View Full Version : OCD and Memory

BellaVita
10-26-14, 01:37 AM
Okay, I always assumed this was OCD but now I'm really questioning it and wanting to dig deeper....

I know that me and other fellow OCD'ers here have good memory for detail.

Like for me, I am very good at remembering almost every conversation I've had with someone. (Notice I said almost ;))

I know this isn't normal because I notice my friends in the past have not been able to do this although they can remember conversations but not to the same degree

Another example is I easily memorize each person's writing style and could tell which member is who if they had switched usernames but kept writing style. It's just a thing that happens automatically in my brain.

I also remember almost every post I've read on here

It's like these things stick in my brain and never leave, without me trying to memorize or anything.

Also when I was on Lexapro to treat my OCD my ability to do these things diminished. (My memory/recall wasn't as sharp and clear...some things were fuzzy or "blurry")

Those are just a few examples.....

Just wondering if this is OCD related?

Greyhound1
10-26-14, 02:24 AM
Okay, I always assumed this was OCD but now I'm really questioning it and wanting to dig deeper....

I know that me and other fellow OCD'ers here have good memory for detail.

Like for me, I am very good at remembering almost every conversation I've had with someone. (Notice I said almost ;))

I know this isn't normal because I notice my friends in the past have not been able to do this although they can remember conversations but not to the same degree

Another example is I easily memorize each person's writing style and could tell which member is who if they had switched usernames but kept writing style. It's just a thing that happens automatically in my brain.

I also remember almost every post I've read on here

It's like these things stick in my brain and never leave, without me trying to memorize or anything.

Also when I was on Lexapro to treat my OCD my ability to do these things diminished. (My memory/recall wasn't as sharp and clear...some things were fuzzy or "blurry")

Those are just a few examples.....

Just wondering if this is OCD related?

Bella,
It's uncanny how many times you post random symptoms or issues and we have them in common. I am exactly the same way.:) I remember conversations usually much more accurately and longer then most. I pickup on writing style and certain key or unusual words they use. When another member uses those words or similar style, it's like an alarm bell going off.

I personally think its a combination of ADHD and OCD. When a conversation is stimulating enough my ADHD locks on and hyperfocus begins. Hyperfocus leads to OCD loop and is then burned into the memory banks. The more stimulating something is =more OCD= longer lasting more detailed memories.

Hathor
10-26-14, 03:13 AM
I have the same very good verbal memory, both for conversations and reading.

But cram my head full on incoherent 'facts' for some test? Hard to remember what is too boring to read!

btw I score quite high on ASD tests, but socially am hyper-vigilant rather than oblivious. Same result, though - I wanted to amputate my 3rd leg to stop if from bugging me, but then I was reminded I could no longer urinate outside so easily if I did that.

Sorry I guess it is a 5th leg when I am on my donkey, and why on earth can I not use a perfectly valid name for a donkey even with $ instead of s?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/*** < LOL!

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/39/39993859cab42fc001f56ee70d6cc1a891a3859e7237274633 e50f8a9811d9cc.jpg

Little Missy
10-26-14, 04:45 AM
Same here with extreme minutae thrown in. Oh, I could go on and on with this.

Corina86
10-27-14, 04:50 AM
It sounds more like a hyperfocus thing. If it doesn't bother you and you're not having anxiety about it, I doubt it's OCD.

Fuzzy12
10-27-14, 07:58 AM
I think unless you are trying particularly hard to make sure that you remember something or you want to avoid at any cost forgetting something, it doesn't really sound like OCD to me (though you could be doing these things subconsciously).

It sounds like quite a skill or a talent to me by the way. Super cool!!! :)

Hathor
10-27-14, 11:14 PM
I wonder if my walking is related to OCD.

Sometimes I get a bit short on patience because it seems I am the only person in Vancouver who walks at a brisk pace in a straight line and watches where they are going.

Most people are slow, diagonal or zig zag direction, and have no idea what is going on in front of them let alone around them.

WAF!

Ah, then I start raging because until I was 42 and found out I have ADHD-I I believed it when they said I was lazy. So how am I lazy but the only one who can walk in a way not symptomatic of a trance?

Stevuke79
10-27-14, 11:47 PM
I have a sick memory - and I'm pretty sure it's my OCD. (But I think I got that idea from you, lol.. I'm sold on it though!)

Stevuke79
10-27-14, 11:49 PM
I can also remember crazy things really quickly. Like those crazy long passwords underneath the verizon routers.. I have mine memorized,.. And I did it in about 20 seconds. Or someone can tell me a number, or their social, and as long as I'm "ready for it" I'll remember it forever. Or those confirmation numbers,.. I don't write them down and I remember them just fine.

But it's like a "trick". I have to listen a certain way. I can't really explain it.

BellaVita
10-28-14, 12:02 AM
I have a sick memory - and I'm pretty sure it's my OCD. (But I think I got that idea from you, lol.. I'm sold on it though!)

Yeaaaaaaah! :D OCD FTW!!!!

Lolz

BellaVita
10-28-14, 12:08 AM
I can also remember crazy things really quickly. Like those crazy long passwords underneath the verizon routers.. I have mine memorized,.. And I did it in about 20 seconds. Or someone can tell me a number, or their social, and as long as I'm "ready for it" I'll remember it forever. Or those confirmation numbers,.. I don't write them down and I remember them just fine.

But it's like a "trick". I have to listen a certain way. I can't really explain it.

Hey! I think you got it down! Being "ready for it" applies to me when I'm reading and I remember everything I read.....cuz I chose to be ready for it.

I also have to listen/focus in a certain way(like you mentioned) but I'm so used to doing it that it always happens automatically now and you're right I cannot explain it

And lol @eeyore sorry for your sidewalk troubles,
and actually to me that *does* sound indeed like OCD (needing things to be in proper alignment and proper places/perfect speed)

Hathor
10-28-14, 01:43 AM
Thanks BellaVita.

I forgot to say earlier that I tend to remember things when they are uselful, and scoring high on some stupid test is not useful, even though flunking out landed me broke and homeless with moral condemnations from all sides.

Well do you know what I mean? I make connections.

As for SKOOL, as much as I like this forum I always end up back in dem dar SKOOL no matter what the thread is here. I may have to take a sabbatical from here. :(

Tinatheawesome
11-03-14, 04:12 AM
Me too