View Full Version : Vent Thread

Uberend
10-21-14, 03:09 AM
Vent thread. I always post a vent thread because I think it's good to get your feelings out there and not let them fester and build - nasty business

I got diagnosed two years ago and at the start I was actually relieved. But my lofty ambitions and faith in medication soon wore off and I'm starting to realise now that life isn't going to be as easy as taking a heavy dose of methylphenidate. Based on the career thread on here and my experiences as an undergraduate, I feel like I'm going to hit a brick wall in my late 20s where things will just become unmanageable. I feel infuriated because things like being on time, being in a functional relationship or even holding down a steady job seem out of reach.

I have just finished college and I feel like my life is over.

Any one else need a good old f**king rant?

Uberend
10-21-14, 03:10 AM
I definitely have SCT

Pilgrim
10-21-14, 06:38 AM
You will be surprised what a good mental attitude will do. I was like you believing the medication will fix everything. My Psyciatrist said to me routine for you is very important.
I appreciate your challenges that's why I responding to this thread.
Your going where I want to go. There are some other tricks to keep afloat. Have you tried mentor or coach.

Raye
10-21-14, 11:54 AM
Recently and surprisingly, only one vent
right now.

The SSA and how backed up they are with
appeals and hearings.

eclectic beagle
10-21-14, 11:57 AM
Vent threads always seem to descend into mass paranoia. I hope this one is different.

Crosswired
10-21-14, 12:05 PM
Hi Uberend. I was undiagnosed up until age 34. After barely graduating college, I managed to get an entry-level position at a major bank. At this point I thought that maybe all I needed was to mature and take things seriously. Little did I know that I was doomed to fail because of a hidden disability that everyone, including myself, only saw as laziness.

After 5 years of toiling in the same position and several lateral moves I became despondent and depressed as I watch my peers move up in the company and build their lives. I began to drink and became an alcoholic. Lost the job and everything else.

I was finally diagnosed with ADD in rehab 3 years ago. One thing you have working for now is youth and self-awareness. Use all the tools you can. Buy books and research your condition. Make decisions keeping in mind that your brain is wired differently. One thing I never did was plan ahead or set any sort of goals. I just lived one day to the next with no clear direction to my life.

Find something that you are passionate about and plan accordingly. I am starting over at age 38. It's tough, but I refuse to let ADD beat me. Keep up the fight good man!!

MLB1985
10-21-14, 09:01 PM
Uberend- I understand your frustration job wise. I'm 29, soon to have my Graduate degree and no steady job.

My rant? Fairly tame, but I've had a bad day attention wise (AND I took my Adderall). I left the burner of my stove on for 4 HOURS without noticing. Thankfully I have electric, not gas.

Yesterday I left a half full pot of food on the stove and forgot about it too. The heat was off, so it didn't burn fortunately.

I hate my forgetfulness. Like some of you, I was not diagnosed until my adult years (I was 26). Even now I'm having difficulty paying attention to finishing this post.

Uberend
10-22-14, 02:38 AM
Definitely with you on that Pilgrim. I listened to a lot to the hip hop album Illmatic by Nas last summer - it definitely took the grim edge of things for me.

Right now I''m in a very basic job and I'm just getting a game plan together for my life based on everything I know doesn't work after under graduate. I'm also sorting some form of medication and getting fit which is always a start..

Thanks crosswired, helpful words. The point about our brains being wired differently is spot on - two years after diagnosis I realise that jobs that demand precision and organisation are actually far out of reach and that we need jobs that are specifically ADD-friendly. Have you had a

Has anyone else had any success in the workplace? I'm not talking about getting promotions in the first week, or organising the biggest project of the year - finding ways of not loosing credibility in th workplace, probably my greatest fear

Uberend
10-22-14, 02:47 AM
How have things been going after the diagnosis?

Tmoney
10-27-14, 07:43 AM
I will agree that venting is healthy as long as after your done you do the things necessary to change the frustration in our life.
I wasted a lot of years in my 20's and 30's because I didn't accept and take my disorder seriously. I suffered more then I should have and it took its toll on me.

Once I accepted my disorder and changed my life to doing whatever was necessary to be happy and healthy I truly began to enjoy life and be successful!

Let it out and then move on to making your life better!

Uberend
10-29-14, 07:42 AM
I'm not really sure what you mean? How do I take my disorder seriously?

mbrandon
12-03-14, 12:37 AM
I only sought treatment at 29 because I felt my life was spiraling out of control and I knew something is off with me and my brother actually said "because you're ADD" and FINALLY the light bulb went off.

Why am I telling you this? Well one, life hasn't been THAT hard for me but as I get older and less is planned for me, more responsibility, more difficult jobs, it is just getting overwhelming. And I can only see it getting worse. I agree basically with your late 20's assessment of difficulty, its been true for me. I am so tired of the struggle I just want to sell everything and live homeless somewhere warm.

If I had the luxury of knowing in college I hope I would have done things different than just keep on scraping by every day and every year. You really need to find a career that you wont be held back by your ADHD and embrace it. I don't know what that is for you and I don't even for me. Maybe try becoming a scuba instructor at some resort in the Caribbean. That's probably as ideal a ADHD job as you can get. You get to work easy hours, "work" with cute girls in swimsuits, and did I mention Caribbean? I think I should take my own advice.

Lemontigger
01-15-15, 03:03 PM
Exactly what I need - a vent thread. I'm bummed bummed bummed bummed bummed. Tired of dealing with my add issues (among them / frequently sharing too much, hard time retaining instructions, hard time hiding my emotions, hard time moderating the volume of my voice, excitability, interrupting and talking over others, task avoidance, disorganization). Meds help greatly - but I still have a harder time than others and it's obvious. No-one cares why - when it comes right down to it, as a functioning adult, I am supposed to handle these things. Been diagnosed for almost 20 years now and I'm just tired of dealing with it. So there.

finallyfound10
01-19-15, 12:28 PM
You are still young enough that it doesn't have to go that way. Seriously, you are ahead of the game in many respects! Take meds, go to therapy, join a support group, read all of the books that are recommended here. You don't have to crash and burn!

Elizabeth83
02-18-15, 10:39 PM
I feel like you did Crosswired, I feel like I don't have any direction in my life. I live too much in the present. I have a terrible memory and planning ahead seems to be impossible. I can set goals but it's like they fade away out of my mind unless I have a post it note or paper in front of me stating my goal. I have been bringing so much more awareness to my condition these past several months. I was diagnosed in middle school but I never took the time to learn about how my mind works up until now. I'm sure it's just my new awareness making it seem like my add has worsened. I like reading you guys' rants.