View Full Version : Dr's suggestion - take valium with dex - normal/ok?

ak2146
11-04-14, 09:41 PM
Hi all,

I was getting very nervous and anxiety prone on the following daily dosage for my diagnosed inattentive ADD condition:

6am - 5mg Dex Sulphate

12pm - 5mg Dex Sulphate

6pm - 5mg Dex Sulphate

Now, my Dr has recommended the following daily dosage:

6am - 5mg Dex Sulphate + 2mg valium

12pm - 5mg Dex Sulphate + 2mg valium

6pm - 5mg Dex Sulphate + 2mg valium

Does this sound normal and/or ok? Wouldn't the valium cancel/level out the dex effects? I'm really confused. I would be most obliged to hear from anyone who has combined valium + Dex Sulfate on a daily basis? Thanks.

Regards,

Ak2146.

sarahsweets
11-04-14, 10:42 PM
Well yes~ that's odd. Rather than lower your dex dose your doctor would rather add in a long a acting benzo?

Hemley
11-04-14, 11:23 PM
Hi there,
I'm in Australia as well and my psych has done a similar thing. I take up to 30mg of dex daily and he recommended 2.5mg of valium 3Xday with the dex. I wake up really anxious, so eye ball approx 2mg valium with morning dose dex and then take 2.5mg valium at night as needed. I think his reasoning was the full on anxiety I was experiencing and no other meds had helped. The dex has helped calm anxiety, but now I'm anxious about getting anxious (if that makes sense). Is your psych planning on keeping you on the valium long term?

BellaVita
11-04-14, 11:32 PM
Wow, strange....

ak2146
11-04-14, 11:51 PM
I know it's strange - that's why I am concerned! I'm not a clinician/doctor, just an educated add patient with a critical mind. My doctor's recommendations don't FEEL right to me. Very confused.:scratch:

ak2146
11-05-14, 01:03 AM
Hemley - Thanks for sharing your experiences. Yes, my Dr. is planning on me being on valium and dex long-term. I don't want that, as I don't want to become addicted to valium! I have enough problems already being inattentive add! Thanks.

Hemley
11-05-14, 01:53 AM
Hemley - Thanks for sharing your experiences. Yes, my Dr. is planning on me being on valium and dex long-term. I don't want that, as I don't want to become addicted to valium! I have enough problems already being inattentive add! Thanks.
In my experience all psych meds are addictive - I've had terrible withdrawals coming off supposedly non addictive meds. I think the reason why dex and benzo are particularly labelled addictive is because people who don't have the conditions they are meant to treat, abuse them for whatever short term effect and everyone has to compensate for that fall out. Have you tried any of the anti depressant drugs that are also meant to help with anxiety? If not you can always bring it up with your Dr. as an alternative-the only thing is they take a while to take effect and if they don't work, you then have all that down time in between before trying another one, then if that one doesn't work..repeat. My guess is the Dr. might be trying to save you from that merry go round-again another question for Dr. In the end if you don't want to take it, you don't have to!

ak2146
11-05-14, 02:15 AM
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I've tried most of the anti-deps over the last 15 years - nothing worked, they just made me worse! I decided last year that I will never use anti-deps again in my life. So, now I'm trying Dex, and, so far, the dex isn't working at all - just makes me jittery and nervous all the time. One day I'll find that magic pill! Thanks again. Appreciate your thoughts.

Winszton
11-05-14, 02:26 AM
I don't really think it's very odd at all. I am not a normally anxious person, but if I take dexedrine then I am very anxious and 'on edge'. Little noises will annoy me, I don't want to be around people at all, and I'm just generally in a state of anxiety.

Recently I asked my doctor about this and she put me on low dose Clonazepam. And it works just wonderfully.

