View Full Version : Vitamin B12 Deficiency - Non-Vile Sublingual or Liquid Supplements?

namazu
10-23-14, 09:16 PM
So apparently my last round of bloodwork showed I had a Vitamin B12 deficiency -- which is weird, since I don't have any of the usual risk factors for it, as far as I know.

In any case, my pdoc recommended either taking a 1000mcg sublingual tablet or a liquid B12 supplement daily starting now. (May discuss shots with GP in a week or so.)

Does anyone have experience with either sublingual B12 supplements or liquid, and can you recommend any that don't taste disgusting?

(My general preference is for things that don't taste terribly fake-fruity or bubble-gummy. Vanilla, chocolate, chamomile...those I like. But there are only so many options, and I gather that B12 itself isn't so great-tasting.)

Thanks!

Unmanagable
10-23-14, 11:20 PM
I started using Bio-alternatives brand liquid, but now use the Solgar brand nuggets. The latter being less expensive. Both are fruity, but not sickening sweet or synthetic-like.

BellaVita
10-23-14, 11:27 PM
Can you just get B12 shots? I have Crohn's so maybe that's why the sublinguals don't really work for me, but in my experience the shot is just way better because it's a once a month (or whatever your doc decides) thing and you see the results of it almost instantly.

namazu
10-24-14, 12:46 AM
Bellavita, I may end up going with shots, but until I can get in to see my GP to discuss it, my pdoc wants me to start with the sublingual or liquid stuff. I guess the oral administration is also probably cheaper and doesn't require doctor's visits, so there's that. I haven't actually seen the lab test results yet, so I'm not sure how deficient I am, just that (when the info was relayed from the lab via the pdoc via my psychologist) I was told that the B12 was "very low". Whatever that means.

Supposedly sublingual should work even with Crohn's (because it's absorbed in the mouth rather than in the intestines, assuming you don't have mouth lesions),* but shots definitely should work because they don't require your digestive epithelium to absorb anything whatsoever. :) My sis also has Crohn's (I don't, which is why this deficiency is a mystery to me), but I don't know if she's ever been B12-deficient. I should probably ask her...

Unmanageable, thanks for the tip. I can handle a little lemon. It's just things that are the flavor of "purple" or "pine-sol" or "rainbow zebra" or "rancid fruit punch" that I find revolting. ;) Are the "nuggets" meant for chewing or dissolving under the tongue? [EDIT: interwebz to the rescue...yes, sublingual]

*"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is." ;)

Unmanagable
10-25-14, 09:59 PM
The nuggets are dissolved under the tongue.

BellaVita
10-25-14, 10:07 PM
Bellavita, I may end up going with shots, but until I can get in to see my GP to discuss it, my pdoc wants me to start with the sublingual or liquid stuff. I guess the oral administration is also probably cheaper and doesn't require doctor's visits, so there's that. I haven't actually seen the lab test results yet, so I'm not sure how deficient I am, just that (when the info was relayed from the lab via the pdoc via my psychologist) I was told that the B12 was "very low". Whatever that means.

Supposedly sublingual should work even with Crohn's (because it's absorbed in the mouth rather than in the intestines, assuming you don't have mouth lesions),* but shots definitely should work because they don't require your digestive epithelium to absorb anything whatsoever. :) My sis also has Crohn's (I don't, which is why this deficiency is a mystery to me), but I don't know if she's ever been B12-deficient. I should probably ask her...

It doesn't work for me for some reason, I've tried even taking double the amount and I was still having deficiency symptoms. The shot is the only thing that's worked for me.

Also one time they did a blood test and said my folic acid was low, isn't that needed to absorb B12? Or something?

Hmmm...

But yeah I'd go for the shot if/when you can. It doesn't hurt (I actually think it feels good lol) and if you have (the right) insurance that should cover the cost.

It's also just a once a month thing which is easier for some than having to remember to take it every day!

PS - I know this is a bit off-topic but I've read that those with the ileitis type of Crohn's are more prone to B12 deficiencies. Which is the kind I have.

namazu
10-25-14, 10:08 PM
Couldn't find any at the local pharmacy that weren't fake-cherry-flavored, so ordered some online.

