View Full Version : Omg ADHD is taking over my family!!!!

michaelaisabell
10-26-14, 12:41 PM
My sister was diagnosed with adhd in like 3rd grade. My brother in law also had it. I've been recently diagnosed, I'm getting my 7 year old tested soon, and my three yr old seems like she's going to end up with it too and BAD. Now my sister is getting my nephew tested too cuz he has already been held back and his most recent report card said he talks a lot in class, he's restless, and gets easily distracted, if he paid more attention to the task at hand... Blah blah blah
ADHD is trying to take over my family! It's everywhere.
My mom shows many symptoms and do do two of my brothers and one of my other sisters.
Does anyone else have so much adhd in their family both diagnosed and undiagnosed?
:thankyou:

Dizfriz
10-26-14, 12:57 PM
That is not all that common but it happens enough so one cannot say it is uncommon. It does make for an interesting family.:)

Dizfriz

Flory
10-26-14, 01:17 PM
It's rife in my dads side of the family and my brother Dad and I have it

michaelaisabell
10-26-14, 01:22 PM
Well I guess I should say my 7 yr old and nephew and being evaluated not tested since there is not an actual diagnostic "test" for ADHD.

michaelaisabell
10-26-14, 01:28 PM
My 3.5 year old shows like every symptom but she is also 3 so I'm not willing to think about trying to have her diagnosed yet.
What is the typical age for childhood diagnosis of adhd?
I'm hoping as she grows she will calm down some. Right now she's out of control. My friend said she's like a mouse on crack. She never stops. Which is fine with me that she very active but she doesn't listen to me or anyone else at all. She hashirtinle tantrums, runs away in stores and outside. Won't go to bed.
It's all normal behavior for a three year old but taken to the extreme.

Dizfriz
10-27-14, 09:11 AM
Right now, the minimum age recommended is four. I usually like to see the child a little older unless the behaviors are extreme.

Dizfriz

jlynn30
10-27-14, 10:02 AM
My 3.5 year old shows like every symptom but she is also 3 so I'm not willing to think about trying to have her diagnosed yet.
What is the typical age for childhood diagnosis of adhd?
I'm hoping as she grows she will calm down some. Right now she's out of control. My friend said she's like a mouse on crack. She never stops. Which is fine with me that she very active but she doesn't listen to me or anyone else at all. She hashirtinle tantrums, runs away in stores and outside. Won't go to bed.
It's all normal behavior for a three year old but taken to the extreme.

We got diagnosed right after my son turned four. His behaviour was servely affecting our family life and my son's everyday life. He was out of control. We are in therapy and on non stimlant meds right now and it is much better than it was a year ago. He will be 5 in January. Good luck.

Edited to add:

My brother has ADHD and my nephew on my DH's side has ADHD. It is not unheard of for mutiple family members to have it

michaelaisabell
10-28-14, 01:16 AM
Thanks guys. She is still young so in really hoping she starts to grow out of some of these behavioral issues. Right now she is reeking Havoc on my household. Today she was running around the kitchen and dinning room in circles, my older dd was on the PC doing homework and she just ran up to her and knocked her upside the head with a plastic microphone.
Then later we tried to go to the store. She refused to hold my hand in the parking lot and was trying to run away. So I picked her up to take her back to the car and I had to force her into her car seat while she kicked and screamed at the too of her lungs.
I can only imagine what the ppl walking through the parking lot were thinking.
It makes me feel like a bad parent, like everyone is staring at me thinking omg that woman can't control her kid.

michaelaisabell
10-28-14, 01:46 AM
That is not all that common but it happens enough so one cannot say it is uncommon. It does make for an interesting family.:)

Dizfriz

Lol yes it does make for a very interesting family. Especially because most of us are not medicated or undiagnosed lol.
None of us can remember anything and if a party starts at noon that really means 3pm lol

sarahsweets
10-28-14, 03:44 AM
My husband and I are adhd and all three of my kids are as well so its a three ring circus here.

Tmoney
10-28-14, 07:21 AM
My dad, Me, my oldest sister, my oldest son.

We are on a mission to take our planet back from the other humans!

Lunacie
10-28-14, 10:06 AM
My daughter and I are both divorced, we live together and I'm helping raise my grandkids.

Daughter and I both have ADHD - mine severe, hers milder.
Oldest granddaughter has severe ADHD.
Youngest granddaughter has Atypical Autism.

My sister has diagnosed OCD and undiagnosed (but very apparent) ADHD.
My brother has undiagnosed (but apparent) ADHD.
My nephew has undiagnosed (but apparent) ADHD.

