View Full Version : Placement at a year round school

04-12-05, 03:52 PM
My 7 year old son has ADHD. He is currently at a year round school but will lose his variance this year because of some minor behavior issues and because he requires too much of the teachers time. The principal has stated she will not renew his variance because her counselor's resources should only go to those zoned for her school.

We are zoned for a traditional school. I feel that the year round school is better for him because he is only out of school for 5 weeks during the summer rather than 3 months. Also, making friends is difficult for him and moving him to a new school will be hard on him. Plus, his sister will be on a traditional school year schedule next year (middle school) and having them on different schedules would be a good thing. Both would benefit from the individual time they would get from being off school at diferent times. My daughter is in counseling for depression and anger. Jealousy of her brother getting a lot of my attention is one of the main stressors for her.

My son's current principal says that he will not get a placement at her school because ADHD is not a serious enough disability to warrent a placement. I feel my reasons are valid and deserve consideration.

Anyone dealt with this issue? What should I do to help him get a placement?

Are there articles out there that address the difficulties ADHD kids have getting back into school after such a long summer break?

04-12-05, 09:06 PM
Does your son have a 504 plan or an IEP in place? If you have to place him in a traditional school, please check into having him in the summer school program.
Good Luck

04-13-05, 03:32 PM
No he has neither. He is slated for comprehensive testing within the next 45 school days. I believe an IEP is written after that. I am planning on requesting a 504 (whatever that is) but was told the principal will most likely not grant it if she is already giving me a hard time about the variance.

04-13-05, 09:11 PM
It's Federal Law 504..someone in this forum posted a great reply on what the difference between an 504 and IEP are and how they are alike. Can't who..any one remember it?
Since your son is already diagnoised as being adhd he would qualify for Individual Education Program under the disability of OHI (other health impaired). If you can try to get the IEP, a year around school could be added under service. Good Luck

04-14-05, 01:47 AM
Here's a link to info on all of the above:

Hope that helps.


04-14-05, 04:02 AM
Can you plz rewrite the question I don't understand.