Anyways:
1. Don't combine benzos with it unless you have tried all other options as far as changing your ADHD drug or dose of it.
2. If you are anxious even not on ADHD drugs, treat that with something other than benzos. Try all options.. SSRIS, Lyrica, etc.
3. Do NOT take the benzo daily or even most days of the week. Maybe 3 days a week would be sustainable long run.
4. Do NOT take a large dose. Take the lowest possible. Just take enough to make the anxiety okay so you can go about your day, you don't have to eliminate all of the anxiety.
5. Take breaks! Benzos are super addictive. Maybe every 3 weeks on, take 1 week off so you won't get hooked.

All of this is because A. Benzos are quite bad for you in the first place. B. They are very very addictive unless you take serious precaution.

ak2146
11-05-14, 02:40 AM
Thanks. I appreciate your thoughtful comments.

BellaVita
11-05-14, 03:07 AM
I don't really think it's very odd at all. I am not a normally anxious person, but if I take dexedrine then I am very anxious and 'on edge'. Little noises will annoy me, I don't want to be around people at all, and I'm just generally in a state of anxiety.

Recently I asked my doctor about this and she put me on low dose Clonazepam. And it works just wonderfully.

Anyways:
1. Don't combine benzos with it unless you have tried all other options as far as changing your ADHD drug or dose of it.
2. If you are anxious even not on ADHD drugs, treat that with something other than benzos. Try all options.. SSRIS, Lyrica, etc.
3. Do NOT take the benzo daily or even most days of the week. Maybe 3 days a week would be sustainable long run.
4. Do NOT take a large dose. Take the lowest possible. Just take enough to make the anxiety okay so you can go about your day, you don't have to eliminate all of the anxiety.
5. Take breaks! Benzos are super addictive. Maybe every 3 weeks on, take 1 week off so you won't get hooked.

All of this is because A. Benzos are quite bad for you in the first place. B. They are very very addictive unless you take serious precaution.

For me, benzos make me live a happy productive life.

I've been taking then for years with no problems.

The new young pdocs are taught to tell people that benzos are scary and addictive, but they really aren't.

I'm definitely not addicted to my Clonazepam, and it helps me live a normal functional life.

You do not need to skip days if your doctor instructed you to take it every day, I take my Clonazepam every single day and it's fine.

I've gone off it several times with minimal to no problems.

Pilgrim
11-05-14, 04:52 AM
I had an anxiety issue when on Dex. I think wisely I got an SSRI. I don't really like SSRIs but I must say it helped. The SSRI puts an emotional ceiling on the way I feel ,I don't like it.

I think Dex is a lot Better for ADD although I had less side effects on Ritalin.

ak2146
11-08-14, 11:47 AM
Tried it out for 3 days. Definitely a no-go! Felt extremely 'weird' and 'totally un-focused'. Not worth it from my personal experience. Much better to 'exist' as an unmedicated inattentive ADD person!

Spektur
11-08-14, 04:01 PM
While it's certainly common to be prescribed dexedrine with a benzo the route in which you got there seems kind of odd. That's a lot of benzo for that dose of dex. Did the dex give you anxiety from the beginning of dosing or is it possibly related to the crash?

I had the same issue with anxiety though I felt it was due to feeling like the crash was around the corner. My doc first suggested increasing the dex dose. I mentioned benzo's and she quickly shot me down.

I had to go through effexor and brintellix before I had to cut her off because she was on to the next one, Paxil, Zoloft, etc. I suffered through 2 ssri's that was enough for me, they don't agree with me.

Anyways, Ssri's are always the first line against anxiety. No doc is going to be like oh you've never had treatment for anxiety, here try Xanax, practically never happens. I basically had to play nice for 6 months to prove I'm not a druggy, and, let's be honest here, benzos are no joke.

I finally got a script for Ativan, not exactly my first choice but it's a foot in the door. 3 months of playing nice with Ativan she said I could get klonopin if I want, we'll see.

So, what I'm saying is your doc seems out of line. It takes time to get benzos, and for good reason. They work great, an ssri can't touch them, but like my doc told me, if you finish your dexedrine script early each month you'll just get sleepy, I know everyone is different. However if you finish that benzo script early your going to be horribly uncomfortable.

