View Full Version : does anyone have vivid nightmares due to antidepressants?

picard
10-28-14, 05:44 AM
does anyone have vivid nightmares due to antidepressants?

I have frequent strong nightmares which wake me up regularly.
my nightmares often involve my fears, phobias during the day. I worry about losing my job.

sushigirl
10-28-14, 05:55 AM
My husband has them. He says that they seems so real! I think it depends of the AD you take. Which one do you take?

Little Missy
10-28-14, 06:08 AM
Oh yes. Mine were like made for tv mini series. But that was eons ago.

Benadryl gives me horrifying nightmares and so does Atarax. Hate the stuff, can not take it.

SirSchmidt
10-28-14, 09:24 AM
I've been having some pretty bad dreams recently but I'm not taking anti-depressants (stopped Lexapro many months ago).

It seems the deeper I sleep the less likely I'll have nightmares. If I sleep lightly and wake numerous times throughout the night I'll have very vivid, cinematic nightmares.

BOCK102
10-28-14, 09:49 AM
Have done in the past, but only when starting them. These side effects always went away after a number of weeks/months. How long have you been taking them and what are they?

Fuzzy12
10-28-14, 11:09 AM
If I remember right, it's listed as one of the possible side effects of some anti depressants. Also, some anti depressants can cause interrupted sleep and when I don't sleep well, my nightmares are always worse.

Maybe you could try taking your anti depressants in the morning if you are taking them in the evening or do other things to improve your sleep.

Cyanide
10-28-14, 11:19 AM
I know it's not exactly a "typical" antidepressant but when I was on Strattera my dreams sometimes took a pretty sinister tone. Not exactly traumatic or anything (I'm pretty desensitized to gruesome imagery, love horror etc) but I definitely had some vivid and unpleasant dreams where the situations were just out to get me.

picard
10-29-14, 10:14 PM
My husband has them. He says that they seems so real! I think it depends of the AD you take. Which one do you take?

I am taking citalopham as AD

SB1985
02-18-15, 11:33 AM
I'm taking Pristiq and I have really vivid dreams (often nightmares) almost every night. It's awful

Kaboomer
02-18-15, 12:25 PM
Prozac and Wellbutrin did not cause vivid dreams for me. Cymbalta and Effexor caused extremely vivid and often frightening dreams.

Rebelyell
02-18-15, 01:03 PM
Sometimes or very weird, erotic, exotic or very disturbing realistic dreams where I find out people in my life that I thought were good are bad and scheming.i wake up and am like wow deep down I already knew these few folks were shady n hinky

stef
02-18-15, 01:07 PM
I'm not sure which antidepressant my Mom took, but I remember her often describing strange, vivid dreams. I had never thought it might be a side effect.