View Full Version : No More ADHD.

Drummergod35
04-12-05, 05:31 PM
I read this book recently and found it very interesting. I find Dr. Block to be extremely knowledable and informative concerning ADHD.
I highly recommend her book.

Her site: http://www.blockcenter.com/

I welcome your response and comments.

Thanks,

Tim<!--StartFragment -->

Tara
04-12-05, 11:48 PM
She is right up there with the Scientologists.

RhapsodyInBlue
04-12-05, 11:58 PM
<TABLE class=tborder id=post169762 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead>http://www.addforums.com/forums/images/statusicon/post_new.gif Today, 01:48 PM <!-- / status icon and date -->
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><!-- user info --><TABLE cellSpacing=6 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2>[/url]</TD><TD noWrap>[url="http://www.addforums.com/forums/member.php?u=11"]Tara (http://www.addforums.com/forums/member.php?u=11) http://www.addforums.com/forums/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_169762", true); ***********
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
</TD><TD width="100%"> </TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap>Join Date: Jun 2002

<!-- [START HACK='Awards/Medals/Cards by AnimeWebby' AUTHOR='AnimeWebby' VERSION='2.0' CHANGEID= 2 ] -->
<!-- [END HACK='Awards/Medals/Cards by AnimeWebby' AUTHOR='AnimeWebby' VERSION='2.0' CHANGEID= 2 ] -->
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- / user info --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1><!-- message, attachments, sig --><!-- message -->She is right up there with the Scientologists.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
Tara
What I am is what I am...
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I had a look at the link, and around her website, and cannot see where she is in any way linked to the truth about AD/HD. But when you say "she is right up there with the Scientologists", what are you referring to? :confused:

~Viktoria

exeter
04-13-05, 12:07 AM
I had a look at the link, and around her website, and cannot see where she is in any way linked to the truth about AD/HD. But when you say "she is right up there with the Scientologists", what are you referring to? :confused:

~Viktoria
Wow, there is some wierd formatting thing going on in this thread...

Anyway, I think what she meant was that Scientology is completely anti-psych med. I haven't read the book, but I looked at the site. It seems like Dr. Block is quite biased against psych meds, but everyone should read the site and make up his or her own mind. It seems to me that some of what she says makes sense, but none of it is going to make me stop taking my meds, anyway. :)

RhapsodyInBlue
04-13-05, 12:19 AM
<TABLE class=tborder id=post169770 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><TABLE cellSpacing=6 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2>http://www.addforums.com/forums/image.php?u=2898&dateline=1106082625 (http://www.addforums.com/forums/member.php?u=2898)</TD><TD noWrap>exeter (http://www.addforums.com/forums/member.php?u=2898) http://www.addforums.com/forums/images/statusicon/user_online.gif<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_169770", true); ***********
</TD><TD width="100%"> </TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap>Join Date: Sep 2004

<!-- [START HACK='Awards/Medals/Cards by AnimeWebby' AUTHOR='AnimeWebby' VERSION='2.0' CHANGEID= 2 ] -->
<!-- [END HACK='Awards/Medals/Cards by AnimeWebby' AUTHOR='AnimeWebby' VERSION='2.0' CHANGEID= 2 ] -->
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- / user info --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1><!-- message, attachments, sig --><!-- message -->Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by RhapsodyInBlue

~Viktoria
Wow, there is some wierd formatting thing going on in this thread...

Anyway, I think what she meant was that Scientology is completely anti-psych med. I haven't read the book, but I looked at the site. It seems like Dr. Block is quite biased against psych meds, but everyone should read the site and make up his or her own mind. It seems to me that some of what she says makes sense, but none of it is going to make me stop taking my meds, anyway. :)

Exeter, I agree that everyone should take a good look around. But her stance against meds is strong in the extreme. But, as you said, everyone can make up his/her mind. I shall continue with my coffee instake. ;)

~Viktoria

chain
04-13-05, 07:00 AM
Day 2:

"Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis."

Snicker... does that mean the ADDer has to eat their poop? No wonder people say they are cured! Maybe they have to sit on a digestive stool, would that eat a hole in your pants?

oh wait... here is what it is:
"A comprehensive stool analysis can help identify treatment for hidden problems in the gut such as yeast overgrowth, parasites and any bacteria that should not be in the gut. At the Block Center we have found that about 25% of the patients have parasites, about 50% have bacteria and about 90% have yeast overgrowth."

Is THAT why I am so gassy? Maybe she can cure that.... and de-worm me.

You can take my brain when you pry my cold dead dura matter from it!

