View Full Version : Just can't make myself do work.

silverstar1178
11-16-14, 01:26 PM
I have two major papers due friday I haven't even started. I know i really have to do them but I just can't make myself get started. It always seems like the harder i try the harder is to focus on anything. then i get stressed and it becomes even more hopeless. I just wish for once i could sit down and do work when i needed to. :(

Crosswired
11-16-14, 02:01 PM
That's how I was my entire time in school and college. I was undiagnosed the whole time so I struggled mightily. The more daunting the task, the more I avoid it. Usually, I could only get started about 24 hours before the deadline. I need the pressure and consequences to get me moving and focused. The fear of flunking out of college then drove me to hyperfocus for 24 hours no sleep.

The procrastination, however, always resulted in mediocre work that was far below what I am capable of.

Wakethenight
11-17-14, 08:22 PM
I had the same issue in college. I was diagnosed at the time. I also could only get working on a paper the night before it was do.

Pilgrim
11-17-14, 11:06 PM
I was like this before. Does anybody get this while on meds?

wwww789
11-18-14, 10:52 AM
I was always like this in school and while I was at college, I regularly did all nighters the day before I had to hand them in. Sometimes I wouldn't manage to do even that, and had to beg the teacher for more time. When I actually managed to write the essays, I had a tendency to get top marks (being quite good at writing essays) but I still put myself at a huge disadvantage by not doing it sooner. I rarely got much leeway in school (despite getting extra time for exams, something I found a lot easier to finish), they didn't seem to understand why I couldn't get around to doing the essays in the time they gave me.

If you're going to go down the same all nighter route as me, I would recommend at least getting a few paragraphs done now, so you wont have quite as much work to do later on. I always used to cope by drinking lots of coffee, and rewarded myself by eating one biscuit for every paragraph I finished.

Ing3nium
11-23-14, 10:34 AM
and rewarded myself by eating one biscuit for every paragraph I finished.

Ok doggy :D

I've always struggled to start a task, and also to move away from a tasks. Our brain is like a magnet, which sticks to whatever it feels like, and its difficult to pull of a magnet without the force required.

michaelaisabell
11-23-14, 12:04 PM
I have this problem currently. I out everything off till the last minute then half butt it.
Let's see on Thurs I read my bio book then waited till 3 hours before my assignment was due last night to start my virtual lab. ( I didn't really do the lab) I just clicked through it and skimmed and answered the questions it it ( which I can change with penalty if I get them wrong) then I took the quiz and got a 7/10.
Today I have another quiz and an exam. Havnt even gotten out of bed though.

ahmeda
11-24-14, 05:03 AM
Hi. Well, I am currently almost sleeping in front of the lap-top...At the moment, I donīt have pending work tasks. I am in sales, so basically the right thing to do is start call to customers and agree sales calls...But since nobody is demanding...The thing is: I do my work staff very very fast, when there is something to do. But when there isnīt an absolute necessity to do something, it is left undone.

I was diagnosed ADD a few years ago (at the ripe age of 35). I have succeeded in my studies (primus in high-school and university) and even have a mastersī degree.

But I have had a lot of issues when entering into job world. I was first diagnosed SAD in 2004, and just two years ago ADD: the same doctor started to suspect, since I have been treated a lot with SSRIs etc. and I still have issues. I have spent quite many hours in my work career in company toilets sleeping...The funny thing is, nobody would believe it. I have managed quite well and even get a promotion in my previous job.

At the moment, I take only Sertraline (25mg/day) for my SAD. I will try Strattera on Christmas: stimulants gave me "peace into mind" but worsened eventually my anxiety.

Carol
12-18-14, 09:49 AM
I was exactly the same way. What I did was sit down and bang out a quick-and-dirty first draft. I did not write the introduction or closing, that would come last. I just tried to get my main points down in a somewhat logical order. I ignored spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors. Then i set it aside for awhile and let my unconscious process it. When I returned, I had something tangible to work with and a general idea of where to go with it.

Fuzzy12
12-18-14, 10:46 AM
For me, the most difficult bit is always starting. So start with anything as Carol said. It could involve writing the index (i.e. main headings of your paper), or making bullet notes of salient points, or making bullet points of any points really that come to mind, gathering information, etc. It could also involve just making a list of things you need to do to complete the paper. For me making a plan (including a time line), always helps. Just start and start with something easy.

A word of caution though. Another problem I have is that I often get stuck at this initial point, for example, I could spend all my time just gathering information. So I'd recommend setting a time limit. Start with doing research or a literature review but tell yourself that you won't spend longer than 1-2h (or whatever is appropriate for it) on this particular task.