View Full Version : Folding and Ironing routines

jess30
10-21-14, 09:44 PM
Has anyone got any tips for consistently getting the folding done and back in the shelves//drawers?

I have managed to get into a routine for getting the washing done consistently which is an improvement but there's always a backlog of loads to be folded.

Once folded I am getting much better at putting them away so it's really just getting the load folded that is the problem.

Ironing I have always struggled with.

All and any tips welcome!

Maurice
10-21-14, 10:59 PM
Has anyone got any tips for consistently getting the folding done and back in the shelves//drawers?

I have managed to get into a routine for getting the washing done consistently which is an improvement but there's always a backlog of loads to be folded.

Once folded I am getting much better at putting them away so it's really just getting the load folded that is the problem.

Ironing I have always struggled with.

All and any tips welcome!

I wish I could help you out here. The reason I answered is because I should be doing laundry right now. Either I'll get to it here in a little bit or it will still be there for me to do tomorrow lol.

I don't iron period. I only buy permanent press. As far as folding goes, I am good at folding anything that is square or rectangular. When it comes to weird shapes like T-shirts, forget it. I will either roll them up military style or just put them on hangers.

I generally just throw socks and underwear in the drawer or whatever because folding them or whatever makes NO sense to me and the weird shapes screw with me. And I don't and won't worry about having wrinkled socks or wrinkled underwear, who's going to know the difference?

That's just my solution, sorry I couldn't be more help.

jess30
10-21-14, 11:20 PM
As far as folding goes, I am good at folding anything that is square or rectangular. Too funny!
Did you put your load in in the end or not?! I think it's called procrastination.... :p:

I don't worry about wrinkled socks or underwear either and my mum would die if she saw the way I fold other stuff! It's good enough for me.

You might like to know one thing that does help me is cheap alarm clocks with a never ending ring, i have them lined up in my laundryroom!
They are all named and I set them to go off and remind me that I have a load to hang out... or bring in from Outside... or Inside.. or the Dryer... It really works but I do have to do my bit and follow through without further ado.

I'm right now googling the topic so will see how I go.

jess30
10-21-14, 11:24 PM
With the clocks. The main thing is I have to remember to USE them! Like one time I hid them when we were entertaining and I forgot their existence for months. I was so frustrated that the laundry was all piling up again and even when I finally found the clocks I still was a blank as to what they were for... it was after that I found out I have ADD.

Unmanagable
10-21-14, 11:29 PM
I hang most stuff on hangers. I iron nothing.

If it's a little wrinkled, I hang it and spritz it with water that has a very small amount of rubbing alcohol and peppermint essential oil (my own version of a spray wrinkle releaser) and let gravity take over. I do that with things that don't get dirty and I wish to wear a second time, too.

If it goes straight from the washer and/or dryer onto a hanger, chances of it making it back to the closet are great. Otherwise, it remains in the laundry room until I want to wear it again.

jess30
10-23-14, 07:24 PM
Brainwave... I've started using a very simple home made dial thing but boy is it working awesome..... LMK if anyone wants to know more :)

Flory
10-23-14, 07:31 PM
LOL I dont iron, i do however for some strange reason enjoy doing laundry, it may sit in the machine for 3 days and have to be rewashed but it gets done eventually....

jess30
10-23-14, 07:34 PM
I do enjoy it too but I got fed up with finding loads in the machine 3 days later!

Little Missy
10-23-14, 08:02 PM
Sometimes I think the only thing I do love to do is laundry. Fold it nice and warm, lots of careful and perfect ironing. Even better is running every appliance at once and I think I'm really getting stuff done. Sick.:lol:

Flory
10-23-14, 08:06 PM
i just love the smell of fresh laundry i buy loads of heavily scented detergents and fabric conditioners, it makes my home smell gorgeous

Maurice
10-23-14, 08:35 PM
Flory, does the smell of fresh laundry in the morning smell like VICTORY!?

Little Missy
10-23-14, 08:37 PM
Flory, does the smell of fresh laundry in the morning smell like VICTORY!?

I go for napalm scent myself.

Flory
10-23-14, 08:58 PM
that it does, Maurice

Eaaqas
10-23-14, 11:43 PM
My wonderful wife just did a deep house clean a few days ago. Now I have a rack to hang every piece of clothing on and she does too. No more of this "which drawer does this go into?" stuff where I spend hours separating clothing to no avail.

I've tried everything to keep my house clean. What ended up doing it was having a laundry basket right next to my bed for all clothes worn that day (clean or dirty), a drawer for all of my awesome socks, and hanging the rest.

As for ironing: Just buy sports jackets to wear over top ;)

Pihlaja
05-15-17, 05:48 AM
I'm resurrecting an old thread to add what works for me.

Putting clean clothes away is one routine I don't have problems with. Mainly because it's so simple I just can't avoid doing it. Clean clothes are either on the drying rack or in the closet. I fold everything as I take them off the drying rack and immediately take them where they belong. This only takes a few minutes since there's only one load of laundry to fold at a time.

Ironing.. I avoid it as much as I can. I only iron clothes for special occasions. I dry shirts on hangers so they are good enough for everyday use without ironing.