View Full Version : Adhd and Alcohol

fishnforfive
11-15-14, 02:12 AM
Who else feels like a normal person when they drink?? Its like my mind changes gears after a few and the constant thinking about a thousand things gos away My brain clears out and can think of solutions for issues that cloud my brain when sober. My mind goes a million miles a minute when sober. HYPERFOCUS is my favorite word now that i read some things on adhd I was diagnosed in 5th grade was put on ridalin for a week never took another adhd drug after that. Skated my way thru school found a job i loved and hyper focused on it a little too much. im sober now gonna go chase a few squirrels

RobboW
11-15-14, 09:17 AM
I do get sick of the overly busy nature of my mind and enjoy a couple of drinks to slow it down. It really does get me in a slower gear. I never thought about why I like a drink until recently and it was a bit of a weird moment to realise why.
I came to this realisation when an ADD friend and I were talking about it.

Little Missy
11-15-14, 09:27 AM
Alcohol has never been my forte.

stef
11-15-14, 11:14 AM
Makes me chatty! I love to have a couple of drinks before dinner on the weekends.

Ananas
11-15-14, 11:18 AM
Alcohol is supposed to be a depressant but I get motivation from it. Weird.

daveddd
11-15-14, 02:50 PM
Alcohol is supposed to be a depressant but I get motivation from it. Weird.

its not that weird

most people go out to drink , hang out with friends, be social and party

don't know too many that drink to get depressed

daveddd
11-15-14, 02:52 PM
helps me to be social, not so much with motivation

LordranBound
11-15-14, 04:48 PM
Oh yeah, it definitely helps me, but only while I'm buzzing. Afterwards I feel worse and if I get drunk, I'm even worse. Drinking tempers a lot of your inhibitions so I think for me it calms some of my anxiety and self-criticizing.

TXJK14
11-15-14, 05:09 PM
On a normal day alcohol completely removes my brain filter and I'll say just about anything.

On a day where I need to write something or I have a story idea in my head if I have alcohol (something other then beer) my mind just flows and the words come out. That usually last about an hour and after that my mind goes to mush. I haven't quite learned how to adjust the flow of alcohol to the prolong the time span to write more then an hour.

Maurice
11-15-14, 10:10 PM
Are the people that say that alcohol helps them think more clearly, etc.,
not taking meds for their ADD?

fracturedstory
11-15-14, 10:23 PM
The opposite happens to me. After two drinks I might be calmer, feel like I have zero anxiety, am chatty etc. If I keep drinking I can start to get crazy ideas, hyper sexual feelings and be even more impulsive.

Pilgrim
11-16-14, 03:34 AM
Ive noticed that I don't want to drink much if I've had my ADD med. I went through stages in the past where I wanted to drink more than I should. Funny thing is I would drink more but I have the will power to stop.

fracturedstory
11-16-14, 05:36 AM
Ive noticed that I don't want to drink much if I've had my ADD med. I went through stages in the past where I wanted to drink more than I should. Funny thing is I would drink more but I have the will power to stop.

Yeah. That's happened to me.

Although, sometimes when I'd drink on meds I'd get drunker quickly.

RobboW
11-16-14, 08:36 AM
Are the people that say that alcohol helps them think more clearly, etc.,
not taking meds for their ADD?

Correct in my case, no meds, but I wouldn't say I think "clearer", just that it slows my mind down and that is like a rest. I do find that the mellow feeling can be broken by negative interaction with others and then it's even worse than when not affected. It's no answer at all and I'm not advocating doing it. Just saying I enjoy that minor buzz and relaxation as long as the situation is right for it.