View Full Version : What is ADHD ?

SB_UK
11-07-14, 08:34 AM
As echoed by KD's various threads = Sensitivity
The Highly sensitive person describes what I consider ADHD perfectly.

What is sensitivity ?
We know that certain systems are overloaded in autism, schizophrenia, and ADHD eg 'sensory', 'empathizing thought', 'systematizing thought' - so that suggests that it's possible for these systems to develop in such a way that they immerse the individual in more information, in the case of overload syndromes, than they can handle.

We also know that information upload can 'float our boats' eg musical chills.

So - the suggestion is simply that ADDers are sensitive (predisposed) to the development of these increased informational relay systems.

That this is our reward system.

IE development of:
sensory -> high quality art, immersion in sensory experience
empathizing thought -> social species formation
systematizing thought -> rational systems which support the above two

But the downside of our tendency to sensitivity in these 3 areas is sensitivity to distress when we contravene these 3 predispositions.

sensory -> low quality sensory information exposure eg pop music, pop tarts
empathizing thought -> to see others suffer
systematizing thought -> to behave immorally

Summarizing
Neural overload documented in disorders of the mind (autism -> adhd -> schizophrenia) clearly specifies that neural systems can develop which deliver more information than can be handled.
Markham's Intense World Theory defines how nerves can re-arrange to deliver greater informational flow (sensitivity).
ADDer sensitivity is geared towards the sustainable construction of these 3 neural systems towards increased informational flow/increased sensitivity/increased quality of experience.
ADDer reward system is activated by the sustainable construction of these 3 high quality informational flow systems.
We know that informational flow can activate the dopaminergic system through research into musical chills.

The disorder element of ADHD arises through attempting paths through life which do not meet the criteria listed above (ie to generate internal neural quality of experience in these 3 levels).
Disorder leads to stress leads to all of the conditions we relate to chronic stress from increased infectious disease susceptibility to memory loss.

ADHD medication simply switches off the alarm bells ie stops us from feeling a stress response by having the effect which sustainable construction of the 3 quality systems ie dopaminergic activation enables.

SB_UK
11-07-14, 08:47 AM
So how do we overcome ADHD ?
Generate an environment where the 3 neural systems we're predisposed to building ... build.

So what is ADHD ?
The next stage in human evolution.

What is the absolute enemy of ADHD ?
Low quality anti-social materialism best summarised as the dirty, lazy fat rentier capitalist who spends his life between fast food take-aways and prostitutes.

-*-

ADHD - on 3 levels - represents a tendency towards higher quality existence.

SB_UK
11-07-14, 08:59 AM
The 3 sections loosely connect to science, art and social science - represents the underlying nature to University - reflects the intended point to Uni - to allow development in these 3 internal quality sensing neural systems.

And what happens instead ?
The people who run these avenues of investigation become variants of dirty, lazy fat rentier capitalists who spend their life between fast food take-aways and prostitutes.

ie material world attachment/addicted

- the people (in this current world) overseeing individual development in these 3 informational systems are having the opposite effect and reducing the quality sensing machinery giving rise to low quality primitive reward system seeking individuals.

This world generates only:
dirty, lazy fat rentier capitalists who spend their life between fast food take-aways and prostitutes.

SB_UK
11-07-14, 09:32 AM
Because no-one here can bear to read more than a few words.

ADHD is a predisposition towards information (quality) handling and just as we see the industrial age giving way to the informational age
- so we see that human beings change from the industrial (materialism reward system) to quality of information (informational reward system) as motivation.

The underlying motivation which drove the industrial and informational revolutions are developmental aspects of human beings
- underneath human change ie the way that we've developed - is a tendency (Evolutionary) to develop in that way - which has guided the (workplace) structure in society which we've constructed.

Very simply - evolutionary change in the neural / informational handling capacity in the mind has driven us towards social structures which support their development.

We're at a point of understanding now where we need to STOP behaving like primitives and develop personal quality without worrying about the usual rentier capitalist who grows fat on other peoples' graft.

An end to money, law, human hierarchy where others are held down in place.

11-07-14, 09:50 AM
pls explain one more time what did u mean here:
"sensory -> low quality sensory information exposure eg pop music, pop tarts
"

SB_UK
11-07-14, 10:21 AM
pls explain one more time what did u mean here:
"sensory -> low quality sensory information exposure eg pop music, pop tarts
"

Simply imagine generating high quality in these systems - and absence of quality and it's a society supporting absence of quality which does not support individual quality generation which accordingly fails to excite our reward system - which gives rise to stress - disorder ie absence of reward.

SB_UK
11-07-14, 10:22 AM
So eg listening to coarse/crass eg pop music offends the ear, seeing the majority suffering because of the existence of money, behaving irrationally from the perspective of morality ... ...

