View Full Version : Another dosage schedule question!

Hemley
11-13-14, 02:20 AM
Hi all,
Just interested to hear of anyone's experiences/thoughts on taking a large(ish) morning dose of dex (up to 10mg) and then doing more frequent smaller doses through out the day? So I'm thinking 2.5mg 3-4 hours after first dose and then 2.5mg every 1-1.5 hours after to get a more even coverage. Or would that mean it's building up in the system and could cause trouble? My psych didn't really answer my question on that one.....I'm finding that with standard 3xday dosing, the blinding headaches kick in around the 3-4 hour mark and the brain stops working. I'm still messing around with my dosing and it's really frustrating!!

Flory
11-13-14, 05:57 AM
i do something similar, im not very rigid with it though sometimes i have a 20 mg dose then two 10mg doses and a 5 in the evening, it depends on how my day is going but the one i never miss is my morning loading dose

This is my optimum coverage schedule:

15-20mg 8/9am
10-15 mg 11.30am
10mg 2pm
5mg 5/6pm

Fuzzy12
11-13-14, 06:18 AM
That's what I do.

1. 10mg

2. 30-45min later: 5mg

3. 2h later: 5mg

4. 2h later: 5mg

Yes, I think, it does build up in your body. I get the most benefit after my 3rd dose, I think. I get very little symptom relief with 10mg only and I've only tried taking 15mg a couple of times but found it a bit unpleasant. This way it works well for me with very few side effects.

One big side effect though is dehydration. I need to drink a lot more water now than I did previously and when I don't I get a very bad headache too. I'm not sure if that's causing your headache as well but it might be worth trying to drink more water.

Hemley
11-13-14, 06:30 AM
Thanks for sharing your experiences! Yes I do drink heaps of water-around 3 litres a day (not sure how much that is in US units) but always have a bottle on hand.

Fuzzy12
11-13-14, 06:39 AM
Thanks for sharing your experiences! Yes I do drink heaps of water-around 3 litres a day (not sure how much that is in US units) but always have a bottle on hand.

Wow, yes, 3l should be enough. :eek:

Do you get enough sleep and proper nutrition?

Initially, I was told to take my meds every 4h but I started crashing very badly after 3-4h (as in more side effects, symptoms worse than ever along with huge dips in my mood) so now I take them every 2h, which works much better for me.

Hemley
11-13-14, 07:34 AM
Yes, it is heaps but I've always drunk a lot of water! Nutrition is spot on, minimal processed, no sugar,veggo, gluten free etc. Sleep is a little off, but roughly 7 hours. Great to hear smaller dosing, more often works for you both, will give it a crack.

Jenn1202
11-13-14, 12:18 PM
morning: 5mg ir
4 hours later: 1.25 mg ir
2 hours later: 1.25 mg ir (as needed)

I drink lots of water too. I also eat a lot on this medication because it makes me hungry and I lose weight if I don't.

Hemley
11-13-14, 05:46 PM
Hey Jenn1202,
I noticed you have/had hyperthyroidism-how do you manage that with the meds? My (posssibly ignorant understanding) is that Dex shouldn't be taken with the condition. Also, how did it get diagnosed? I've been tested for it 3 times and my mum wants me to keep going back to get rechecked, because she thinks it may only need to be a little out to have effects. Mainly because I've always been thin and anxious, but she also insists I get checked for diabetes constantly because I drink a lot. I've been given the all clear for both though within the last year. Also, just starting on the new smaller doses more often today...