View Full Version : Making it to class.

jopie90
11-12-14, 01:33 AM
Do you guys ever have trouble waking up for class? I have a terrible time waking up, like I have 4 alarm clocks and my cell phone. I'll wake up enough to turn off the alarm, but then I fall back asleep.

I can't break the cycle.

Jenn1202
11-12-14, 04:47 AM
Yes! I'm a night owl and I've always found it very difficult to make it to early morning classes or meetings. Back when I was in college I hardly ever made it to my early morning classes (unless I absolutely had to be there), and even when I did I was always late.

You could try setting more than 4 alarm clocks and hitting the snooze button instead of turning off the alarm. You could also ask a friend to make sure you wake up and even drag you out of bed if necessary (it works, from experience). Another possible solution to this problem is to ask people to call you and make sure you actually got up.

If you take stimulants you could try this:
Set one of the alarm clocks 30-60 minutes earlier than normal. Keep a bottle of water and your morning dose next to your bed, so that you don't have to leave your bed to take it. Take your morning dose as soon as the first alarm goes off (should be as easy as turning off the alarm) and then go right back to sleep. By the time your other alarms go off, the meds will already be in your system and you'll probably find it easier to get up and go to class.

Here's another thread about trouble waking up in the morning (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136604).

jopie90
11-12-14, 05:00 AM
Thanks for the tip!

Did you ever have to ask your professor for help with getting through the class? I have one who is somewhat understanding but I can tell he gets frustrated. I have a really hard time asking for help because I am nervous of their reactions.

Right now I am only on Wellbutrin XL. My doctor says that it's a well rounded antidepressant that is supposed to help with both depression and ADHD. However, I only really notice a change in my mood. I've been on it for 2 weeks.

I actually just got diagnosed with both and my doctor is just trying me out on medications to see what works. If this doesn't help me with my ADHD symptoms, he is going to add on some form of stimulant.

dvdnvwls
11-12-14, 05:43 AM
Depending on your living situation, it helps some people to set a loud alarm in a different room, or at least far enough away to force you to walk to turn it off. :)

Jenn1202
11-12-14, 06:14 AM
I was kind of afraid to talk to professors. I only asked one professor to help me get through a class, because the class didn't have a TA and I was really struggling to pass. Generally speaking, I just went to office hours, used online materials, worked with friends or asked the TAs for help.

You could try talking to the TAs and your school's disability office. You probably want to do this sooner rather than later for early morning classes that have mandatory attendance policies or pop quizzes that you tend to miss.

TXJK14
11-12-14, 12:34 PM
I have 4 alarms set on my phone with not so annoying alarm sounds starting at 615AM and the last one set at 7AM with the most annoying sound I can find. Thankfully now I can wake up to one of those but before that I would turn them all off and go back to sleep. The first thing I did in my personal training of waking up was to put my alarm far away from the bed where I had to get up but I could still hear it.

I would go as far as leaving myself a note sometimes by the alarm, "You probably want to get back in bed, but the rush of running late isn't worth that 5 minutes... Go get in the shower."

After a while of doing that I finally got to where I can keep my alarm(s) by my bed and still get up in the morning.

Khyliene
11-14-14, 03:52 AM
I have this same issue waking up to go to work, and we have three alarms in the room. The BF is up and out the door by 0630 and I always end up falling asleep and waking up after 0730....when I should have been already up and out the door. It's frustrating, and I know it's to do with habit and having to break that cycle. I like what TXJK14 said in how he broke his cycle....I think I am going to follow his example.

jopie90
11-14-14, 05:11 AM
I will try out what you suggested, TXJK14 and dvdnvwls. I do remember having a better time waking up when I lived in a 1 bedroom dorm, because I had my alarm clock in the bathroom. I'm not sure I can do that here without upsetting my roommate. He only works, but his hours vary, so I don't want to wake him up before he needs to get up.

I think something that might help me too is going to bed at the same time every night and waking up at the same time. It's kinda hard when you have class until 12, and you have to work from 1-10, then you have to do whatever homework that needs done.

I get super confused how people can manage these workloads and I struggle so much.

Jenn1202, how did you go about talking to the people at disability office? Did you just mention that you have ADHD and that you have a hard time waking up? How did the TA's help you?

FreshStart
11-22-14, 01:37 PM
I can vouch for the same, I am down to only 2 alarms now. At my first alarm an hour before I actually have to wake up, I take my dose and go back to sleep, by the second alarm I am usually good to go!! If need be I set a third but only for 10-15min.

Some other tips, don't have your windows completely blacked out it, the natural light will wake your system up.
Also, I have a philips hue light system in my room meaning I control my lights through my phone, ahhhh human laziness at its best, I can gradually increase the brightness in my room as I check social media on my phone to wake me up.

FreshStart
11-22-14, 01:44 PM
Another interesting thing to try is classical conditioning. A lot of people are familiar with Ian Pavlov's dog experiment.
(he rung a bell while giving a dog a treat, the dog would salivate with the treat. He repeated this multiple times and eventually the dog would salivate with the sound of the bell even if there was no treat)

YOU CAN TRICK YOUR MIND AS WELL :)

Pick a day that you will be at home, at random times lie down as if you are going to sleep, set your alarm for up to 5 minutes (you're not actually supposed to fall asleep), when your alarm rings do what you would normally do (have a routine) ex. get up, pull on track pants, go to washroom, brush hair, drink a glass or water.... just be consistent. Repeat this several times throughout the day.

