never able to come close to how productive and attentive I was with concerta. I just have this preference now where if I can avoid medication all together that would be great.

It sounds more like an anxiety circle with palpitations and vice versa than anywhere near a cardiac arrest to me. Trust me 100bpm feels like a lot but I've gone all the way up to 160 with acute food poisoning (ended up needing IV fluids and meds) and sometimes up to 120 with anxiety and I'm still standing no cardiac arrest yet . The panic makes it feel 100 times worse than it is.

Id talk to your prescriber, anxiety and palpitations can be a teething problem with meds that eventually settles down when your body has gotten used to the dose. If you were feeling euphoric im chancing A guess that you hadn't been taking it that long

BellaVita
10-17-14, 12:08 AM
Sorry but 100bpm isn't near cardiac arrest, I was hospitalized before for tachycardia resting heart rate of almost 200. (Was sick after coming back from Africa)

Corina86
10-17-14, 04:06 AM
I've tried and I am still trying various supplements, I exercise and have a healthy diet, but nothing is quite like the medication.

I often have slightly elevated blood pressure (140/90) and high pulse (100), even when I'm not on Concerta (due to anxiety, stress, lousy sleep and being neurotic by nature), but on Concerta, the pulse and blood pressure tend to stay up for longer. My cardiologist prescribed a beta-blocker and a sleeping aid for me and my heart readings are ok now. I take Concerta XL- 18g/per day- the smallest dose possible.

If you can't stabilize your heart with meds or you'd simply rather not take heart medication (I heard they are hard to quit once you start taking them), then I agree it's best not to take stimulant medication for ADHD either- personally, I'd rather live with ADHD than risk dying. Maybe non-stimulant medication might work for you, but you have to ask your psychiatrist about that.

Also, if Concerta is causing you high bp or pulse, then coffee or green/black tea are probably doing the same, so they are just as unsafe. And, if you have predisposition to heart issues, diet and exercise are very very important for your health, especially as you get older.

BOCK102
10-17-14, 09:28 AM
I've tried Phosphatidylserine and DMAE in the past and think they might have helped a little. There's some old research on both stating they might be effective but not sure how reliable the research is! Also strong coffee seems to calm me down.

highgear56
10-17-14, 11:51 AM
Just to clarify, I said my bpm was 100 right before I went to sleep, when I stopped taking concerta. When I had the crazy palpitations and high bp the bpm was significantly higher, probably closer to 200. My bp was about 190/140.

Anyway I've been reading up on concerta and what I gather is that it's basically legalized mild form of speed/cocaine. I doubt this is good for you in the long run. Not going to lie though I do miss the stuff sometimes.

Flory
10-17-14, 12:21 PM
There are other options, drugs like strattera for instance