View Full Version : Diet Coke and Anxiety?

Crosswired
10-21-14, 07:58 PM
I was just wondering if anyone out there experiences a rise in anxiety when they drink Diet Coke or other drinks with artificial sweetner. I tend to drink a lot at night when my meds wear off and find myself having anxiety out of no where. Thinking the caffeine/aspartame may have an effect.

sushigirl
10-22-14, 07:16 AM
You better off drinking real coke (less often) than anything with aspartame. Aspartame is the cause of a lot of symptoms and illness after prolonged use.

It might be related to your anxiety, but it might be the caffeine also. You should try something different to keep you energy up. Exercise? :D i know it's not fun...

midnightstar
10-22-14, 07:41 AM
I can't drink either diet coke or coca cola - it gives me stomach ache :grouphug:

Corina86
10-22-14, 07:55 AM
Aspartame shouldn't give you anxiety, but it might mess with your insulin levels and that might trigger anxiety. However, caffeine definitely triggers anxiety.

sarahsweets
10-22-14, 10:23 AM
Its the caffeine.

Unmanagable
10-22-14, 12:22 PM
Diet sodas (all sodas) are toxic land mines that can mess with every aspect of your health, sometimes immediately, and other times, long term damage, speaking from personal experience.

Pilgrim
10-23-14, 01:39 AM
My brother is addicted to Diet Coke. Could drink 2 2 Litre bottles a night.
He did this to treat his ADD. And other reasons, this did not help him. To many chemicals.
The caffeine is the trigger for anxiety. I think if you have to drink Coke ,go classic.

Leann8806
01-18-15, 09:48 PM
I've had so much trouble with aspartame! My family is diabetic, my mom and my dad's, so when I was growing up, I drank Diet Coke. I drank it as far back as I can remember. I had IBS, and had tingling all over my body and hair loss.

In 2011 I started a new job and I would buy a 1 liter bottle of it and take it to work. I was dressing my 6-month old one morning and I couldn't feel the left side of my face all of a sudden. I panicked, but after a few hours it came back to normal.

In 2012 I stood up after watching a movie and I fell because I couldn't feel my legs. At that point I developed tremors, or like tiny muscle spasms all over my body. I thought I had MS. I went to my doctor. He did some tests and they all came back normal.

In 2013 I did some internet research about my symptoms and I found a lot about aspartame and how bad it is for you. December 31, 2013 I had my last Diet soda and I have improved SO much! My hair is not coming out. I don't have numbness and tingling anymore but the muscle twitches are here to stay I'm afraid.

If I do accidentally ingest aspartame, and it's in a LOT of foods/drinks - I get bad anxiety and my hair starts coming out. Bad bad bad stuff.