View Full Version : First 6 weeks on Adderall - Is this normal?

SavvyCountryBoy
11-07-14, 09:23 AM
I changed doctors from a neurosurgeon with a weird view of ADHD to a psychiatrist who specializes in it. I was taking 10 MG of Ritalin IR a day previously which made me feel like crap and he switched me over to Adderall on my first visit. 30 MG XR and 30 MG IR (as needed). I'm 41, 6 foot, 250 pounds.

After 6 weeks of taking it, I want a gut check to see if my experience is normal. The voice in my head keeps nagging at me that I'm dependent or will become so. Here's why:

1 - I work from home in a very detailed job that requires constant reading and writing. I used to pull my hair out and throw things I'd get so frustrated not being able to get my head in gear. A reminder of all my school days. That problem is now gone. Easy breezy. I have never been so productive in 8 to 10 hours a day. Will I need meds forever to work? This has been the most positive effect I've seen so far.

2 - Initially, I took only the 30 xr and then added a 15 in afternoon later one. After 6 weeks, I now take the full 60 spaced out and it's consistent in effect every single day. Same stop and start times. Will a tolerance develop over time?

3 - I was told I could skip days or not. I don't like to skip them as my recreational activities are much more enjoyable now. Sitting still while hunting, watching a football game on TV with wife, cleaning up the farm, or writing a manuscript were so difficult. Now, it's so much easier to engage. Is this normal?

4 - I lost 10 pounds the first month. I eat one big meal in evening and a snack at lunch. I haven't felt any negative side effects from this. Will appetite return?

5 - Lastly, most of the time I get a rush feeling first thing in the morning, other times not. I know when it's kicking it and I know when it's gone. My mind opens up and it's ready to engage. No euphoria reported though. I like the kick-start in the morning and I don't drink coffee. Am I getting addicted?

Thanks for the time to read this and help me gather experiences to see where I'm at so far.

Savvy

SavvyCountryBoy
11-07-14, 09:29 AM
Oh yeah, one last thing...

6 - Adderall makes me super aroused to the point it's a distraction some times.

Savvy

sarahsweets
11-09-14, 09:32 AM
many of us have accepted the fact that we will take meds indefinitely. There is nothing wrong with this. Dependence is not the same as addiction.

DegreeHunter
11-17-14, 08:23 AM
Some answers below in red.

I changed doctors from a neurosurgeon with a weird view of ADHD to a psychiatrist who specializes in it. I was taking 10 MG of Ritalin IR a day previously which made me feel like crap and he switched me over to Adderall on my first visit. 30 MG XR and 30 MG IR (as needed). I'm 41, 6 foot, 250 pounds.

After 6 weeks of taking it, I want a gut check to see if my experience is normal. The voice in my head keeps nagging at me that I'm dependent or will become so. Here's why:

1 - I work from home in a very detailed job that requires constant reading and writing. I used to pull my hair out and throw things I'd get so frustrated not being able to get my head in gear. A reminder of all my school days. That problem is now gone. Easy breezy. I have never been so productive in 8 to 10 hours a day. Will I need meds forever to work? This has been the most positive effect I've seen so far.

Yes, you most likely will need them forever now. Try taking a day off from the med's and seeing how it feels to work without them, it's not very fun. Depending on how long you use the med's, it will be very difficult to adjust to life without them after, your productivity will be cut in half if not more.

2 - Initially, I took only the 30 xr and then added a 15 in afternoon later one. After 6 weeks, I now take the full 60 spaced out and it's consistent in effect every single day. Same stop and start times. Will a tolerance develop over time?
Tolerance does develop over time in most cases. At first the drug provides a lot of motivation which fades over time. Then it's up to you to self motivate and keep yourself on task, this is when most people start to complain of tolerance.

3 - I was told I could skip days or not. I don't like to skip them as my recreational activities are much more enjoyable now. Sitting still while hunting, watching a football game on TV with wife, cleaning up the farm, or writing a manuscript were so difficult. Now, it's so much easier to engage. Is this normal?
I'd say it's normal at first, but the effect will wear off a bit. Things are a bit more fun though, but it might just be because your brain can settle down and stay focused on what you're doing. Many people do state that simple things are more fun in life just due to the med's though.

4 - I lost 10 pounds the first month. I eat one big meal in evening and a snack at lunch. I haven't felt any negative side effects from this. Will appetite return?
My appetite took a couple months to return, but it was not at 100%, food just didn't taste as good. When I quiet the med's a while back everything suddenly began to taste much better and I put on a lot of weight.

5 - Lastly, most of the time I get a rush feeling first thing in the morning, other times not. I know when it's kicking it and I know when it's gone. My mind opens up and it's ready to engage. No euphoria reported though. I like the kick-start in the morning and I don't drink coffee. Am I getting addicted?
You're not addicted in the sense that you'll be crying for a fix if you don't get your med's, but for many people life can be hell without them due to dependance.

Thanks for the time to read this and help me gather experiences to see where I'm at so far.

Savvy

DegreeHunter
11-17-14, 08:24 AM
Oh yeah, one last thing...

6 - Adderall makes me super aroused to the point it's a distraction some times.

Savvy

Oddly enough this happened to me as well at times. I'd be sitting studying the cardiovascular system and next thing I know I was hyper-focused on other things:rolleyes:

sarahsweets
11-18-14, 05:40 AM
Don't obsess to much on tolerance. Its way overrated.

cavrecon22
11-18-14, 12:28 PM
From my experience, I am on 25 mg of xr and I do not currently take it daily, i take it as needed.

The appetite thing, it returns after awhile, I have found that I do not 'feel' like I need to eat, but once in front of food, I usually devour whatever is there.

On lower doses of Adderall, I developed a tolerance, but I think this is dependent on whether you take it every day, I could be wrong, I probably am haha

I can tell when it kicks in and when it wears off, the days I do not take it, I do not feel as engaged with things, like the weekend etc.

I have noticed my sex drive has totally disappeared tho.

SavvyCountryBoy
11-24-14, 09:58 AM
Thank you very much for the detailed reply! Oddly enough, on my next visit, my doctor increased my prescription to 90 MG/day but the extra 30 IR is "just in case". I'm holding steady at 60 MG with a jump to 75 MG IR only when the days go very long.

Your reply (and others on this thread) has made me feel a good bit better about not being some addicted dude.

SavvyCountryBoy
11-24-14, 10:01 AM
Oddly enough this happened to me as well at times. I'd be sitting studying the cardiovascular system and next thing I know I was hyper-focused on other things:rolleyes:

Yeah, my wife is trying to keep up...she doesn't know what to do with me as "quickies" aren't as compelling now since I want to be explore the world. She'll come around :)

SavvyCountryBoy
11-24-14, 10:04 AM
Some answers below in red.

Thank you for the answers on this. It truly helped me feel a lot better about it. I got increased to 90 MG/day but still holding at 60 with a jump to 75 only on LONG days. Side effects like sweating and increased heart rate starting showing up at the 75 range but it's gone away at this point.

Savvy