View Full Version : Your preferred birth control method?

SpaceCase12
10-20-14, 03:43 PM
I recently started seeing someone and I'm wondering what birth control method works the best for you? The pill is obviously out-of-question for most of us. I tried the DEPO and I haven't had problems with it I'm just really sketched out about the calcium depletion. I'm also very skeptical about the IUD.

What have you found works the best for us inattentive types? I was thinking of trying a patch or something? I'm only 23 and a student working on two Bachelors so it is for the long term.. (at least 5 years possibly).

Any advice appreciated!

Chelsea

silivrentoliel
10-20-14, 04:45 PM
why is the pill out of the question for most of us?

Lunacie
10-20-14, 06:11 PM
why is the pill out of the question for most of us?

Because we can't remember to take a pill every singe day?

Back when I needed birth control I was told the pill is contraindicated for those with migraines.

Now they say no problem. Sheesh. Of course I would have forgotten to take them. ;)

I used an IUD. That was pretty much the only other choice since I'm allergic to latex (condoms).

Flory
10-20-14, 09:52 PM
Pull out and pray it's the catholic way ;)

No seriously I use the injection but have an IUD for now.
If I hadn't I'd have at least 4 babies.... Can't be trusted with the pill

RobboW
10-20-14, 11:17 PM
Abstination?

Lol, yeah, I know, not an option :-P

Drewbacca
10-21-14, 12:56 AM
My ex used a Nuvaring, it wasn't too bad, came out during intercourse once in a while but that's not an issue. She had some hormone issues from a cyst and had to stop using it, but I don't think that was related to the method of BC.

Flia
10-21-14, 02:46 AM
The pill can be out of the question for other reasons too. Most birth control pills contain progesterone, and I've seen on chat boards that it can make us real monsters (t ourselves and others).

Raye
10-21-14, 11:04 AM
Tubes tied :)

michaelaisabell
10-23-14, 05:49 PM
ive tried a lot of different types of BC. the pill was not for me cuz I couldn't remember to take it.
I tried Nuva ring which worked out ok since I only had to change it out once a week and it came with a TIMMER! lol but I was kinda weirded out by the thing sitting inside of me all week.
I did the depo shot and had the horrible side effect of bleeding for 6 months straight.
then I tried and IUD (mirena) and it worked well except that I often had a lot of pelvic pain. I was told this would go away but it never did so after a year or maybe longer I had it removed and what do ya know no more pelvic pain.

then I tried NFP and that was just too complicated and it was too many things to remember.

so now... I just use condoms. its easy and I don't forget them.

so basically im saying if your body reacts ok to the IUD it great, the nuva ring is great if the thing in your vagina for a week doesn't freak you out, but if none of those work for you, good old condoms are always easy and effective. :D

cheetsMcgee
11-03-14, 11:27 PM
I have the copper IUD and I haven't had any issues with it at all. I have had two kids, but I do believe even women who haven't given birth before can use it. It's called the Paragard. :)

11-04-14, 10:28 AM
Be an Antisexual. Even better if you're asexual. Solves all problems. And it may help with ADD ?

Stevuke79
11-04-14, 10:48 AM
Having a 6 year old who barges into your room unexpectedly and if heaven forbid you lock the door you hear a sweet little high pitched voice: "Mommy,.. what are you doing?"

For a kid who keeps telling us how she wants a younger sibling...

Lisa_Mac
11-04-14, 11:54 AM
menopause:D:lol:

Rebelyell
11-04-14, 11:55 AM
Coitus interrupt us baby! :p

guckling
11-08-14, 12:45 PM
Condoms coupled with natural family planning has worked for me. The only downside is that your partner has to be willing to wear condoms, and the family planning requires dedication to taking your temperature each morning and checking your cervical mucous (tmi??) throughout the day...

sarahsweets
11-08-14, 01:49 PM
A month after my third child
Was born I Made the appointment for hubby to get a vasectomy. I'm bipolar and could never tolerate the pill or shots and honestly I barely hung on with this last child and it wouldn't be fair to bring another one into the world. Plus I value my vagina and want to to keep its youthful figure.

fracturedstory
11-16-14, 01:57 AM
Currently from abstaining.

Probably rely on condoms.

The pill just led to my mood disorder and a strange Vitamin C allergy.

midnightstar
11-16-14, 07:16 AM
Abstaining or condoms I'd say :)

CheekyOne
11-18-14, 08:36 PM
I was skeptical about the IUD as well. I looked at both copper and mirena and after weighing the options, I went with the mirena. I had one for 5 years, got it removed and got another implanted within a week. I've been on the mirena iud for 10 years now and I don't have any weird side effects. I do still have my cycle but it is very light. I've heard some bad things about the copper one (I think it is an old school IUD?) but don't have any experience with it personally. I hope that you find a BC option that works for you.

paperdoll1990
11-22-14, 06:28 PM
I can't take artificial hormones (family history of blood clotting rules out using estrogen and I've had some bad experiences on the progestin-pill), so I just use condoms. If you're allergic to latex, there are latex-free condoms available - they may be more expensive, but still a lot cheaper than having a baby!

