View Full Version : Career Confusion

neetah
11-05-14, 03:27 AM
So I have changed careers 3 or 4 times now. Yet ive never actually had a proper job. Only menial jobs whilst I studied and tried to figure out what i wanted to do in life.

I have had a lot of interesting career ideas, and been passionate about many hobbies, but i never followed through with any of them until the very end.

Finally I committed to doing a degree... I chose anthropology, i was really passionate about it and it has taken me 4 years to get to the end.

Its my first real big accomplishment. So I thought i would feel happy and proud. But now right at the very end i feel like i am starting to hate it and lose interest completely. I feel insecure about my lack of job prospects and have no idea what I want to do with this degree.

I have 3 major essays to go till the end of my degree and I am falling asleep at my desk. How could I have dedicated 4 years of my life to something that now bores me so much.

I am already 30 and have built no future for myself.

Am i destined to lose interest in everything i pursue for the rest of my life. I feel like everything I have ever been passionate about has just been a passing phase and I have never been able to turn any of my passions into a living.

11-05-14, 11:37 AM
Same problem, really. I lose interest in everything I try to do, but even faster than you. 27 years old, and the longest period I managed to work was 8 months. In university I wanted to drop it each month, and each time it was a different idea.
Finally, I managed to finish my second university(I droped from the first one), I would drop it to, but there was a girl I really liked and we were good friends, so I went and studied each day only to see her. I wasn't going in the days she wouldn't come, I finished it with good grades.

I changed my job a lot of times, and each time it was a different area. So now, I know nothing really good, and people when will see my CV don't want to take me for work. At my current job, the boss was laughing when he was looking at my CV, he said I have everything in this CV. I spent most of the time unemployed than employed....

Jenn1202
11-06-14, 01:10 AM
I can relate. Every time I think I've truly found my passion and can make a career out of it, I get sick of it very quickly and want to change careers again. Sometimes I want to work in multiple fields all at the same time, while exploring other options. I just can't stick to one thing and do it full time without wanting to switch to something else.

Potential employers often get confused when they look at my resume because I've worked in lots of different fields and disciplines. Some potential employers like it and some don't. One time I was asked if I had ADHD or something. Other times people were actually impressed. It's often hard to predict how people will react.