- just very simply a society which contravenes generation of neural systems which reflect quality on those 3 levels.

SB_UK
11-07-14, 10:38 AM
Sensory information eg musical chills -> dopamine

Empathy information -> happy feelings if people do well and bad if we observe suffering - undoubtedly dopamine involved when we see others do well ref. mirror neurones of the reward system study in the ACCg.

Systematizing information -> I feel good when things make sense, positive moral ideas come to mind - I can believe these connect to reward also

General point - we're customized to these rewarfing behaviours and cannot do eg reward material world (eg money) or reward power over another human being - which contravenes reward empathy.

SB_UK
11-07-14, 10:47 AM
If you like - it could be considered the mechanism of emergence of a social species.

That's all really.

You know it's unbelievably tiring going over and over personal insight and wording.

There isn't any doubt that we're moving into a world in which information floats our boat - but it's the underlying evolutionary change which has propelled us down this route - and not adopting the approach (Internet, TV, radio) which has shaped us; that latter idea'd be backwards - we've pursued collaborative approaches in science, art, communication and now have the final obstacle of unleashing art, science and society/communication [the internal human neural system equating to these 3 areas] with an optimal societal structure - one in which all people are equal are not distressed are able to develop personal quality in these 3 very broad aspects of brain/mind or life.

11-07-14, 10:55 AM
It's just I can relate to those, so what you want to say is that most ADDers feel like this ?

Also about chills, you mean when listening to music, imagination, or other things, and you get chills through your body? which I think can be realease of Norepinephrine in the body

SB_UK
11-07-14, 11:16 AM
It's just I can relate to those, so what you want to say is that most ADDers feel like this ?

Also about chills, you mean when listening to music, imagination, or other things, and you get chills through your body? which I think can be realease of Norepinephrine in the body

Yes - this (the above) is ADHD.
The important point though is that it's the sensitivity which can go any which way ie distressed high sensitivity could easily become a drug addict, or nurtured high sensitivity a Nobel prize winner - it's the high sensitivity / environment interaction which gives rise to the individual.

Your brain flushes with dopamine and a tingly chill whisks down your back. Your brain flushes with dopamine and a tingly chill whisks down your back.
http://mentalfloss.com/article/51745/why-does-music-give-us-chills

SB_UK
11-07-14, 11:19 AM
The simplest point I'm trying to make and as made by KD/Peripheral is simply that the ADDer is a highly sensitive person - and we can simply add the mechanism - neural system rearrangement (see Markham's finding in the Intense World Theory) in the empathizing/systematizing and sensory neural systems which we know from overload syndromes in the mental health spectrum - can occur.

Empathizing / Systematizing is a model for mind as projected by Camrbidge's Baron Cohen.
Opening doors to perception (sensory upload) was supporte by Cambridge's Huxley.
ADHD is being declared in Cambridge's latest Nobel prize winner.

You know - none of this is really so hard to come by.

Pattern of development in 3 neural systems (quality) as the reward system of choice (proper reward system) to man.

The other reward system (primitive ie money/power) was never human.

We're only just now realising it.

11-07-14, 11:28 AM
Good article. "sad music triggers chills more often than happy music" This explains a lot, I listen a lot of post-rock. And I think this may the reason I tend to be depressive, this is the way my brain gets excitement. Music sound even more powerful when in despair.

SB_UK
11-07-14, 11:37 AM
Good article. "sad music triggers chills more often than happy music" This explains a lot, I listen a lot of post-rock. And I think this may the reason I tend to be depressive, this is the way my brain gets excitement. Music sound even more powerful when in despair.

Post rock also - I thought because of the texture of that type of music.

SB_UK
11-07-14, 11:39 AM
The musical chill feel is generally good I think ... ... not sure about the connection to sadness - interesting - not dwelling on it too deeply - generally dopamine is considered a good thing for the brain/mind to generate for itself ... ...

SB_UK
11-07-14, 11:43 AM
Should mention that the connection to texture is meant to reference sensory quality ie as if we're touching something delicate, intricate ... ...
a connection between sense of touch, sensory and musical enjoyment... ...

And for some reason my mind wants to make the connection between motor and logical/systematizing mind ... ... don't know why.

SB_UK
11-07-14, 11:57 AM
So ... ....

sensory [upgrade to virtual information eg music] --- interneurone--- motor [upgrade to systematizing consistency ie wisdom structure]
sensory [upgrade to virtual information eg music] --- intern|
sensory [upgrade to virtual information eg music] --- internv
sensory [upgrade to virtual information eg musiupgrade to empathy reward system

The model could represent an upgrade of the [sensory - interneurone - motor structure] to the brain ... ...

but I've not thought about this idea and am not too sure where I've gotten this motor connection to the thinking/systematizing brain ... ... could make sense though since that's the bit of the brain which can command motor operations ... ... don't know.

