View Full Version : I feel ugly (A confession) **trigger warning**

BellaVita
10-20-14, 03:35 AM
Guys I have been dealing with this for a while now....

Especially as of late.

Like, people tell me I'm gorgeous and beautiful and sexy but my brain just doesn't believe it.

I always feel I'm not good enough - that I'm fat or I should do my make up better or have better clothes

I'm literally in tears right now.

I know inside that my brain is feeding me lies but it isn't helping and I feel worthless and ugly.

Like not ever attractive "enough"

I always compare myself to other girls

I don't even mean to I just do it it's because of my bad childhood where my dad used to check me out and my mom used to compare me to her beginning at a very young age - she always said I was prettier than her and made me comfort her

I struggle deeply with this issue every day.

Little Missy
10-20-14, 04:04 AM
Pretty is as pretty does. And you are beautiful. In the right way.:)

stef
10-20-14, 04:34 AM
You already know, your brain is feeding you lies!
try and follow the wonderful advice you have given someone else, in another thread today :grouphug:

Abi
10-20-14, 05:32 AM
:grouphug: (((Bella)))

Fuzzy12
10-20-14, 05:35 AM
I know this is not the issue but I'm going to say it again anyway. I've seen quite a few pics of you and yes, you are absolutely stunning both in absolute terms and by comparison. What's more though is that you've got the personality to back up your looks. You are kind, funny and intelligent. What's even more is that your worth doesn't really depend on any of these things. You are worthy and the world is a better place because you are in it!!!!

I understand though that the brain isn't that easily convinced by facts. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

midnightstar
10-20-14, 06:43 AM
You are a beautiful person Bella both inside and out :grouphug:

Stevuke79
10-20-14, 05:34 PM
As a few people said, perhaps you don't really think you're unattractive. You're very pretty and I hope you can see that. But when we look at ourselves we're not trying to "evaluate" ourselves because why would we do that? I think it's more natural when we look at ourselves to look at ways to improve.

And when we are overwhelmed by what we need to be and what we need to accomplish, .. when we look at ourselves all we see is ugly. It's important to know that no one else in the world sees that.

BellaVita
10-21-14, 12:59 AM
Thanks guys - and thanks for the kind and thoughtful words.

I feel pretty embarrassed that I posted this. :o

But it was kinda like therapy for me, good to get off my chest.

sarahsweets
10-21-14, 04:45 AM
Unfortunately I think feeling not good enough physically is a thing most women struggle with.

silivrentoliel
10-21-14, 06:43 PM
I'm not going to say it's easy to work on self esteem... most girls have a low self esteem, whether they will admit it or not... I do too... I hate so much about me... but lately, rather than hating myself as much or comparing myself to people... I make a point to shrug (whether mentally or actually) and tell myself that I'm decent, and that's ok for right now... I still know I look like crap, but somehow, telling myself that seems to help a little.

RobboW
10-21-14, 07:57 PM
Bella, I think maybe it's because you have some issues you deal with and maybe you feel like you don't deserve to be pretty.

Stop that!

You seem like a nice person to me, from what I've read on here. What's wrong with being pretty? That's something you can at least enjoy, as an up side from some of the things you deal with.

BellaVita
10-21-14, 08:53 PM
I'm not going to say it's easy to work on self esteem... most girls have a low self esteem, whether they will admit it or not... I do too... I hate so much about me... but lately, rather than hating myself as much or comparing myself to people... I make a point to shrug (whether mentally or actually) and tell myself that I'm decent, and that's ok for right now... I still know I look like crap, but somehow, telling myself that seems to help a little.

Hey! I think that may actually help me! Thank you siliv!

BellaVita
10-21-14, 08:56 PM
Bella, I think maybe it's because you have some issues you deal with and maybe you feel like you don't deserve to be pretty.

Stop that!

You seem like a nice person to me, from what I've read on here. What's wrong with being pretty? That's something you can at least enjoy, as an up side from some of the things you deal with.

