View Full Version : Swearing-vocal tic?

jlynn30
11-06-14, 10:58 AM
My 4 year old son (diagnosed ADHD and on Tenex) has recently started using the F word and saying Mother F. Now, I'm not saying that I have never sworn in front of him because I'm sure I've slipped once or twice. The thing is that he isn't parroting them or using them in anger or even saying them at someone; it seems he is just saying them.

For example, his teacher said they were all sitting at the table doing an activity yesterday and he was singing some gummy bear song when we suddenly starting singing Mother Fing gummy bear on repeat. Again, not in anger or to get anyones attention...just to say it.

When you ask him where he learned the words or why he is saying them; he says (insert friends name..many have been named) said it and they tell each other to use naughty words. The teacher (whom I trust) doesn't think this is the case as she has never heard the other boys use those words.

I'm wondering if it might be some sort of vocal tic? I don't really know much about them or if I'm just looking for an excuse for the behavior. Any help would be appreciated...thank you.

Fuzzy12
11-06-14, 11:09 AM
I don't know much about vocal tics but to be honest it doesn't necessarily sound like one to me. It could be but I think, it might be more likely that he is just using a new word he recently picked up as a sort of placeholder.

I know the gummy bear song and I rarely remember the exact lyrics so I make up my own words when singing it, especially during "I'm a yummy, gummy, something, something gummy bear". And well, mother****ing gummy bear does have a rather nice ring to it.

It's possible that your teacher hasn't heard the other boys swearing since they might be more aware of their surroundings and better able at controlling what they say in front their teacher.

Stevuke79
11-06-14, 12:50 PM
I'm wondering if it might be some sort of vocal tic? I don't really know much about them or if I'm just looking for an excuse for the behavior. Any help would be appreciated...thank you.

Based on what you said, that's definitely not a vocal tic. Also, swearing or even speaking specific words is these least common form or tourettes or tics.

Kids figure out what new words mean by experimenting with them. They do it with every word they learn, and when it's a swear word our ears perk up and it sounds more out of place. But it's the same learning process.

Also it's a simple fact - at that age it's exclusively the ADHD kid who gets busted. My daughter begged to bring her lip-gloss to school. It's against the rules but she begged because her friend brought her lip gloss into school and showed it to DD and then DD promised to bring and show hers to the friend. She said just like her friend, she would be very very careful and the teacher wont see it.

My point:
I told DD, just because your friend can pull that off and not get caught, doesn't mean you can. (and DD is a very smart kid)

jlynn30
11-06-14, 12:52 PM
Based on what you said, that's definitely not a vocal tic. Also, swearing or even speaking specific words is these least common form or tourettes or tics.

Kids figure out what new words mean by experimenting with them. They do it with every word they learn, and when it's a swear word our ears perk up and it sounds more out of place. But it's the same learning process.

Also it's a simple fact - at that age it's exclusively the ADHD kid who gets busted. My daughter begged to bring her lip-gloss to school. It's against the rules but she begged because her friend brought her lip gloss into school and showed it to DD and then DD promised to bring and show hers to the friend. She said just like her friend, she would be very very careful and the teacher wont see it.

My point:
I told DD, just because your friend can pull that off and not get caught, doesn't mean you can. (and DD is a very smart kid)

Yes...that is so true about the age and getting busted!

jlynn30
11-11-14, 01:04 PM
I don't know much about vocal tics but to be honest it doesn't necessarily sound like one to me. It could be but I think, it might be more likely that he is just using a new word he recently picked up as a sort of placeholder.

I know the gummy bear song and I rarely remember the exact lyrics so I make up my own words when singing it, especially during "I'm a yummy, gummy, something, something gummy bear". And well, mother****ing gummy bear does have a rather nice ring to it.

It's possible that your teacher hasn't heard the other boys swearing since they might be more aware of their surroundings and better able at controlling what they say in front their teacher.

And don't you know it...there is a you tube video of that gummy bear song that is explicit with lots of naughty language. Now, I checked out history and it wasn't viewed on our you tube, but who knows.

We are still working out the language at school. We think he is doing it at school to get the attention of his peers. He is quite the show boat at school!

BrainFreeze
11-11-14, 07:06 PM
this reminds me of standing in a queue at Woolies with our groceries and Mr 5 says 'this is taking aaages. F%&*s Sake'...my first thought was 'yeah, i totally agree'. but, then i had to reprimand him. Then, i saw the look on the faces of the other people in the queue who were trying not to laugh...but, it was too late as my son had seen the smiles flit across their face and he started dropping the F bomb left, right and centre...He was in the spotlight and wanted to give a good show...So, yeah he knows it's a swear word - but, he also knows it will get him attention when he uses it....

Hml1976
01-09-15, 03:52 PM
My son has Tourette's and occasionally has a vocal tic that is a word, luckily no swear words yet. You can immediately tell its a tic. He will generally repeat the word several times in a row (luckily my son will whisper it) and it just sounds different than a regular word.

Also, 4 is really young for word tics, usually tics start as something more subtle like eye blinking or throat clearing. Most are motor tics...not my son though, his was a coughing tic.