Thanks again for the feedback, Unmanageable and BellaVita!

namazu
10-25-14, 10:12 PM
It doesn't work for me for some reason, I've tried even taking double the amount and I was still having deficiency symptoms. The shot is the only thing that's worked for me.

Also one time they did a blood test and said my folic acid was low, isn't that needed to absorb B12? Or something?

Hmmm...

But yeah I'd go for the shot if/when you can. It doesn't hurt (I actually think it feels good lol) and if you have (the right) insurance that should cover the cost.

It's also just a once a month thing which is easier for some than having to remember to take it every day!

Yeah -- see comment about theory and practice -- and also I could be flat-out wrong! :o It sounds like there's a complicated relationship between B12 and folic acid -- it seems to be common to be deficient in both, but I also read that sometimes folic acid supplementation can "disguise" B12 deficiency, preventing some symptoms but not nerve damage. or something.

In any case, if it didn't work for you, it didn't work for you. I'm glad the shots do, and that they don't hurt.

The not having to remember it daily thing would be nice, but since I already have to take meds 3-4 times/day, and every month when I fill my prescriptions I put them into 4 weekly pill organizers, I think it will be OK.

In any case, if I'm really as deficient as they made it sound the other day, then my GP may recommend the shots anyway. Will find out in a week.

How did you find out your were B12 deficient? Do the shots (or in your case, Unmanageable, nuggets) make a noticeable difference in your overall well-being or specific symptoms? I've read that if you start supplementing (in whatever way your body can actually absorb the stuff) that you tend to start feeling better in a few days...did you find that to be the case?

(P.S. Bella -- not sure what kind of Crohn's my sister has -- but she's had sores / lesions pretty much everywhere, including her mouth at one point early on before things had been tamed.)

BellaVita
10-25-14, 10:26 PM
Yeah -- see comment about theory and practice -- and also I could be flat-out wrong! :o It sounds like there's a complicated relationship between B12 and folic acid -- it seems to be common to be deficient in both, but I also read that sometimes folic acid supplementation can "disguise" B12 deficiency, preventing some symptoms but not nerve damage. or something.

In any case, if it didn't work for you, it didn't work for you. I'm glad the shots do, and that they don't hurt.

The not having to remember it daily thing would be nice, but since I already have to take meds 3-4 times/day, and every month when I fill my prescriptions I put them into 4 weekly pill organizers, I think it will be OK.

In any case, if I'm really as deficient as they made it sound the other day, then my GP may recommend the shots anyway. Will find out in a week.

How did you find out your were B12 deficient? Do the shots (or in your case, Unmanageable, nuggets) make a noticeable difference in your overall well-being or specific symptoms? I've read that if you start supplementing (in whatever way your body can actually absorb the stuff) that you tend to start feeling better in a few days...did you find that to be the case?

(P.S. Bella -- not sure what kind of Crohn's my sister has -- but she's had sores / lesions pretty much everywhere, including her mouth at one point early on before things had been tamed.)

I found out through my symptoms I think, although I started getting shots way back when I was really young because my mom is a PA. (not sure if blood tests ever showed deficiency?)

My main symptoms were: really bad Angular Cheilitis, brain fog, depression, anxiety, low energy.

When I got the shots, I noticed the Angular Cheilitis went away (and when it comes back I know I'm in need of a shot), my energy levels increased (felt a greater sense of well-being), much of my anxiety and depression vanished, brain fog lifted, also this is another weird thing that happens but I can suddenly see clearer and see the details on things.

It's seriously like a miracle vitamin for me lol.

I'm much more smiley and focused when I have my B12 shots!

Oh, it may take a couple shots before you start seeing noticeable results if you're really deficient. I don't know anything about the sublinguals since they never provided any symptom relief.

Thanks for the folic acid info! :)

Unmanagable
10-25-14, 10:39 PM
I had also introduced Vit D, Magnesium, and Curcumin into my regimen when I started the B12, so I can't say if improvements I felt were a direct result of B12, but I definitely experience more energy and clarity when I take them as I should. Getting that pill box organization thing in order is on the top of my list of things to do. ;)