Oh my goodness you are absolutely right. How did you get into my brain????

I don't feel like I deserve it, that I never have

I think it's because of how my parents treated me (they were abusive and I was sexually abused by my Dad - just using words but my therapist said it still was considered sexual abuse)

(Wow I'm admitting lots of stuff and it feels kinda scary :()

I'm really glad thought that I can be open and honest with you all, I'm pushing myself to open up a bit more so that I can heal.

RobboW
10-21-14, 09:08 PM
Words are like knives and cut deep, especially when they were heard whilst young, but they leave permanent scars.

We all deserve to feel better about ourselves. We didn't choose to have most of these issues, they were thrust upon us by careless words or defective genetics. We can only do what we need to do to get through our lives and be as happy as possible. Don't ever feel undeserving of happiness. It's a basic need we all share.

HADDaball
10-24-14, 01:44 AM
For me it's more important to be happy in my own skin..

I base my self confidence on doing good deeds, knowing that looks has no bearing on it.

BellaVita
10-24-14, 02:43 AM
For me it's more important to be happy in my own skin..

I base my self confidence on doing good deeds, knowing that looks has no bearing on it.

That's a good way to look at things. :)

mctavish23
10-25-14, 08:28 PM
Bella Bella Bella :D

Would U Like A 2nd Opinion ? :rolleyes:

Okay... UR Also Hot :faint:

u r welcome :cool:

(If It Makes U Feel Better, My Bill Is In The Mail) :yes:

Laserbeak
11-08-14, 12:43 PM
Pic please?

11-08-14, 06:22 PM
So I'll be the troll here.
I think beautiful and sexy are different things...
You want to be sexy, or you want to believe that ? Meh, I feel sorry for you. And for the rest who go "sexy".

Laserbeak
11-08-14, 06:58 PM
Pic please?

If that's you in your avatar you have nothing to worry about aside from your own insecurity.

sarahsweets
11-08-14, 09:22 PM
The times when ive felt most ugly are when ive been acting like it.

BellaVita
11-08-14, 09:35 PM
If that's you in your avatar you have nothing to worry about aside from your own insecurity.

Thanks, yeah that's me.

Good news - haven't felt ugly lately. Woo!

BellaVita
11-08-14, 09:36 PM
The times when ive felt most ugly are when ive been acting like it.

For me it's the worst when my social anxiety kicks up(and depression), or when I start comparing myself to other people.

BellaVita
11-08-14, 09:37 PM
So I'll be the troll here.
I think beautiful and sexy are different things...
You want to be sexy, or you want to believe that ? Meh, I feel sorry for you. And for the rest who go "sexy".

I would much rather be called beautiful. :)

It's actually one of my favorite nick names. :o

InvitroCanibal
11-13-14, 12:51 AM
Guys I have been dealing with this for a while now....

Especially as of late.

Like, people tell me I'm gorgeous and beautiful and sexy but my brain just doesn't believe it.

I always feel I'm not good enough - that I'm fat or I should do my make up better or have better clothes

I'm literally in tears right now.

I know inside that my brain is feeding me lies but it isn't helping and I feel worthless and ugly.

Like not ever attractive "enough"

I always compare myself to other girls

I don't even mean to I just do it it's because of my bad childhood where my dad used to check me out and my mom used to compare me to her beginning at a very young age - she always said I was prettier than her and made me comfort her

I struggle deeply with this issue every day.

That's not an easy thing to fix. I'm sure this type of thing is gender stereo typed but I'll be honest and say I used to have the same thing. It got pretty bad for me. But I did eventually get over it, it took a long time and I suffered from ut for a long time, since I was 11 I think.

Looking back now, I realize that the problem I saw wasnt the problem. It had nothing to do with looks, it was a need to feel significant. I realize that it began when I was bullied a lot, I never fit in with people. I think sub conciously all I wanted was to connect with people and be accepted. I thought it was how I looked that caused them to hate me so much.