Now, I haven't actually tried this, I am curious as if it would actually work (may need to do it over two days), I have heard from several sources that it does so.... if anyone does Guinea pig this, post you're results :)

Joker_Girl
11-22-14, 08:06 PM
When i was in college, i tried to not schedule classes too early, and to make like 2 or 3 classes in a row. If i had classes at, say 9 am, 10 am, and 3 pm, i would go home after the first two and just not go back because screw that mess. But if i had more than a three hour block (in 50 minute intervals), i would become overwhelmed,

Ing3nium
11-23-14, 10:23 AM
Do you guys ever have trouble waking up for class? I have a terrible time waking up, like I have 4 alarm clocks and my cell phone. I'll wake up enough to turn off the alarm, but then I fall back asleep.

I can't break the cycle.

I struggle to wake up but procrastinate when I have woken up. I am extremely overwhelmed with the amount of packing, dressing, hygiene tasks to do. I always come into class late.

I have no motivation, sleepy, mental fatigue and really groggy. I have an energy drink next to me so that I can drink it to wake up.

Ing3nium
11-23-14, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the tip!

Did you ever have to ask your professor for help with getting through the class? I have one who is somewhat understanding but I can tell he gets frustrated. I have a really hard time asking for help because I am nervous of their reactions.

Right now I am only on Wellbutrin XL. My doctor says that it's a well rounded antidepressant that is supposed to help with both depression and ADHD. However, I only really notice a change in my mood. I've been on it for 2 weeks.

I actually just got diagnosed with both and my doctor is just trying me out on medications to see what works. If this doesn't help me with my ADHD symptoms, he is going to add on some form of stimulant.

Yeah, stimulant and an anti-depressant. You should come off anti-dmpressants as the effects build up. Stimulants don't have that kind of chemistry.

hatsuu
11-29-14, 07:26 AM
I just wanted to answer to the initial post. I also have HUGE trouble getting up on the morning. It's such a pain in the ***, I'm in my bed, I know that I must wake up, but I just don't manage to do it. It's like something is just not attracting enough, as if I didn't want to go to class which is completely false. I always feel that my brain is just ******* with me.
And then people call me a luzy **** for not getting up, as if it was that easy.

I tried to take my methylphenidate with the first alarm, but the problem is that sometime when it kicks in it makes me even more sleepy, and then I get this quiet rest... Wow.

But when I manage to get up, there are just 30 bad minutes before I feel a flow of uncontrolable energy going through me, then I need my meds. ;)

willow129
11-29-14, 10:24 AM
Haven't read the whole discussion but, it seems like most people are advocating louder alarms and such, and, having been in college in recent memory!! You really need to get more sleep. It SHOULD NOT be that difficult to wake up in the morning, your body is telling you you are NOT getting enough rest. It might be hard to change your sleep schedule but I definitely recommend going to bed earlier. The more sleep you get, the better your brain is able to learn, organize your day, and you will be more productive in general. Make sleep your number 1 priority. You will not regret it.

And also, sleep debt builds up, so even if last night you got 8 hours, if the night previous you got 2 hours, then you are still lacking in sleep by 6 HOURS. That's a lot. Or it can build up, 3 nights of only 6 hours of sleep means you are still lacking 6 hours. You are not going to feel rested until you get that extra 6 hours. That's if your body needs 8, which varies depending on the person.

Maybe keep a journal of how much sleep you're getting every night, so you can see your patterns.
I assure you that when you are getting enough, waking up on time is much less difficult. We are of a culture that really doesn't understand sleep but this is how your body works. Sleep is a biological need.

It sounds like you are working and going to school at the same time. It is so unfair that students have to do this. I wonder if there is a way for you to cut back on work. Or can you work a lot during the summers so you have money to maintain you through the school year?

The other thing is, I guess, as far as homework goes, you don't have to get straight As. Sometimes good enough is good enough. All you have to do is pass those classes...

Good luck to you!!

willow129
11-29-14, 10:29 AM
Sorry to double post but: The other benefit to sleep is better health.
I drove myself crazy not getting enough sleep in college because I really didn't understand what I was doing to myself, and the more I deprived myself, the less I saw the damage I was doing...but not coincidentally, I had to go to the emergency room for various illnesses at least once a semester, I even got shingles (badbadbad!). Not to mention the issues with anxiety I developed. If you've been getting sick a lot that's another sign your body needs more rest.

jopie90
12-13-14, 06:34 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys! Sorry I haven't replied in a while. I had some bad effects from my Wellbutrin and got really depressed and had a hard time doing anything. All I wanted to do was stay in bed and sleep. It was kinda funny cause I had the exact opposite reaction my Dr. Told me I was going to have. She said I would be in a better mood, have less stress, be more motivated, and have an easier time getting up and going in the morning.

I really struggled to finish this semester, so I decided that it would be a good idea to kinda take a semester off. Next semester I am going to take 6 credit hours and they are both online. To help get a schedule down, I am going to try working 7-4 shifts and go to bed around 10. Do you think that's a good idea? I figured my best best was to setup a cookie cutter schedule to build better habits with.

To help me wake up, I am also trying to use lights on timers to help mimic the sunrising.

I haven't gotten prescribed anything new yet because they wanted to wait till the other stuff left kinda got out of my system. But if there is anything you would guys my think would work well, I can suggest it to my Dr.

sarahsweets
12-13-14, 08:51 AM
I just read about this and have no idea if its good but there's an app called wakie where people wake up other people. Not like they get your phone nunber and chat you up but its a one minute max of a person calling you through the app. I'm doing a crappy job explaining it. Here's the article.http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/11/tech/mobile/wakie-alarm-stranger/

lucylove1990
12-18-14, 03:03 AM
I'm not in school now but yes. even if I was awake I would just blow school off half the time.