Also, perhaps during the most fertile times of the cycle, you could consider using non-penetrative methods of 'enjoyment' with your partner to reduce your risk. This can be just as pleasurable for you both and it reduces your risk of pregnancy.

Wire Mother
11-23-14, 05:49 PM
I had a bad time of it while on the pill, and eventually had to go off it--but not because I forgot to take it. During the 6 months or so I was on it, I kept them next to the coffee maker in my kitchen. I have never, ever, ever in my LIFE forgotten to make coffee in the morning, so once I'd switched on the pot and was waiting for it to brew I'd take my BC.

I don't know if the contraceptive sponge has ever made it back onto the market here in the US, but they were the best choice for me. I used to go to Canada to stock up on them after they got pulled here. When I ran out, my then-BF and I either used condoms or stuck to all the other (non-vaginal) ways of enjoying ourselves.

MrsNewton
11-24-14, 08:05 AM
I used a copper IUD, but I had it removed because of excessive cramping during my period. They're not recommended for women who haven't given birth, and I understand why. It certainly worked well, and it was nice to not have to worry, but I wouldn't recommend it for women who haven't been pregnant.

I also tried the spermicide tabs prior to that, you insert them prior to sex, (up to 3 hours) and they dissolve. They worked well and it was last minute enough that I didn't forget.

Vivid_thoughts
11-26-14, 02:15 PM
Easy - I had the snip!!!!

For those who wish to take the pill - or have other meds - greatest app on the planet (for android, not sure if it's on Iphone) - Medhelper. I swear by it, completely free, put you neds in, the times and doses, it will pop up in your notifications to tell you at the time what to take and when.

I'm asthmatic and I really would forget 60% of the time to take my inhalers - but I don't due to this app.

lucylove1990
12-08-14, 12:46 PM
Condoms. But I'm not sexually active enough to worry about it lol.

I was on birth control pills for 10 years. I tried yaz, Yasmin, ortho tri cyclen and ortho tri cyclen lo. I experienced too many negative side effects including constant mood swings, acne, periods all over the place, migraines that lasted days, bloating, dizziness, nausea. I finally went off in May and I have never felt better. I feel like a completely different person.

The shot made me gain so much weight so I didn't get it a second time and I can't stand the thought of an implant/ring/Iud sitting inside of me. I'm weird. It freaks me out to think about a foreign object in my body lol!

So I use condoms when I actually have sex.

tinybike
01-16-15, 01:16 AM
Being gay is quite convenient birth control!

b.gile
01-16-15, 01:14 PM
i really liked family planning combined with pull-out (pulling out during fertile times), but i got pregnant the second month of doing that. haha!

i'm now hoping breastfeeding as birth control is as great as some sites make it sound...but from what i've asked around, its not. sigh, i can already imagine another unplanned pregnancy right after i'm done with this one. i don't like hormones and don't want to take them while breastfeeding, and the copper iud is not an option for me. i guess i'll either suck it up and take hormones after this baby, or the next unplanned one (oh lord help me).

Lunacie
01-16-15, 01:31 PM
i really liked family planning combined with pull-out (pulling out during fertile times), but i got pregnant the second month of doing that. haha!

i'm now hoping breastfeeding as birth control is as great as some sites make it sound...but from what i've asked around, its not. sigh, i can already imagine another unplanned pregnancy right after i'm done with this one. i don't like hormones and don't want to take them while breastfeeding, and the copper iud is not an option for me. i guess i'll either suck it up and take hormones after this baby, or the next unplanned one (oh lord help me).

Perhaps your hubby could take some responsibility for birth control since
you're not really comfortable with your options?

Twiggy
01-16-15, 04:52 PM
I prefer condoms. I've never taken any Pills for birth control.

I don't like the idea of taking hormones.

b.gile
01-16-15, 06:53 PM
Perhaps your hubby could take some responsibility for birth control since
you're not really comfortable with your options?

i won't go into the gory details but fraid not (he's not being an ***, just is the facts of it, shrug).

Lunacie
01-16-15, 07:36 PM
i won't go into the gory details but fraid not (he's not being an ***, just is the facts of it, shrug).

Condoms didn't work for me, allergy to latex. This was before non-latex brands.
Hubby wasn't interested in a snip, although his little brother got that done. :yes:
After bad experiences with IUD's I finally had a laparascopy done.
Just so I wouldn't have to deal with trying a bunch of different things.

Aimie29
01-18-15, 11:38 AM
I had tried several different birth control methods! Regardless if I was sexually active or not, I figured I struggled to take care of myself, it just couldn't take care of another life. My absolute and I swear by it the Merana (5yrs iud). I didn't have to forget about taking it and refilling it. As contrary to popular belief, women who haven't had children can still get the IUD. Now that I am in a better place, well I still think I am pretty horrible at taking care of myself, which might be that I am a people pleaser. I am in a very healthy and supportive relationship, having a child would be a joyous blessing. I take my birth control everyday with my ADHD medication. So forgetting isn't very often!

Best of luck!