Pretty soon I began to base love and acceptance with how I looked. It caused a lot of anxiety, daily mirror check, hospitalizations from self destruction. Just a lot of distress. I had to learn to adapt psychologically, and understand, meds wont help you with this. I had to first get rid of the habits. I figured that out by instinct, I've never actually been to a psychologist so I have no idea what they'd recommend. Continuing... I found the habit of checking was contributing and escalating it, I had to avoid mirrors at all cost. I then had to face the thoughts which was never easy, it required putting things into perspective.

Asking myself, where is this coming from? Is it valid? Is it productive/useful? That fixed the thought aspect but now I was back at square one. I learned, I had to be vulnerable. I was so terrified of rejection from people that I hid my personality away. In the proccess I remained unseen, so nothing about who I was could ever truly be acknowledged.

I had to find strength and self love internally, I had to develop a sense of faith that I could ask more of myself and succeed through much failure. I learned how to draw, how to paint, how to compose music in the span of a few years. But in truth that wasnt enough. In the end I realized the secret to self love and respect was truly caring about others and asking for nothing in return.

The strength came when I realized I could have a positive impact on a stranger. That I had the power to make others happy. That significance then was born from that. It didnt matter what I looked like, truly helping people made my life matter. Anyways as always I hope that helps.

P.S

Sorry about responding to so many of your posts but I just go wherever the wind takes me on these forums.

lucylove1990
12-08-14, 12:26 PM
Hi there. I also deal with self esteem issues. It's easy for me to say that you are probably very beautiful but I also know that doesn't usually help. I don't believe anyone when they compliment me and I think they are lying just to be nice. I wish I could help you but know yore not alone and feel free to message me if you ever need to talk.

Wowwowwow
12-08-14, 12:30 PM
Your hot,and nice...what a nice combination of attributes....

Procrasto
12-10-14, 12:25 PM
"Bella" what an interesting name for someone who doubts her own beauty.

Here is a little secret, all humans possess beauty. We are born with it. Finding it in others is pretty easy. It is usually a binary process, either the person meets our entirely subjective, preconceived notions and criteria (which, are usually superficial) or not. The challenge is often finding it within ourselves because we don't know what "it" is. How can you find something when you don't know that for which you are searching?

While the roots of the issue are likely deeper, my dime-store salve for most self-image things is to encourage the individual to go accomplish something and then another thing and another thing. Turn a series of small accomplishments into the process of becoming very proficient at something. We, as humans, derive so much of our self worth from what it is that we do. Unfortunately, what we "do" gets misinterpreted to "what do you do to make money." Every time you meet someone new, you hear "So, what do you do?" Unfortunately, that is code for "How much do you make and give me reasons to envy and dislike you or figure out if we should hook up so I can sponge off of you." Depending upon my mood, I sometimes blow people up on that question with answers like: "I'm a hiphop producer" or "I have a paper route" or my favorite "...nothing. What do you do?" A strong sense of self worth is indispensable in finding your true beauty.

There are lots of miserable, unsatisfied people who make sh*tloads of cash. I know lots of them. They derive their self worth from what the "do." Making money isn't a really fulfilling thing to "Do." Ergo, much of their misery. I know that from first hand experience.

So expand and/or improve what it is that you "Do." It can be getting better at your vocation or your avocation, learning a new skill, breaking down personal barriers and overcoming obstacles. Develop productive mental exercises write short stories, draw pictures (they don't have to be good, in fact it is easier to make progress if your first ones really suck), learn a new language, learn to play an instrument, etc.

You can give yourself a shot in the arm by adding in some physical accomplishments. In my experience, the brain loves a tired body that has been exhausted from hard work. It can be a simple physical task, climb a mountain (start with a hill), walk further than you think you can, get in shape, build a stonewall, stack some firewood, etc.

I always find that it helps to throw something in for the soul (in addition to the aforementioned accomplishments) so, help someone who is worse off than you.

