View Full Version : Is my morning dose to high?

DmxDex
10-30-14, 09:37 AM
I use to take dexedrine last year and at the begining of this year for my adhd. but it seemed to cause me problems eventually. i was under alot of stress at the time. So i decided to give it another go.

Starting on 10mgs i use to feel the effects, eventually going up to 25mgs per day.

Problem is anything under a 20mg starting dose knocks me out, and the crash is rapid.

20 mgs is a dose i can start on without feeling that.

My full daily dose is 30 mgs

20mgs in the morning and 5mgs every 2.5 hours

Does anyone else start the dose at 20mgs?

Fuzzy12
10-30-14, 09:46 AM
I take 10, and then 30-45 minutes later another 5mg (and then another 5 two hours later and sometimes another 5 two hours later, with a maximum of 25mg a day).

Just 10mg doesn't seem to do much but I feel a bit unpleasant if I take 15 in one go so I space them apart by at least 30mins. This way of dosing seems to work quite well for me. It's different for everyone though.

What do you mean "anything under a 20mg starting dose knocks me out"?

I've noticed that (for me at least) that the crash is much, much better if I reduce the intervals between doses. if I wait for more than 3-4h to take my next dose I get no discernible benefit but only the side effects that come with crashing. I think, this is also something that gets better with time. I hardly crash now at all, not even after my last dose.

DmxDex
10-30-14, 09:58 AM
If i take 10mgs ill crash within an hour and a half will will feel extremely tired. i tried 15mgs to start but i felt down about 2 hours later.

Today i started on 20mgs and i wasnt to bad.

Flory
10-30-14, 09:59 AM
Yeah 20 mg in the morning is my loading dose, then 15mg around mid day, then 5mg around 3pm and another 5 at around 5/6pm

Flory
10-30-14, 10:01 AM
We're all on the same brand too as it's the only one we can get in England lol ,

DmxDex
10-30-14, 10:11 AM
Wish we could try other brands. Im thinking about trying elvanse, i need a full days coverage. crashing in the afternoon doesnt help me whatsoever.

Fuzzy12
10-30-14, 10:11 AM
So what makes you think that your morning dose is too high if it works for you (and I suppose that's the dose recommended by your psychiatrist).

If i take 10mgs ill crash within an hour and a half will will feel extremely tired. i tried 15mgs to start but i felt down about 2 hours later.

Today i started on 20mgs and i wasnt to bad.

You could try dosing like me, i.e. 10mg and then 5mg 30-45min later. But if 20mg works fine for you, why not stick with it?

Flory
10-30-14, 10:14 AM
I've been pressured a lot to try vyvanse but it's not happening lol !

DmxDex
10-30-14, 10:28 AM
So what makes you think that your morning dose is too high if it works for you (and I suppose that's the dose recommended by your psychiatrist).

You could try dosing like me, i.e. 10mg and then 5mg 30-45min later. But if 20mg works fine for you, why not stick with it?

I think very deep about things.

Dexie Queen
11-23-14, 06:34 PM
My morning dose is 30mg to counteract Serlquel related drowsiness (I take Seroquel for unrelated insomnia). I take 15mg later in the day and it seems to work well for me.

dag nab it
11-24-14, 01:18 AM
=anything under a 20mg starting dose knocks me out, and the crash is rapid.

Although I take Dex to help me stay awake, I have had that "crash" happen a few times shortly after taking the mid-day dose - when I changed brands or formula (i.e., spansule instead of IR). I could not figure out for sure the reason - whether the medication was hitting at the wrong time, the dose was wrong, etc. It's interesting that you attribute the knockout effect to too low a dose.

I've noticed that Dex seems to be an entirely different medication at different doses, but have not been able to pinpoint the optimal levels, other than knowing I need a higher dose when I must sit down and tend to paperwork.

What puzzles me is the "standing, staring" effect. Sometimes, I am working well and then I find myself standing, not doing anything, and just staring. I used to think that it was the medication wearing off, but since then I've wondered perhaps it was building up? It's hard for me to determine, since it does not happen in the mornings when gauging doses would be easier.

andy1027
02-22-15, 08:56 AM

I usually have to alternate my dosing. My loading dose in the morning is 2.5mg then 5mg just before lunch, then 2.5, then 5mg. I find that if I take 5mg twice in a row (i.e. 5mg then 4hrs later another 5mg) I find that I can feel a little down. Its very strange...

Spektur
02-26-15, 05:59 AM
Well, too much is relative to your tolerance. I take 30mg of dexedrine a day and 20mg of adderall a day. They're both extended to last longer theoretically. I take them in 10mg doses spaced over the course of the day. So 5 - 10mg xr's mixed dex and adderall. I don't think that's enough, my doctor does, so yah it's all relative.

babidi
03-07-15, 09:44 AM
My dosage is:

20 mg morning
20 mg noon
20 mg afternoon (3 or 4 pm)

60 mg total per day.