I could tell that they demand respect from the get go. Only takes a couple of times of using ativan for what supposed to be situational anxiety before you magically have situational anxiety the days you didn't take a benzo because of the withdrawal. Benzos create their own demand, so yah man, proceed with caution. You could ask me about any other drug and I'd be like sure go for it, whatever, so I don't say proceed with caution willy nilly.

People will say ah benzos arn't euphoric or they're a crappy high I'd never abuse them. True they're not addictive in the euphoric sense, however if you truly have anxiety problems there is nothing like a benzo. The relief the first time was mind blowing. They make themselves easy to reach for and next thing you know you have to taper drastically to make it to the next month.

So you've either got too low of a dose of dex or too high depending on when the anxiety hits. Adderrall is far worse for the anxiety prone, something to keep in mind if your doc wants to go that route.

ak2146
11-09-14, 05:37 AM
Thanks. Based upon my personal experience of this drug combo treatment and dex treatment alone, I choose to stay unmedicated. I am not a drug user/abuser, and I deeply respect my mind. Most importantly, I learn from my personal experiences: Never again will I take Dex and/or valium alone and/or in combination. ;)

Pilgrim
11-09-14, 12:05 PM
Tried it out for 3 days. Definitely a no-go! Felt extremely 'weird' and 'totally un-focused'. Not worth it from my personal experience. Much better to 'exist' as an unmedicated inattentive ADD person!

Just wait a while.

The trick with Dex is the right DOSAGE. Probably the worst thing is getting tired at the end of the day.

Flory
11-09-14, 12:40 PM
I take both now and it seems ok so far .....
I have a bad anxiety problem not related to dex that causes panic attacks and muscle tension with bruxism the diazepam seems to help

Laserbeak
11-09-14, 01:39 PM
I take chlordiazepoxide (Librium), the mother of Valium and all other benzodiazepines along with Adderall, it seems to have a synergistic effect -- both accentuating each other positives while negating each other's negatives.

It is becoming a more and more widely accepted drug combo.

Sickle
11-19-14, 04:45 PM
I use PRNs with klonopin but I won't take klonopin regularly... I was on Xanax for years and it was hell stopping that drug whereas dexedrine I can stop anytime and I just get loud and obnoxious. Have you tried magnesium supplementation??? and vitamin C at night.

With the correlation of long term benzo use and alzheimer's, I tend to be more wary nowadays.

Winszton
11-19-14, 05:53 PM
For me, benzos make me live a happy productive life.

I've been taking then for years with no problems.

The new young pdocs are taught to tell people that benzos are scary and addictive, but they really aren't.

I'm definitely not addicted to my Clonazepam, and it helps me live a normal functional life.

You do not need to skip days if your doctor instructed you to take it every day, I take my Clonazepam every single day and it's fine.

I've gone off it several times with minimal to no problems.

You're one of the lucky ones then! :) Sometimes I wish I was.
But yeah, it has been documented that some patients can take benzos for years then stop cold turkey no problem. Others can feel withdrawals after taking a medium dose for just 2 weeks.

But just anecdotally, I see far more people who can't take them straight for more than about 4-6 weeks without getting withdrawals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodiazepine_withdrawal_syndrome
One thing it notes is that if you are taking a long acting (clonazepam) benzo, you might have to be off for 3 weeks before noticing withdrawal really kicking in. I'm not questioning your usage, I'm just saying no one reading the thread should assume they're lucky like you.

Ak2146 don't give up too quickly! It takes time to get dosing right, to get the right ADD med, to take the right supplements (magnesium at night, for example) or right meds (different varieties of benzos for example. most hate one kind while another is perfect for them) before you will have found what works best.
Like most people on this board it took me quite a bit of trial and error to find what was optimal. And some of the meds/doses I took made me feel like total crap but I'm glad I persisted because my current regimen (3 days a week dex+benzo) helps immensely in my life.

ak2146
11-20-14, 03:11 AM
Thanks. I appreciate your comments.

clydethompson
01-11-15, 04:57 AM
works great for me, not the avg. person but keeps my thoughts fluid and on track. Increased my verbal short term memory which was at a deficit with only stims or a benzo.