My brother thinks ADHD and Autism are bogus so he and his son will never get any help. :(

I've got boucoup first-cousins, second- and third-cousins with ADHD or Autism.
Easy to see the genetic basis for these disorders.

Research has shown that this genetic basis is stronger than the ones for height or baldness!

michaelaisabell
10-28-14, 10:17 AM
My daughter and I are both divorced, we live together and I'm helping raise my grandkids.

Daughter and I both have ADHD - mine severe, hers milder.
Oldest granddaughter has severe ADHD.
Youngest granddaughter has Atypical Autism.

My sister has diagnosed OCD and undiagnosed (but very apparent) ADHD.
My brother has undiagnosed (but apparent) ADHD.
My nephew has undiagnosed (but apparent) ADHD.

My brother thinks ADHD and Autism are bogus so he and his son will never get any help. :(

I've got boucoup first-cousins, second- and third-cousins with ADHD or Autism.
Easy to see the genetic basis for these disorders.

Research has shown that this genetic basis is stronger than the ones for height or baldness!

My brother will never get help for himself either but I think if one of his kids ends up having it he might get them help. But so fat his boys arnt showing symptoms.

jlynn30
10-28-14, 10:22 AM
Thanks guys. She is still young so in really hoping she starts to grow out of some of these behavioral issues. Right now she is reeking Havoc on my household. Today she was running around the kitchen and dinning room in circles, my older dd was on the PC doing homework and she just ran up to her and knocked her upside the head with a plastic microphone.
Then later we tried to go to the store. She refused to hold my hand in the parking lot and was trying to run away. So I picked her up to take her back to the car and I had to force her into her car seat while she kicked and screamed at the too of her lungs.
I can only imagine what the ppl walking through the parking lot were thinking.
It makes me feel like a bad parent, like everyone is staring at me thinking omg that woman can't control her kid.

Like I said above, my son was just four when he got diagnosed, but we started the whole process when he was still three. We started with behavoir play therapy and she was the one that sent us on to get tested.

I just wanted to give you an example of my son and what we realized he was actually doing when he was acting out by hitting and such.

Let's say that DS is playing at daycare and he is sitting at his table coloring. He sees a friend across the room playing with a toy and it's a toy he likes and wants to play with. He gets up from his table, walks to the friend playing with the toy and smacks him and walks away. Now, just look at the one incident and it looks like he hit the friend for no reason. But, start looking at the incident together and you see a pattern. DS couldn't walk up to the friend and take the toy or ask for the toy because he didn't know how (that's the best way I can figure to put it). And in his mind he has solved the problem because to him hitting the friend should let the friend know he (DS) wanted to play with it.

Does that make sense?? Once we realized what was actually happening we could go about it a different way. Instead of just punishing or even redirecting; we do those and then have a conversation about what we should do in that situation. It really made me look at him totally different. Thank goodness for his daycare because they are really the ones that pointed it out to us.

michaelaisabell
10-28-14, 11:31 PM
Totally makes sense.

michaelaisabell
10-29-14, 12:28 AM
I try to talk to her and explain why she cannot do these things, it hurts people, it's dangerous, etc. But it doesn't seem to penitrate.
We have a token system in place where when they get 10 tokens they get a prize. It works great for my 7 yr old but not so much for my 3 yr old.
This Morning I left to take my older daughter to school and even tge bus came for my younger daughter she didn't want to get on and was kicking and screaming. She thee a huge fit and kicked and hit the bus driver and so the driver said he could not take her to school with her throwing a fit like that since she was kicking and refusing to sit down in her seat. I ended up driving her and taking her in late.
I have an appt. with the pediatrician in the morning to talk about her behavioral issues and I called out insurance for a referral to a child psycholgist. They are suppose to call me back tomorrow.
This is just out of control.

BellaVita
10-29-14, 12:47 AM
My Mom my Dad and I all have it (dad isn't diagnosed but it's VERY obvious)

michaelaisabell
10-29-14, 01:37 AM
My dad, Me, my oldest sister, my oldest son.

We are on a mission to take our planet back from the other humans!

Lol that is too funny!

michaelaisabell
10-30-14, 03:45 PM
My husband and I are adhd and all three of my kids are as well so its a three ring circus here.

"I carried a watermelon?" Dirty dancing???? Lol

Jenn1202
11-05-14, 03:17 AM
My mom, my dad (undiagnosed), my sister and I have ADHD.