You'll see your real beauty when you learn what it really is. It is a process of self discovery that doesn't involve the mirror. One day, you'll know what I mean.

Good luck.

tomsawyr
12-10-14, 12:55 PM
I don't like to look at myself in the mirror, I don't know why. I don't think I look handsome or ugly. I just get this "oh, yeah... it's YOU again" feeling.

midnightstar
12-10-14, 03:02 PM
Bella you are precious and beautiful :grouphug: and no I'm not attracted to women before anyone asks :o

BellaVita
12-10-14, 04:01 PM
Bella you are precious and beautiful :grouphug: and no I'm not attracted to women before anyone asks :o

Thanks midnight. :grouphug:

And thanks to everyone for the kind and thoughtful comments.

Yes, I'm learning that beauty goes beyond looks, and am trying to focus on other things about myself that are deeper and not so "appearance" based.

I think the world would be a much better place if people focused more on what's inside, instead of judging people so harshly on appearance.

Besides, it's what's inside a person that causes them to contribute greatness to the world.

rickymooston
04-07-15, 07:50 PM

Many years ago, I had a massive crush on a girl, about 2 years younger than me without knowing that her dad was constantly telling her she was "fat". Truth is, she was an A++ student, really creative but she ended up developing anorexia.

Now, my perspective has changed. It doesn't matter that she was in
fact gorgeous. This is wrong minded. What if she wasn't? Would an ugly girl deserve to effectively die of starvation? I'm not particularly attractive myself. Am I worth anything? Should I starve because I don't look like Tom Selleck used to look? Does the world only need "perfect" people for people to be worth anything to themselves or others?

I wish I could say, I know how you can fix yourself and your priorities? The truth is, it's probably insanely hard.

What I can tell you is, there are people who care about who are worried about you. They probably really want to help and don't have a clue what to do.

Anyway, don't give up. Because you raised this thread, I think you are trying.

I'm depressed myself at the moment but it's not clinical depression. There is nothing "wrong" with me. Life has challenges.

So, I offer you this. "Ugly" or not, hugs are available if you need. It won't fix your problem. It won't make you Angelina Jolie or whoever in the world is
supposed to be ugly. It won't make your Einstein either. But life is very very
short and we seem to focus on the wrong things.

TheChemicals
04-07-15, 08:33 PM
whats up ugly. Welcome to the ugly club. We make fun of the uglier people in this club. They are called the fuglies and below them are the un****ables. Compared to them we are pretty fckin secksy.

Corina86
04-08-15, 04:03 PM
I don't know what you look like and frankly I don't care. I don't need to like you physically to like you as a person. My favourite people in the world are people I don't want to see naked.

I struggle with this as well (feeling ugly). I often walk past people and expect them to say something nasty to me- I still believe they think low of me, even if they don't say anything. I feel that people who are complimenting me are only lying and stroking my ego- it means nothing to me. But I do take comfort in knowing that not everyone is shallow and most people do dislike more for my personality than my looks :D.

BellaVita
04-08-15, 04:09 PM
I don't know what you look like and frankly I don't care. I don't need to like you physically to like you as a person. My favourite people in the world are people I don't want to see naked.

I struggle with this as well (feeling ugly). I often walk past people and expect them to say something nasty to me- I still believe they think low of me, even if they don't say anything. I feel that people who are complimenting me are only lying and stroking my ego- it means nothing to me. But I do take comfort in knowing that not everyone is shallow and most people do dislike more for my personality than my looks :D.

I'm in my avatar.

But anyway, yeah most of my favorite people are the ones I don't wanna see naked haha

That's so sad about you expecting them to be nasty to you :(

:grouphug:

midnightstar
04-08-15, 05:50 PM
I'm in my avatar.

