View Full Version : Adhd and Sustance abuse

bdad80
11-16-14, 05:14 PM
Can someone be treated properly for adhd and be in recovery for sustance abuse. I'm currently taking strateria which has made impressive gains with my depression not so much with the adhd. What other avenues can I exhaust without stims( which I afraid to try as of now) Thanks

michaelaisabell
11-16-14, 07:47 PM
If you are afraid of say adderall or methylphenidate for it's abuse protential you can use an extended release med which has less abuse risk.
Or vayvase ( however it's spelled) is a prodrug which means it has to be processed through the liver before it works so there's virtually no potential for abuse. There is also a patch of methylphenidate.

bdad80
11-17-14, 07:54 AM
If you are afraid of say adderall or methylphenidate for it's abuse protential you can use an extended release med which has less abuse risk.
Or vayvase ( however it's spelled) is a prodrug which means it has to be processed through the liver before it works so there's virtually no potential for abuse. There is also a patch of methylphenidate.

I've also read that Wellbutron could be an option, but upon farther reasearch it appear to potentiate strateria.

sarahsweets
11-17-14, 01:48 PM
I'm an alcoholic in recovery and I take adderall. I keep a very strict regimen with my meds.

Laserbeak
11-17-14, 05:35 PM
I think it kind of depends on what type of theory your rehab center works on. If it is strict Alcoholics Anonymous, they really try to eliminate all addictive drugs (with the possible exception of tobacco) from your life. They even go as far as to try to have you avoid narcotic painkillers after major surgery.

Some of the more modern ones are more forgiving and allow for psychoactive prescription medication.