View Full Version : How the Pill affected Ritalin??

paperdoll1990
11-01-14, 07:12 PM
Because of my family history of blood clotting, I'm not able to take estrogen, so I started taking the pill Cerazette (desogestrel) which is a progestin-only birth control pill which inhibitions ovulation. Anyway, after a few weeks, I realised that it was completely working against Ritalin - both in good ways and in bad ways. I suffer frequent urination (sorry to be TMI!) on Ritalin, and that stopped when I was on that pill. However, the trade off was that my concentration span was so bad, it was as if I had never taken Ritalin at all. I also suffered other side effects (spots, increased hunger, mood swings etc.) so I had to stop taking it, but I'm interested in understanding why this happened? Has this happened to anyone else?

I know that hormones effect that way Ritalin works, but I don't really know lots about it. Can anyone explain this to me?

Flia
11-02-14, 05:17 AM
I've seen in various forums that Progesterone is one of the hormones that has the worst effect on female ADHD (and I've seen lots and lots of women talk about it).

Generally we are more sensitive to hormone changes than those without ADHD, but Progesterone seems to be the worst of them all.