View Full Version : looking for an ADHD-aware primary care dr. near Tempe/Phoenix

michaelaisabell
10-23-14, 05:35 PM
hello, this is my first time using this forum so if I do something weird forgive me :)
ok so here my history. I was misdiagnosed with depression as a teen and young adult then in my twenties I was given a diagnosis of "mood disorder NOS" basically saying I have a mood disorder but they don't know what it is because I don't fit the criteria for depression or bipolar etc. I was determined SMI (seriously mentally ill) at that point and tried on about 100 different bipolar meds that only made my problem worse and had horrible side effects. probably because I don't actually have bipolar disorder.

recently I saw a very good psychologist whom came highly reccomemded. I went to her with the suspicion that I might have been misdiagnosed and that I actually have ADHD. after getting a history, talking to me and my family members, some forms, etc. she decidided that I do have ADHD and that I was misdiagnosed all this time.
I have been working with her on ways to improve my orginazational skills, avoiding procrastination (which im doing right now btw) and working on my impulsive outbursts when im stressed.

ok so long story short because I was deteremined SMI and the way Medicaid works here for people who are SMI I cannot get into a psychiatrist for a few months. (I have to be case managed and see a psych dr. at a specific location in order to get meds but I closed my case a few years back when I didn't want to be on bipolar meds anymore. so not im reopening my case but I cant get into the dr for a few months because they are soo backed up)

ok so again long story short I want to try medication but I need to go to a pcp who will accept the diagnosis from my psychologist and help me get on meds until I can be in the care of the psych dr in jan.
I am in the Phoenix/tempe area and was wondering if anyone knows of a pcp who take medicare and/or Medicaid (ahcccs) who will prescrible ADHD meds for a few months until I get into the psych dr.
thanks in advance
mm:eek:

Maurice
10-23-14, 06:16 PM
Try this:http://www.doctor.com/Family_Doctors-Medicaid

Good luck!

Flory
10-23-14, 06:16 PM
welcome michaela,

it sounds like you had a really tough time, im sorry to hear youve had to go through all of that. but im hoping you can come to terms with this new diagnosis, youre probably feeling a whole range of emotions about it but the good news is that at least what youve struggled with all of this time has been diagnosed and you can start taking steps to making things at least a little better.

hopefully another member here can suggest a good doctor for you.

all the best

flory

michaelaisabell
10-23-14, 07:05 PM
Thanks. It has been a crazy journey but after all of this I feel relieved that something finally fits! I have done a lot of research on ADHD and it all fits. This has been my problem all along.
all my other diagnosis or rather misdiagnosis just never made sense.
im just glad I know what is going on now and feel positive that I can be treated for the proper condition finally after all these years!

rajdeepi
10-25-14, 04:37 PM
Hi,
I have been misdiagnosed and honestly it is such a relief when you are given a correct diagnosis. I would recommend that you be very open and honest about what you feel and how you are struggling with your Doctor...even a general family doctor can write you the stimulant medication as long as you are honest and your doctor genuinely cares about his/her patients. Finding a good doctor is so important. I would suggest that you contact the local mental health authority in your town and they will direct you to the correct resources.

michaelaisabell
11-16-14, 11:32 AM
Hi,
I have been misdiagnosed and honestly it is such a relief when you are given a correct diagnosis. I would recommend that you be very open and honest about what you feel and how you are struggling with your Doctor...even a general family doctor can write you the stimulant medication as long as you are honest and your doctor genuinely cares about his/her patients. Finding a good doctor is so important. I would suggest that you contact the local mental health authority in your town and they will direct you to the correct resources.

Thanks. I had to change my Pcp cuz my old one didn't Beleive in adult adhd.
I went to see a new Pcp and he said "a little adhd can persist into adulthood and often low doses of stimulants help" but at least he didn't act like it doesn't exist at all.

He prescribed me 10mg of adderall ir once a day. I have a feeling that's not going to be enough since it'll wear off 4-6 hours after I take it.
I am going to start it tomorrow.
I have an apt with a pdr on Friday too so I can talk about an adjustment then if needed.