View Full Version : "Scattered Minds" or "Scattered" by Dr Gabor Mate

HabitualCreatur
10-27-14, 06:12 AM
I noticed that one of the members "ADHD heros" was Dr Russell Barkley. I immediately understood what he meant.

Few people really "hit the mark" for me, when it comes to understanding the why, how, when, who and what now with ADHD, but for me personally, it was "this guy" (no disrespect intended)....

As a newly diagnosed ADHD adult, my thirst for knowledge was insatiable... i read and skimmed i don't know how many books, articles, and the like, until i came across Dr Gabor's YouTube vids, on various topics, incl. ADHD. I have to tell you, my need to share this remarkable man's insight/knowledge with friends and family knew no bounds. Absolutely astounding.

His book (also available in audio) "Scattered Minds", or "Scattered" is - I can't speak highly enough of. I'm no academic, but as for hitting home, and answering all the above questions... .he does for me, and then some. I had to stop throughout as I was astounded and crying.

Truly well worth acquiring this book. You can get it directly via his website or more than likely on Amazon.

Do yourselves a favour, if you are still wanting answers, whether as a loved one, or an ADHDer... add this to your collection (and check out his YouTube vids whilst you're at it).

Best

HC

20thcenturyfox
11-08-16, 11:59 PM
I, too, cried while reading this book. The humility and humanity of Dr. Mate, combined with his ability to observe people and remain dedicated to the evolving science of ADHD is an inspiration.

ginniebean
11-09-16, 02:56 AM
i believe almost his entire book has been quoted here.

dvdnvwls
11-09-16, 01:20 PM
He does really tug at the heartstrings, as they say, but he does so by presenting many of his own unsubstantiated assumptions as if they were facts.

When unpleasant people do that, they are quickly shouted down or ridiculed. Some people let Maté off the hook much too easily just because he sounds like a nice guy.

Pilgrim
11-10-16, 12:35 AM
Certain ideas he has are questionable, I will say that it does come from a good place. And I think he has his own agenda.

What bothers me is how practical is he?

dvdnvwls
11-10-16, 03:07 AM

Very practical - and very misguided.

The one and only "good place" that ideas can ever come from is the place of those ideas being right. His ideas don't come from a good place.

If you meant "His heart is in the right place, but at the same time he's not telling the truth" then I'm with you.

mildadhd
11-11-16, 12:57 AM
Hi.

What are some quotes/pages/chapters from the book "Scattered" by Gabor Mate are everyone referring to?

(In my opinion)

I have learned many important scientific developmental facts from Dr. Mate that many other researchers seem to have ignored since at least when "Scattered" was first published in 1999 (and many researchers still ignore in 2016).

Example, the genetics involved in our self-regulation develops in interaction with the environment.

Dr. Mate leans more toward exploring decisive environmental factors involved, without denying any known genetic factors involved.

I have been reading/referencing "Scattered" for over ten years, and continue to learn more every time I do.

I recommend considering all Dr. Mates' work, and all the scientific research/researches cited in his works'.

mildadhd/Peripheral

G

Lunacie
11-11-16, 10:24 AM
Certain ideas he has are questionable, I will say that it does come from a good place. And I think he has his own agenda.

He does seem to leave his readers with more questions than answers.

I've never been a fan of philosophy or deep thinking. For me, it's a pointless exercise.

I prefer questions that can be or have been answered.

adding: whether I agree with the conclusion or not, I do think about why I agree or disagree.

I guess when there is no conclusion (answer), I have no focus for my thinking.

mildadhd
11-12-16, 04:14 AM
[Chapter] 5

Forgetting to Remember the Future

ADD is not a problem of knowing what to do; it is a problem of doing what you know.

-RUSSELL A. BARKLEY, PH.D., "Improved Delay Responding"

IT IS NOT THAT I WISH to be late.

I do not imagine for a moment that I will be late.

I may have to be somewhere, miles away, at 9:00 a.m., but as long as it is not yet nine, I fully believe I have time enough.

I am scheduled to attend ward rounds with nurses and other physicians at Vancouver Hospital.

At 8:50 I leap into the shower, still confident: there is space between the big hand of the watch and the hour marker, so I am not late.

That the traveling always takes longer than I expect, that ice will have to be scraped off the car, that I will not find the keys, that I may get stuck in traffic do not arise in the mind as concrete possibilities.

Two thought systems vie for control in the brain: the one logical and aware, the other the immature time sense of a young child.

The latter is most often dominant.

It's only when nine o'clock strikes and I am searching for my car keys that irritability begins to set in.

When I get outside and realize that frost has made the windshield completely opaque, I begin to curse.

By the time I have to rush back up the stairs once, then twice, to find briefcase or lunch or stethoscope, I fell utterly frustrated.

I arrive on the ward fifteen minutes late--on a good day--removing my coat and hat and pulling my rubber galoshes off each foot in turn while hopping hurriedly down the hall on the other.

Taking a deep breath outside the door, I steady myself.

I enter the meeting room.

Rounds are already in progress.

"Okay, we can begin," I say.

I notice that not everyone laughs.

Every adult with ADD can relate such anecdotes--funny to tell, not so funny to experience and never so jolly for others inconvenienced by the tardiness and disorganization.

The ADD mind is afflicted by a sort of time illiteracy, or what Dr. Russell Barkley has called "time blindness."

One is either hopelessly short of time, dashing about like a deaf bat, or else acts as if blessed with the gift of eternity.

It's as if one's time sense never developed past a stage other people leave behind in early childhood..

-Gabor Mate M.D., "Scattered", 1999. Chapter: "Forgetting To Remember The Future", p 35-36.

i!i