You're beautiful Bella, I bet you've got guys falling over each other to get to know you :grouphug:

BellaVita
04-08-15, 05:55 PM
You're beautiful Bella, I bet you've got guys falling over each other to get to know you :grouphug:

I already have a guy and am blind to all other men :) (thank you for the compliment)

midnightstar
04-08-15, 06:13 PM
I already have a guy and am blind to all other men :) (thank you for the compliment)

Even though you've got a man I bet you still got men admiring you when you're out and about :grouphug:

I'd date you if I was a man and if you were single :o

rickymooston
04-12-15, 02:18 PM
I'm in my avatar.

Figures. You have bad taste in women, just like my wife, who thinks
her most attractive qualities are ugly. She even had her eyes operated on,
which was annoying.

I do think, your solution about looking for "inner things" is what will
ultimately work for you and more important for somebody who isn't
blessed with your good looks who is experiencing potentially dangerous
eating disorders.

Daydreamin22
04-12-15, 08:34 PM
You're not, Bella!

anonymouslyadd
04-17-15, 01:14 AM
I'm sorry you battle with this. It's a terrible feeling. I can barely look at myself in the miiror and often feel ugly. It sucks.

icarusinflames
04-25-15, 12:41 PM
Do you experience the phenonemon that if you look at a picture of yourself that is not current (maybe it's last year or 2 or 3 years ago), you can see yourself as an attractive person, but if you look at a recent photo, you see the things that bother you about your appearance?

BellaVita
04-25-15, 04:56 PM
Do you experience the phenonemon that if you look at a picture of yourself that is not current (maybe it's last year or 2 or 3 years ago), you can see yourself as an attractive person, but if you look at a recent photo, you see the things that bother you about your appearance?

Yes and no.

When I look at myself in older pics, I do tend to see how much blonder and younger and thinner I looked.

I do miss the awesome shape I used to be in. (I'm still in good shape, but just not as athletic and my awesome abs are gone)

I am not a fan of taking pics of myself, sometimes I will. I guess I *do* like my longer hair now. It's taken me years to grow.

Sorry for the rambling. I'm not sure if I answered your question. But yes, I do experience that at times.

I'm learning to love myself more now.

Pilgrim
04-25-15, 05:04 PM
Always wanted really good abs.

icarusinflames
04-25-15, 06:42 PM
Sorry for the rambling. I'm not sure if I answered your question. But yes, I do experience that at times.

I think you answered it great. Very honest.

I think I have neurological issues, so my discomfort with my own appearance is more extreme. It dates back to at least age 6 or 7, when I remember looking in the mirror and being totally shocked at my appearance. I remember this as my first experience of really reacting to my own image in the mirror, and it was rather rejecting. I felt like I was so ugly, but actually I was and am an average looking person. In my youth, I was on the side of being attractive. I realized by the time I was 15 or 16 that I experienced a lot of discomfort in viewing pictures of myself, but if the pictures were older (such as 2 years old) then I could look and objectively see that I was an attractive person back then. But I always felt that I was not attractive anymore, not now. But then, flash forward 2 years, if I was to look back on those images, I was less connected somehow to that person as being "ME" and I could enjoy the pictures and recognize that I looked pleasant or nice or OK.

Yes I should probably mention this to my therapist, when I do get one. I'm actively trying now to get some help.

sarahsweets
04-26-15, 05:39 AM
I think as women at some point or another we go through a period of feeling ugly.

rickymooston
05-27-15, 09:17 PM
I think as women at some point or another we go through a period of feeling ugly.

I think so too. Gosh, I can tell story but I'd get murdered by those I love or have loved.

Men on the otherhand, tend to see their ugly only when comfronted.

BellaVita
05-27-15, 10:12 PM
I feel much prettier in my new avatar.

Just kidding, it's obviously not me.

psychopathetic
05-28-15, 12:54 AM
Bells...I'm gonna be honest with ya.

I think it's the mustache...

Just saying!

Oh Bells :*( my heart is going out to you so badly right now.
You really are beautiful, and you're such a tender and caring person which makes you beautiful inside too.
I /hearts my Bells!

:(
I wish I had the words to make you feel better.