Kimalimah
04-13-05, 07:18 AM
It seems like Dr. Block is quite biased against psych meds, but everyone should read the site and make up his or her own mind.
I think this is the best attitude to take. Living in Germany I have experienced an entirely different attitude towards holistic medicine and homeopathic medicine, and I think that in some cases these methods can be useful. Stool analysis is one tool for "evaluation" in all forms of medicine.

It can be frustrating when people clearly out of stubborness and ignorance refuse traditional medicine, but I don't have to listen to them. Each person is responsible for informing themselves about alternative medicine as opposed to traditional medicine. I sure wouldn't want to see us go back to the medical standards of even 100 years ago, though, and think that pooh-poohing traditional medicine is a bit of overkill.

Kim

Tara
04-14-05, 12:35 AM
Don't get me wrong I think Alternative medicine definetly has its place. I'm sure that many people with ADD are helped by treatments other than pharm med. I'm sure that Dr Block has helped some with her treatments for ADD but she is so anti-meds that it's scarey.

People like her take the mistakes the MDs made by prescribing way too much medication and use scare tactics to try to get people to stay away from medication all together. It's really sad that some children have died because doctors have prescribed lethal amount of stimulant medications to children. But it's not the medication itself it's the negligences of doctors and the ignorance of parents that caused the deaths.

exeter
04-14-05, 03:33 AM
"A comprehensive stool analysis can help identify treatment for hidden problems in the gut such as yeast overgrowth, parasites and any bacteria that should not be in the gut. At the Block Center we have found that about 25% of the patients have parasites, about 50% have bacteria and about 90% have yeast overgrowth."

Is THAT why I am so gassy? Maybe she can cure that.... and de-worm me.

Actuallly, I think this is part of the theory that there just might be something to. There are way too many books out there that claim that pretty much every medical ailment is a result of yeast overgrowth for it to be total bunk. Yeast eat sugar, after all, and most of us spend all day filling up on sugar and carbs that are rather high in "glycemic index."

Now, I don't think [i]Candida albens[i] causes quite as much disease as the authors of some of these books do, but I'd be it does cause some. In any case, treating chronic yeast infection (which is really what it is, an infection) probably doesn't hurt.

What Kimalimah says about traditional medicine has a bit of truth to it, too. Isn't it just about every day that there's some news announcement of a chemical or chemicals in some herb or another that's useful for something? Think EGCG and green tea, f'rinstance. The stuff kills cancer. Green tea! Kills cancer! Who'da thought? Traditional medical practitioners and millions of Asians who drink the stuff all the time, that's who. Also, remember the old saying about fish being "brain food"? Well, fish are full of omega3 fatty acids. Human brains are roughly 60% fat.

This is why it's important to study things like traditional cures using modern science and statistical methods.

QueensU_girl
12-25-05, 03:08 AM
She is not an MD. She is an OD, or DO, or whatever.

I **knew** she was not an MD when I read about stuff like stool analysis. Concentional medicine only uses stool analysis to examine for things like parasites and occult blood (bowel cancer).

Much like Mexican Clinics who defraud End-Stage [dying] cancer patients with false claims about the Laetrile*, etc. -- I am always sickened to see parasites like this Author -- who are ready to milk the life savings from those whom modern medicine cannot help.

Emma
:S

*a fake cancer "cure all" medicine

mctavish23
12-26-05, 02:27 AM
[some are] so biased against ADHD, as to be delusional.

solitary bee
12-26-05, 09:26 PM
it's too bad that these sorts of health care providers use so much hyperbole. i'd gotten to the point where i honestly just didn't believe any of it. however, recently it became apparent that my daughter has gluten intolerance. so since i believe in solidarity, i eliminated gluten from our household entirely. what's the point of bringing home a nice baguette? it's kind of sadistic.

recently i've had to start using Celebrex again for my arthritis. usually i can only use it for a few days before it causes a stomach upset and then solid dull pain. sometimes i'll take Prevacid with it but even that doesn't always help so i'm not able to take the medication for a prolonged period of time. this time i've been on it daily for over 5 weeks, which is about 4 weeks longer than i've ever been able to tolerate it at a stretch and so far i've been fine. i've even been drinking some red wine over the holidays and that hasn't provoked a propensity for stomach acidity problems. it's possible that even though i don't have as serious a problem as my daughter, probably my ability to digest wheat products isn't all that great. probably in the genes.

perhaps many people have underlying digestive problems that manifest as conditions that are treated by drugs but not dealt with? like i said it's too bad about the hyperbole and that so many of the people who seek treatment from holistic practitioners appear to be neurotic and self absorbed. we'd all be less likely to reject their ideas so reflexively otherwise.

barbyma
12-27-05, 01:19 AM
like i said it's too bad about the hyperbole and that so many of the people who seek treatment from holistic practitioners appear to be neurotic and self absorbed. we'd all be less likely to reject their ideas so reflexively otherwise.
I don't reject the ideas of "holistic practitioners" because people who seek treatment from them appear neurotic or self absorbed.

