View Full Version : Do you get accommodations?

michaelaisabell
10-30-14, 04:32 PM
I'm going to the disability dept at school next week to talk about accommodations.
I'm seeing a new therapist and she is writing the letter that is required by the school.
She said she will put on there that I have depression and "possible ADHD"
She said she will put on there that I have problems with memory, focus, distraction, etc.
I'm kinda nervous about going to the disability office. Idk why.
I've gone my whole life without any acvomidations but it has not served me well.
I struggled in school from 4th grade up and eventually dropped out in 10th grade.
I just don't see myself making very much further in school without acvomidations.

Maurice
10-30-14, 08:51 PM
No not yet, but when I get enrolled to go back to college I guess I'll have to have them, or demand them. Just to give me a fighting chance lol.

ProsnCons
10-31-14, 08:12 AM
you might like to look at the video i just posted in another thread :
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166769

Also, I never got accommodations for ADHD but did for Dyslexia, It will be very specific to you and the disability service will be on your side.

michaelaisabell
11-01-14, 06:04 PM
you might like to look at the video i just posted in another thread :
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166769

Also, I never got accommodations for ADHD but did for Dyslexia, It will be very specific to you and the disability service will be on your side.

Thank you soo much! I'm not done with the video yet but getting there. This is a great video :) I watched his videos about executive functioning a couple weeks ago but I didn't see this one.

michaelaisabell
11-03-14, 04:20 PM
Ok so I went to my apt with disability services today and I am getting software to read my books to me, time and a half on exams so I can take small breaks, and permission to record lectures.

Lizzie80
11-04-14, 01:31 AM
Ok so I went to my apt with disability services today and I am getting software to read my books to me, time and a half on exams so I can take small breaks, and permission to record lectures.

That's a great couple of things there: the small breaks, and the recording of lectures. I don't know why they wouldn't allow the latter for ALL students...especially the more auditory of learners, who get so much more out of the spoken word than they do a textbook or reading notes.

High five for seeking out proactively the things that will help you succeed in higher education, too. It's a huge deal to actually seek out the assistance, and many of us (me included) lack the courage to ask for this, so I applaud you for doing it. :)