View Full Version : Took my first Ritalin and I have no idea if it works

GCTB74
11-05-14, 09:07 PM
I know this question probably gets asked a LOT, but I gotta ask...

"What am I supposed to feel like on Ritalin?"

I was prescribed Adderall last month for my ADHD and it absolutely did NOTHING, so my Doctor gave me a Ritalin Prescription to see if that would work. I took it for the first time at 3:30 PM today and...well...I have absolutely NO idea if it's working.

I am not employed right now and I don't go to school, so right now I don't have anything going on that I need to "focus" or "concentrate better" on. So I have NO idea if my focus is better because all I've been doing all day is watching TV and playing on the internet (and I never have a problem focusing on those two things! lol)

I THINK that MAYBE I felt a LITTLE calmer? A BIT toned down? Just a BIT though...but I don't know. Maybe that was placebo effect. I don't feel anything noticeable. I just feel a VERY mild, subtle feeling of maybe being a bit calmer.

Also, about 2 hours ago an incident happened that I would usually feel very annoyed about and become frustrated and possibly have an outburst, but I noticed I didn't. I still felt annoyed, but I didn't let it get any worse. I have no idea if that "better" reaction was the Ritalin or just me being rational (which I am capable of even OFF meds)

I read everyone else's reactions to Ritalin and they ALL seem so NOTICEABLE. Even if it's a negative response they still feel SOMETHING different. I feel pretty much the same. Usually I am ADHD level 10, I MAYBE feel at an 8 or 9 right now, but I was hoping to feel MUCH better and I want to "Know" it's working.

It's now almost 5 hours later and I also have no idea if it has worn off yet. (It's the time release kind) Shouldn't I FEEL it working?

If I have nothing I need to focus and concentrate on right now, doesn't that mean taking Ritalin is pointless for me? I REALLY want to feel less anxiety ridden and less impulsive. My doctor said he was "sure" ADHD meds would calm me down.

Corina86
11-06-14, 11:04 AM
I think you should find something to focus on, like reading a book, some longer more difficult articles on the Internet, cleaning the house or cooking something. Maybe someone in your family or one of your friends needs help with something. If you don't feel anything at all, even then, then maybe your dosage is too small.

TXJK14
11-06-14, 11:55 AM
I remember the first time I took Ritalin. I didn't notice a "change" but everyone else around me did. I was pretty young and was browsing through a history book and kept asking a ton of questions that I would have never asked before and pointing out things most people hadn't.

So you might not notice anything right off but that doesn't mean it's not working.

GCTB74
11-06-14, 02:20 PM
Tomorrow I'm I have plans with some of my friends, so I am excited to see if they notice anything. I visited my mom after I had taken it and she said I seemed to talk less...but after that I got excited about a certain topic and she said "Oh...well now you're back to talking like your old self." So I have no idea.

TXJK14
11-06-14, 04:03 PM
There is nothing wrong with talking a lot. I talk a lot because I have been told when Im trying to communicate an idea to someone that I don't do it in a way that most understand. The end results is Im told Im over explaining things.

GCTB74
11-06-14, 04:18 PM
Yes! I over-explain things too! People say I use way too many extraneous details when I tell a story and they find it "annoying and rambling."

TXJK14
11-06-14, 08:46 PM
I have never found a happy medium. I just tell people when they know what I'm trying to say stop me. Or when I finish I ask if I made any sense at all, that's assuming they don't get the "wtf" look on their face.

hoosdatguy
02-11-15, 01:59 PM
Yes! I over-explain things too! People say I use way too many extraneous details when I tell a story and they find it "annoying and rambling."
I chuckled when I read this. I've never noticed it until my brother pointed it out. Because he's my brother, he wasn't so nice about it. haha.
"Dude, can't you F***ing explain S**t without getting side tracked?".