I reject their ideas because they have been repeatedly tested, yet continue to fail to produce. I reject them because they are a part of an industry that is unregulated and allowed to do and say almost anything they want and prey on innocent consumers. In my opinion, they are modern-day snake oil salesmen.

Regarding gluten-intolerance, I don't think there's any reason to believe a "holistic" practitioner is better qualified to diagnose such problems than an MD.

solitary bee
12-27-05, 08:15 AM
yes there are snake oil salesmen. however, given the recent uproars in the official medical establishment and the multinational drug companies, perhaps no one is exempt. seems the rush to earn profits is universal?

as to the gluten intolerance, this was suggested a couple of years ago by a traditional chinese medicine practitioner. i don't know how to categorize this group. i didn't take it seriously at the time but it became clearly correct. perhaps it was the lack of specificity in the way the suggestion was made. chinese medicine with its too much heat, cold, liver, spleen etc etc. stuff is just so different from how western medicine is communicated or not communicated.

mctavish23
12-27-05, 11:16 AM
This whole thread is completley irrational with respect to the diagnosis and treatment of ADHD (meaning there's no research on planet earth to support this stupid bull****).:)

I will say,however, that it did help spawn the "No Scientific Basis: Here's the Proof," thread, so that's at least constructive.

barbyma
12-27-05, 12:36 PM
This whole thread is completley irrational with respect to the diagnosis and treatment of ADHD (meaning there's no research on planet earth to support this stupid bull****).:)

Oh, Robert. I'm SO looking forward to the day when you go out on a limb and say that it's irrational with respect to knowledge in general!!!:)

mctavish23
12-27-05, 06:41 PM
Barb,

I went head to head with the person who initiated this thread.

No matter what research I presented, he responded by re-posting what I'd just said.

Never once did he read anything I posted.

Then he'd raise another question without repsonding to any of my points.

( Every damn bit of this is already documented, so I'm not saying anything that isn't in black and white somewhere in the Forum).

The bottom line is that this wasn't a rational conversation;meaning it didn't matter what I posted, people like this won't read it.

That way they're never wrong or never have to admit they've been mistaken.

As you can tell, I still feel very strongly about this. I'm definately not smiling here while I type this.

There are many people who come into the Forum that like to cause trouble, for whatever reasons. Most of it is no big deal.

However, there is a very small select subgroup who, in my opinion, really have malicious intentions.

I'm not trying to "flame" here. To me, it's either accurate or it isn't.

I believe there's a difference in recapping something as it went down, versus embellishing something to twist a point.

I personally and professionally have no use for anyone or any group that deliberately distorts the truth about ADHD in order to further their own agenda's.

My comments have nothing to do with knowledge in general.

barbyma
12-27-05, 06:53 PM
I went head to head with the person who initiated this thread.

Yeah, I read all of that. It was.... um.... entertaining! :D

Then he'd raise another question without repsonding to any of my points.

Pretty common tactic, I've found.

My comments have nothing to do with knowledge in general.
Oh, I know. You're very careful about qualifying all your statements. But, I suspect you are full of knowledge about other things and I think it'd be fun to hear them! But, I understand and I'm not going to hold my breath!

:D

Squirrel
12-28-05, 09:45 AM
Sounds dodgy to me. Interestingly, the absence of parasites in the human body has been linked to an increase in allergies and asthma (I happen to have both). I can't dig up any sources right now, since Lexis-Nexis has been giving me an error message everytime I've tried to run a search.
So much for parasites being strictly harmful. With them being on the decline, surely we should see less ADD over time and it shouldn't persist throughout someone's whole life, if they were a cause.

mctavish23
12-28-05, 02:40 PM
The only parasites are the people that try and say that ADHD isn't real.

They clearly need stool samples taken for they are definately FOS.

I wouldn't doubt if they also have bugs up their asses either.

Seriously, people who are too prejudiced to read about the most widely researched childhood disorder on earth and then attempt to pontificate about it as though it didn't exist, are beyond my contempt.

Squirrel
12-28-05, 03:54 PM
I initially didn't even bother to look at the site. When I took a brief glance, I noticed the total lack of references.

I just typed this woman's name into google. Funny I should find it on a site connected to Scientology, where the book mentioned at the beginning of this thread is suggested as recommended reading, eh?

barbyma
12-28-05, 04:58 PM
They clearly need stool samples taken for they are definately FOS.

I wouldn't doubt if they also have bugs up their asses either.

:D rotfl

mctavish23
12-28-05, 07:04 PM
I'm probably one of the last people you (figuratively speaking) want to debate the existence of ADHD with.:)