2.2 Cortical areas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebral_cortex#Cortical_areas)

2.2.1 Sensory areas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebral_cortex#Sensory_areas)
2.2.2 Motor areas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebral_cortex#Motor_areas)
2.2.3 Association areas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebral_cortex#Association_areas)

SB_UK
11-07-14, 11:59 AM

So - a kinda' 'meta level' to the {sensory-inter-motor} structure of the brain's cerebral cortex giving rise to MIND.

The mind [evol. adaptation] as a meta-level neural structure to the brain's cerebral cortex - which makes sense ... ... because that's kinda what you'd expect an observer (mind) on brain to be - a meta-level perspective.

SB_UK
11-07-14, 12:16 PM
So if the question is that quality in these 3 systems gave rise to the mind -
and mind occurred at speciation event ~40k years ago ... ... then

the point being that these systems began development 40k years ago but weren't complete.

With ADDer we're looking at formed (sensitive) metalevel structures which give rise to the experience which we all have; formed at the three levels described.

Enforcedly social reward systems - we can behave badly (rentier capitalist spending their day travelling from fast food restaurant to brothel) - but we won't enjoy (sustainable dopamine hit) it.

Whether it's good or bad (our sensitivity) depends on context.
In this current world sensitivity is a very bad thing.
In the approaching social world - our reward system will be essential to make the world work ie people will only behave well if motivated (internal programming) so to do.

You don't see rogue individuals in social species ... ... the social nature is imprinted without capacity to escape.

Born into poverty or harassment and the sensitive amongst us will do particularly poorly.

SB_UK
11-07-14, 12:22 PM
Summing it up though.

[1] ADDer = Highly Sensitive Person encoded at neural structure/arrangement level
[2] This sensitivity when expressed/exposed can float (reward system activation) our boat (flouting our custom sensitivity results in distress).
[3] Mental disorders on the spectrum which're hypothesized as overload syndromes in the 3 aspects of quality referenced - point us to the existence of, mechanism of and the nature of the systems [sensory, empathizing, systematizing] which we're customised (by design) to develop.
[4] The systems can be seen to be at an evolutionary metalevel to the brain's cerebellar cortical sensory, motor and inter- levels ... giving rise (when complete) to mind.

That's definitely right - ticks all the boxes ... ... what we need is global equality and happy sustainable living for all so we can develop quality (as defined above).

mildadhd
11-08-14, 08:58 PM
Should mention that the connection to texture is meant to reference sensory quality ie as if we're touching something delicate, intricate ... ...
a connection between sense of touch, sensory and musical enjoyment... ...

And for some reason my mind wants to make the connection between motor and logical/systematizing mind ... ... don't know why.

Not sure if this was something like what you are thinking ...

If I understand Prof Panksepp correctly?

The automatic connection between the motion (motor) and the emotion (feeling)

"Fight or freeze or flight" (automatic nervous system).

"Emotional Affect" (automatic nervous system)

This primary type of lower subcortical emotional psychology meant to override higher cortical logical psychology, to promote survival, during threatening situations/circumstances.

Examples layman paraphrasing Prof Panksepp

Scared, anxious, etc (feeling) originating from the (unconditioned FEAR system) evolved with act of running away (motor) to escape survive(flight)

Angry, irritated, etc (feeling) originating from the (unconditioned RAGE system) evolved with act of fighting (motor) to escape and survive.

Expectancy, curious, etc, (feeling) originating from the (unconditioned SEEKING system) evolved with act of searching (motor) for resources to survive and escape.

(Side Note, It is obvious the emotions are more mature at birth. I can't figure out where the psychology of emotion ends and the psychology of cognition begins? To me it appears as if psychology of cognition are secondary(learning and memory) and tertiary (awareness and complex regulation) psychological emotional processes.)

(Please leave room for learning, need to learn to verbally express the connection between the preverbal motion and preverbal emotion and verbal cognition)

P

mildadhd
11-08-14, 09:30 PM
Hyperreactivity = Hypersensitivity (Paraphrasing Dr.Mate)

P

11-09-14, 02:35 PM
While all this sounds good SB_Uk, I wan't to point something: Sadly, given to our addictive nature, ADD people are more prone to become addicted to brothels..

SB_UK
11-12-14, 10:24 AM
While all this sounds good SB_Uk, I wan't to point something: Sadly, given to our addictive nature, ADD people are more prone to become addicted to brothels..

But Peripheral has presented a study in which given free ad libitum access to morphine - the rats in rat park ONLY take it in an adverse environment.

SB_UK
11-12-14, 10:26 AM
ALL ADDICTIVE behaviours driven in an adverse environment.

What's your addiction of choice ?

Poor people - cakes
Richer - alcohol
Very rich - brothels