View Full Version : Just persscribed Ritalin and I have questions

GCTB74
11-03-14, 03:34 PM
After 39 long years I FINALLY just got diagnosed with MASSIVE adult ADHD. I was in the 99th percentile and my results were off the charts.

My major problems in life that have been plaguing me in relationships and at all the jobs I've had is NOT so much "Lack of focus" but more Depression and major anxiety (which they said is brought on BY my ADHD)

I have panic attacks all the time, I am ALWAYS on edge. ALWAYS filled with worry and anxiety. I have racing obsessive thoughts. I'm always negative/doom and gloom and I have NO motivation or drive to get important things done until the VERY last minute. My biggest problem of all is that I talk WAY too much! People get VERY annoyed at how much I talk and talk and never shut up or stop and listen. I just yap and yap and interrupt. People...even strangers...have BEGGED me to "get on meds" because I can be very annoying and off-putting when I get excited.

So I was prescribed Adderall and it didn't work. Not at ALL. No reaction what-so-ever. Not even a side effect. I joked that I may have well swallowed two Tic-Tacs because absolutely nothing happened.

So today I was prescribed Ritalin. I can't fill it until tomorrow or Wednesday, so I would like any info about what to expect.

What I'm looking for is NOT something to "keep me focused" but something to relieve the depression and anxiety! (I've told my doctor, but he keeps giving me ADHD drugs because he believes the Depression and Anxiety are linked to my ADHD)

So my big question is, DOES Ritalin help Depression and Anxiety? I really just want to stop TALKING so much and fidgeting, and having to get up all the time with nervous energy. I want to feel happy/hopeful/positive. I want my panic attacks to subside and my constant worrying and obsessive thoughts to go away. I want to be able to get important things DONE and not keep putting things off until last minute.

I keep asking for an Anti-depressant but they keep giving me ADHD meds. Does anyone else with ADHD take Ritalin and it helps with Depression/anxiety too? How does it make you feel? Will it improve my quality of life? I'm excited to take it, but nervous since 40mgs of Adderall did absolutely nothing.

Lunacie
11-03-14, 08:13 PM
This is so odd ... most people here say they've been given antidepressants for years
and think it would really help (or really did help) to start taking stimulant meds.

No one can tell how you will react to any med, it's a matter of trial-and-error.
Some do find a medication for ADHD helps with anxiety and depression, but not all.
Some need both an antidepressant and a stimulant - and CBT is a good idea too.

GCTB74
11-04-14, 12:49 AM
I don't know why my Dr. AND therapist refuse to give me Anti-depressants. They are convinced all my "issues" are connected to my ADHD since I scored SO high on my ADHD evaluation.

I'm all worried that when I take this Ritalin and IF it even works, it will just cure my lack of focus but do nothing for my REAL problems. Then I'll have to go back and get MORE meds.

My Dr. once suggested Wellbutin and said that is a "3-in-one" for depression/Anxiety and ADHD...But he just gave me Ritalin instead.

I'm REALLY hoping it will calm me down. I really just want to know what it is like to be calm and subdued.

sarahsweets
11-04-14, 05:25 AM
It sounds like a second opinion is in order to rule out other causes for your issues beyond adhd.

TXJK14
11-04-14, 02:09 PM
I have bouts of depression but I wouldn't say it's because of my ADD or that my Ritalin "cures" it. I have found that my depression is a side effect of not enough sleep and not staying organized. It's like I can't make sense of everything that Im working on and so I shut down or go into a depressed like state.

Im not sure if that helps any, but its taken me a while to figure that out about myself. So I know if I start feeling depressed I need to workout or get more sleep so I can focus and organize the activity in my life.