SpiKed
01-12-15, 11:46 AM
i myself am prescribed 20mg dextrostat taken twice a day, with 4mg xanax XR taken with my morning dose and an additional 2mg xanax IR taken at bedtime if needed .. i have been on this regimen for about 11 years (though about every 6 months my doc cycles the stimulant between 20mg dextrostat, 10mg desoxyn, and very rarely 20mg adderall if the previous two are unavailable) and i feel it works very well for people who require it (i have ADHD and GAD/panic disorder). the key is getting the dose of both meds exactly right ... knock on wood the regimen has worked amazingly well for me and i have not experienced any negative effects from the benzo, in fact as long as the dose is exactly right the benzo compliments the stimulant very well, makes it easier on the body and makes it so smooth i rarely feel any peaks or valleys .. this combo is not for everyone and i obviously was not started on this xanax dosage, but contrary to what some people say about long term benzo use not working, my xanax dosage has been stable and not needed to be raised for around 9 years.

Matt329
02-04-15, 08:03 AM
I have to say from 7+ years of being prescribed this combo that it is the single most effective and beneficial combination I have ever experienced. Valium is not only safer than most benzos to withdrawal from due to its extremely long half life, but is listed as one of the worlds most essential medications along with klonopins I believe. When taken together it can relax your muscles, lower blood pressure, paranoia, anxiety, and actually save your life by raising the seuzire threshold. Wonderful medication.

Also is a god send during the comedown. A weak but effective benzo which imo has a much lower dependency and addiction potential than harder benzos like Xanax. I strongly support these two medications being prescribed together since the Valium can actually benefit your health when on amphetemines. Just dose accordingly or you can deminsh the effects of the amphetemines.

Winszton
02-19-15, 08:11 PM
While I stand by what I posted earlier in this thread, that it can be a safe and effective combo if the benzo is treated with ALOT of respect, I'm now trying to find an alternative.

I'm currently trying out Zoloft for the anxiety. I had taken it in my early angsty teens and it cured my depression for good so I stopped it, but I had forgot that it can also be an excellent anti-anxiety med.
If it can lower my benzo dose at least somewhat then I'll be very happy.

Because benzos, while sometimes the best option, are absolutely bad for the body and brain, from alzheimers, to mental/memory deficits (always while on them, often permanent after long time use), to early death, to cancer, to a lowered immune system, to poorer sleep quality... all of this is as scientifically definite as is our knowledge of say, the effects of smoking, and anyone taking them should realize that.
I just say that because I feel as if a lot of people are either unaware of the facts or downplay them because ****, benzos are a godsend.

I'm also going to try going through all the different methylphenidate based drugs to see if any cause less anxiety.

If SSRI's and that don't work, I'll try Lyrica, Wellbutrin, and anything else I can think of.

ak2146
03-08-15, 04:22 PM
Here's a quick update. Now my doc has put me on the following treatment plan:

6AM: 10 mg Dex + 1mg Clonazepam
12PM: 10mg Dex
6PM: 10 mg Dex + 1mg Clonazepam

Result: not working at all, I feel like a total ZOMBIE. Unfocused and super tense and stressed! I don't know what to do anymore!

FocusPocus10
03-24-15, 09:10 AM
Thats a heft klonopin dose to start off on. Try taking 1 tablet at night to start (has a long half life so will work throughout the next day). Or do .5mg 6am/pm as you are. I would recommend the night time 1mg though because you will be fairly sensitive to drowsiness being new to benzos.

ak2146
03-29-15, 01:10 PM
Thanks to all. Appreciate your experiences and thoughts very much. Cheers.