View Full Version : Ritalin dosage: too much is not enough?

senzapaura
10-19-14, 09:28 PM
Hi all. I've been on a journey for 2 years trying to find a reliable treatment for my inattentive ADD. My first attempts with Ritalin were not good—I felt so drugged the first time I took 10 mg of Ritalin, I spent 6 hours in bed. However, over time, I found that 5 mg was kind of helpful, then I needed 10 mg to feel an effect, then 15, and now it takes 20 mg for me to feel anything.

In between I tried other meds: Ritalin ER, Concerta, Vyvanse, and Adderall. They were either horrible or ineffective (at one point I was on 56 mg Concerta!). But no longer can I get the 1-2 hours of good quality concentration I used to get with Ritalin in the early days. Nowadays, when I take 20 mg, I usually get about 15-20 minutes of excellent motivation/concentration. Then it fades into a feeling of agitation and annoyance for about the next hour, then I feel nothing at all. I'm currently taking 3x20 mg per day, but only feeling the useful effect for a tiny portion of the day, if at all (sometimes I take a 20 mg and never feel anything at all).

I've tried taking with and without food, and neither produces satisfying results. My doc is at a loss for what else I can try. I mentioned dexedrine once and he scoffed, as if to say he would never consider prescribing it, so I didn't insist. I'm at a loss to understand how it takes 20 mg of Ritalin to have an effect, but it wears off too quickly and leaves me feeling ****** off. Is it me? Is it the meds? Anyone have advice? Thanks in advance.

Pilgrim
10-19-14, 10:10 PM
Normally in this situation a doctor may vary the meds.