View Full Version : Perimenopause and menopause

sushigirl
10-31-14, 09:41 AM
To the woman who are at that stage in life, do you find that your add symptoms are worse because of the hormonal changes?

I'm 43 and i'm in my perimonopausal phase. And I really noticed that my lack of concentration and memory are getting worse and worse. I don't know if it's the hormonal changes in my body.

Unmanagable
10-31-14, 02:29 PM
Yes. Hormonal hell week(s) really throws a whole new set of challenges at me, randomly and aggressively, and it picks up speed as I go along. It's a b****.

Flia
11-01-14, 09:35 AM
Oh yes.
After what I've seen from hundred of women in different ADHD-forums, no ADHD woman escapes the horrors of hormones.

It seems we are a lot more sensitive to hormone changes than other women, good or bad. Personally I had no ADHD traits at all during pregnancy, and utter hell during menopause.

I've also noticed that progesterone (included in some oestrogen pills and birth control pills) is something to avoid if you don't want to become a total wreck.

OhLookABunny
11-04-14, 01:38 AM
I was thinking about starting a menopause thread; thanks to sushigirl I can just hop on this one! ;)

I'm 52, had a total hysterectomy at 46. Opted not to take hormones since there was a cancer risk behind the hysterectomy. My years with periods were no picnic - bad cramps, PMS as in Prime Murder Suspect, and hemorrhaging that by the time I had the surgery I was anemic.

But without hormones, I have experienced the fuzzy "menopause brain" on top of my regular ADD. That searching for a word :scratch: or knowing your brain has "brownouts" now and then . . . it can be scary. I don't want to ever get dementia.

Joker_Girl
11-04-14, 09:37 PM
I'm 43 also, and I'm a hot mess.
I had a hysterectomy at 32-ish, and was on Premarin for about a year til I got tired of messing with it.
I never went through any early menopausal symptoms, other than no periods and no worries about getting pregnant. But sweating and all that mess, didn't happen.
Til I turned about 42-ish.
Now I sweat like a pig, and I'm scatterbrained and getting awfully fat. I suppose it is hormonal.
I went through some kind of hormonal thing in my early 30s where I was horny all the time. Now it's like back off, buddy.
I also have developed about half a dozen little coarse chin and moustache hairs I have to pluck. I wax those puppies. Boy does that hurt.
And my boobs are SUPER sensitive and sore a lot. I suppose that's hormones, too. I was cold the other day, and obviously what happens when you're cold happened, I was sitting at my desk with my hands over my boobs trying to warm them up. They hurt!

Carol
11-18-14, 05:23 PM
I found this article helpful, "Women, Hormones, and ADHD,"
http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/5245.html

The last page addresses menopausal issues:
http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/5245-5.html

Note the recommendation to change the schedule for hormonal supplementation to "estrogen alone, for three to four months, followed by 10 days of progesterone."

It's been hell.