I'm just here to give ya a great big e-(((hug)))

(((((((((((((((((((((Beautiful Bells)))))))))))))))))))))

Corina86
05-28-15, 12:51 PM
I remember being in a store once and seeing this girl... she was so bland, so pale, her face was asymetrical, her nose too big and her eyebags were down to her mouth. The best (or worst) example of resting-b***h-face I had ever seen. It took me a couple of seconds to realize (or accept) that I was looking at a mirror... The weird part is that I think I look pretty sometimes, then I remember that I think I'm ugly and I'm just confused... I feel like I look difference every time, in every picture or in every different mirror. I would like to know how I really look once and for all. I can accept being ugly, I just don't want to get any hopes up. Maybe I do look different at times, but if so, why is that and why do others usually look the same?

BellaVita
05-30-15, 05:31 AM
Bells...I'm gonna be honest with ya.

I think it's the mustache...

Just saying!

Thanks, I've been working hard to grow it. ;)

Oh Bells :*( my heart is going out to you so badly right now.
You really are beautiful, and you're such a tender and caring person which makes you beautiful inside too.
I /hearts my Bells!

I wish I had the words to make you feel better.

I'm just here to give ya a great big e-(((hug)))

(((((((((((((((((((((Beautiful Bells)))))))))))))))))))))

Awwww thank you for your sweet words psycho!

Your words DID make me feel better!

((((((((((((((((((((((Psychopathetic)))))))))))))) ))))))))

You have a wonderful heart, that really makes the world a better place.
:)

BellaVita
05-30-15, 05:35 AM
I remember being in a store once and seeing this girl... she was so bland, so pale, her face was asymetrical, her nose too big and her eyebags were down to her mouth. The best (or worst) example of resting-b***h-face I had ever seen. It took me a couple of seconds to realize (or accept) that I was looking at a mirror... The weird part is that I think I look pretty sometimes, then I remember that I think I'm ugly and I'm just confused... I feel like I look difference every time, in every picture or in every different mirror. I would like to know how I really look once and for all. I can accept being ugly, I just don't want to get any hopes up. Maybe I do look different at times, but if so, why is that and why do others usually look the same?

That story was so sad and broke my heart. (((((((((Corina)))))))))))

I totally know what you mean! I feel I look different almost every time I see myself, it is really confusing.

Hmm, yeah it's all so weird.

psychopathetic
05-31-15, 02:34 AM

((((((((((((((Corina))))))))))))))

chivalrouspal
06-26-15, 04:54 AM
Bella this feeling is normal, i get such a feeling (though not exactly about being handsome or not rather than the complete thing, looks/actions/dress) , it's self criticality that "maybe" related to adhd`s social anxiety but guess what almost all girls go through this! and the eternal girlish question comes "how do i look?" :D
Personally, if you are the girl in that picture and you are not one of the faceless cult from Game of thrones, you are pretty and feminine looking in any standard and that's not a complement of any type.

sarahsweets
06-26-15, 04:56 AM
Feeling ugly on the inside is 100% worse then the outside.

stef
06-26-15, 05:16 AM
I was just reading corina's post; it's so strange, catching a reflection of yourself unexpectedly; i can have massive resting b**** face if I'm thinking about something.

the strangest time this happened though, i was at the airport to visit my mom last year, and within the same 3 hours I had learned that my mom had in fact been admitted to the hospital overnight ,AND my flight was cancelled. anyway they put me on another flight and i was walking to the gate and turned a corner and suddenly saw my reflection; . you would have thought i looked awful but i actually looked quite pretty, maybe a little flushed, in fact I looked JUST like my mom when she would be a little preoccupied with something.

Only recently have I found myself actually pretty at times.

