View Full Version : Differnce between generic and ritalin ??

michaelaisabell
10-31-14, 01:10 AM
So I'm going to the psych dr later this month to hopefully be put on meds for ADHD. I want to try methlyphenidate of some sort.
I was reading the success stories in this thread as well as in the generic thread and it's seems that ppl are having much more dude effects from the generic?
Does this seem accurate to you?

Jenn1202
10-31-14, 01:57 AM
Yes. I get more side effects on generic Ritalin than the brand name. Generic medications often contain cheaper ingredients that people are more likely to have a bad reaction to. Also, their strength is less predictable (some days it works and some days it doesn't), so people often need to take higher doses, meaning more side effects.

Some people actually do well on generics. For the first 5 years, I was getting little to no side effects on generic Ritalin. Now I get side effects on all versions of Ritalin (generic and/or brand name), just that I get more side effects on the generic versions.

Joker_Girl
10-31-14, 07:38 PM
I found name brand Ciba Ritalin to work better than generics. Except Sandoz generic. It worked well. I didn't like Mallinckrodt, and I hated Watson. It makes me grind my teeth and feel spazzy, and doesn't last long...and I can "feel" it...like up-down-up-down.

Name brand is smoother and longer lasting.

Some people though say they both work equally well. I suppose it is the different binders in different brands.

michaelaisabell
11-01-14, 12:29 PM
I just realized my phone autocorrected and my post says dude effects instead on side effects!! Lmao

yamaustin
01-07-15, 01:26 PM
I am in these posts to find out if other people find Mallinckrodt generic Ritalin to be "weaker" than others. That is my felling so far to explain how all during December I've been sort of extra dizzy/sleepy.

Never paid attention, until this month. My pharmacist had changed suppliers, and definitely there IS a difference, and so far I have found no comment in these forums. Maybe it's me? :-)

No idea if that has anything similar to Mallinckrodt's issues with the FDA regarding the ER version, as not being quite like Concerta in effect. Google Mallinckrodt lawsuit FDA for details on that one.