View Full Version : Irritability - ways to calm down?

BellaVita
10-31-14, 01:10 AM
Even with the help of kloni, sometimes it seems I get even *more* irritable because my happy excitability diminishes, and so then I focus more on my inner irritability thus creating inner pain and emotional restlessness, feeling frantic.

Got any ideas to calm this down?

It seems like anything could be a possible trigger for it to worsen, even exercise and kind social interaction. (Because my brain is searching for things to get irritable at.)

I know this is similar to my other thread...and maybe it's my racing thoughts causing me to post a bajillion bipolar threads a day, but seriously wondering ways that have worked for others that suffer from irritability (mine is almost constant) and the anxiousness that comes along with it.

I don't like being so emotional in front of others like this, due to me trying to hold the irritability in, doesn't work well but I just hate how I can be....

Will it ever go away? It's taking the joy out of life.

It's like lately I'm either very excited and thrilled, or irritable/with anxiety beneath and find it difficult to be around others.

*sigh* *upset for feeling this way* ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

BellaVita
10-31-14, 01:36 AM
I feel like I'm having a panic attack :mad: :(

I hate feeling this way.

BellaVita
10-31-14, 01:57 AM
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Little Missy
10-31-14, 07:02 AM
I wish I knew the magic answer because I'm so irritable and anxious I just want to shut down. Closed for the day!

Fuzzy12
10-31-14, 07:04 AM
Bells, I'm really sorry you are feeling this way. Is there anything that you enjoy doing that might take your mind off?

BellaVita
10-31-14, 07:05 AM
I wish I had the ability to shut down. It feels like I have a tiny surge of electricity going all throughout my body and brain, almost like when I took albuterol one time and I got all jittery wired feeling.

My Crohn's is acting up so I have terrible intestinal pain, and I also have an ovarian cyst that is painful and is probably leaking.

And I could just scream.

I've already hit several objects and I took my kloni can't calm down

BellaVita
10-31-14, 07:07 AM
Bells, I'm really sorry you are feeling this way. Is there anything that you enjoy doing that might take your mind off?

Thanks, not sure. I'm gonna go out to the store (ride in the car with Loua while David picks up some pasta that I'm craving) and maybe a change in environment will help a bit.

Although I'm nervous/anxious that my brain is gonna find something to be upset at in the car anyway.

TygerSan
10-31-14, 07:18 AM
(((Hugs)))

I'm sure the physical pain and the psych stuff feed off each other in a viscous cycle. I know that you've been taking benzos for a while now w/o issue, but they defo cause irritability in some.

Downers like opiates and Benedryl definitely can turn my mood sour quickly. I'm not bipolar, but I can get damned irritable and angry due to environmental triggers.

Can you listen to music? Sometimes that takes the edge off for me. It's always a crapshoot what kind, though. Sometimes I need to blast angry punk music for release, and other times that just winds me up and I need to find the polar opposite to chill me out.

BellaVita
11-01-14, 03:53 PM
(((Hugs)))

I'm sure the physical pain and the psych stuff feed off each other in a viscous cycle. I know that you've been taking benzos for a while now w/o issue, but they defo cause irritability in some.

Downers like opiates and Benedryl definitely can turn my mood sour quickly. I'm not bipolar, but I can get damned irritable and angry due to environmental triggers.

Can you listen to music? Sometimes that takes the edge off for me. It's always a crapshoot what kind, though. Sometimes I need to blast angry punk music for release, and other times that just winds me up and I need to find the polar opposite to chill me out.

Yeah, they definitely make each other worse. So glad I have a doctor's appointment coming soon.

I had no clue they can cause irritability! Wow! Thanks for the info.

I don't *think* these are, because the first half of this batch I was completely fine. I think it's a mix of little sleep these recent nights and stressful events. But who knows. The manufacturer is different than my usual so I wonder if that makes any difference....

I did take your advice and listen to music while singing along in the car! Did help me let some emotions out.

I also keep getting this weird "buzz" feeling where it's like electricity is shooting through my body and brain. It was worse a few days ago (constant) and now it's just sometimes. Maybe it's adrenalin?

I notice now that my irritability is less constant and coming more like in waves.

TygerSan
11-01-14, 04:29 PM
Huh. Have you discontinued an SSRI recently? A lot of people report brain zaps and other strange sensations when discontinuing. I wouldn't normally as but the description you gave is so close.

BellaVita
11-01-14, 04:37 PM
Huh. Have you discontinued an SSRI recently? A lot of people report brain zaps and other strange sensations when discontinuing. I wouldn't normally as but the description you gave is so close.

Nope, haven't been on an SSRI in ages.

I've had brain zaps before, this is very different.

It's like how I get sometimes when I take my albuterol and I have nicotine at same time, but haven't had either of those and it's different...

It is strange. The symptom itself of "electricity" going through me causes lots of irritability. :doh:

InvitroCanibal
03-31-15, 12:07 AM
Even with the help of kloni, sometimes it seems I get even *more* irritable because my happy excitability diminishes, and so then I focus more on my inner irritability thus creating inner pain and emotional restlessness, feeling frantic.

Got any ideas to calm this down?

It seems like anything could be a possible trigger for it to worsen, even exercise and kind social interaction. (Because my brain is searching for things to get irritable at.)

I know this is similar to my other thread...and maybe it's my racing thoughts causing me to post a bajillion bipolar threads a day, but seriously wondering ways that have worked for others that suffer from irritability (mine is almost constant) and the anxiousness that comes along with it.

I don't like being so emotional in front of others like this, due to me trying to hold the irritability in, doesn't work well but I just hate how I can be....

Will it ever go away? It's taking the joy out of life.

It's like lately I'm either very excited and thrilled, or irritable/with anxiety beneath and find it difficult to be around others.

*sigh* *upset for feeling this way* ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I realized I feel irritable right now. I can tell you what works as of this moment. It's reducing my stress in a way where I am not shutting off my brain. I listen to music, lift weights if I am really angry, but mostly I try to rebuild that fragile sense of control I have.

I think for me atleast, irritability comes from a sense of a loss of control. I think it's a symptom when subconciously we are noticing our mania is onsetting and we are starting to lose control. Anger is generally the first sign for me.

In that regard, I don't take my meds to calm down my anger, because my anger or anxiety is just a symptom of the problem which is my loss of control in my life and of myself. So whatever I can do no matter how small, to reestablish that sense of self control helps me calm down.