Corina86
06-26-15, 02:47 PM
@Stef

My mom was gorgeous when she was young! But I don't look like her at all, I look like my dad. He looked good in his youth as well though, for a guy. My brother is good looking and has always been very successful with the opposite sex. I never had any support for my low self-esteem from my family; my parents would joke about it and say that I need to study more since I can't rely on modelling for a living- they're right, but I didn't like hearing that. I didn't want to be a model, just to not be bullied by everyone anymore

My self-esteem is a bit better now, but still a lot of boys and young guys make fun of me for being ugly- random strangers that don't know me and I shouldn't care about them, but I still do. I don't wish to be good looking, I gave up on that a long time ago, I wish people wouldn't judge each other on looks and attractiveness so much.

This thread has been a bit triggering for me. I feel so sorry for the others here have low self-esteem, regardless what it's for.

BellaVita
06-26-15, 03:36 PM
Corina it makes me very sad and angry that your family made those kinds of jokes.

I think you're beautiful.

Beauty goes beyond looks, you display beauty and intelligence here from what I read in your posts.

I'm sorry this thread has been triggering for you.

It's a difficult topic and many of us have low self-esteem because of what others have said.

When I was little and went to camp I was voted ugliest girl in the cabin.

It stuck with me for years.

Really hurt.

Now I think back and see they just didn't like me and were maybe jealous or something, who knows. They wanted to pick on me, so they decided to hurt me in that way.

Little Missy
06-26-15, 03:44 PM
@Stef

My mom was gorgeous when she was young! But I don't look like her at all, I look like my dad. He looked good in his youth as well though, for a guy. My brother is good looking and has always been very successful with the opposite sex. I never had any support for my low self-esteem from my family; my parents would joke about it and say that I need to study more since I can't rely on modelling for a living- they're right, but I didn't like hearing that. I didn't want to be a model, just to not be bullied by everyone anymore

My self-esteem is a bit better now, but still a lot of boys and young guys make fun of me for being ugly- random strangers that don't know me and I shouldn't care about them, but I still do. I don't wish to be good looking, I gave up on that a long time ago, I wish people wouldn't judge each other on looks and attractiveness so much.

This thread has been a bit triggering for me. I feel so sorry for the others here have low self-esteem, regardless what it's for.

Corina, I am a firm believer in 'pretty is as pretty does' and you come on here time and time again and always give such honest and rational responses that are well thought out and kindly put.
That is beautiful to me.

Pilgrim
06-26-15, 03:49 PM
I use to have big problems with this. I'm tall , well built and I guess good features. But I'm white as. And living in Australia well, being tanned is in.
My favorite trick was going out to dark places.
I did find that people that do make fun of your appearance do have a problem themselves.

I made the awful mistake of probably putting looks high on the list. I now try to look into the person to see what's in there. That's where true beauty and character lies.

Pilgrim
06-26-15, 03:51 PM
Corina it makes me very sad and angry that your family made those kinds of jokes.

I think you're beautiful.

Beauty goes beyond looks, you display beauty and intelligence here from what I read in your posts.

I'm sorry this thread has been triggering for you.

It's a difficult topic and many of us have low self-esteem because of what others have said.

When I was little and went to camp I was voted ugliest girl in the cabin.

It stuck with me for years.

Really hurt.

Now I think back and see they just didn't like me and were maybe jealous or something, who knows. They wanted to pick on me, so they decided to hurt me in that way.

You're not ugly. Trust me.

BellaVita
06-26-15, 03:54 PM
You're not ugly. Trust me.

I finally did figure that out. :)

stef
06-27-15, 05:55 AM
Corina from how you write, ive always pictured you as very striking, that was terrible of your family and i wonder if you could be exaggerating whatever physical flaws you may perceive.

Silvermoonstone
07-19-15, 08:55 PM
Beauty is only skin deep. Embrace the freaky flaws and qualities one possesses, because we are all beautiful inside.

Semi off-topic:I may be way too old for it, but I love the Monster High videos. Way better role models than your pretty damsel in distress...true physical beauty is expressing on the outside who you are on the inside. I don't know why this thread made me think of Monster High, but it reminded me so.