View Full Version : Dermotophagia worse on Adderall

bethica7
11-17-14, 07:34 PM
So I've had dermotophagia my entire life (that I can remember). It gets worse or more manageable depending on stress and anxiety levels. When I went off of Lithium and was completely unmedicated, I noticed my thumbs looked the smoothest they ever had in my life. No bleeding, no open cuts, only mild discoloration from years of biting and ripping off the skin.

I started Adderall, and suddenly it's the worst it's ever been. I'm constantly bleeding, I've moved to attack all my fingers, not just my thumbs, and my thumbs are so bad that the skin is gone all the way around to the pads. I can't stop picking and biting. I've always done it subconsciously, but this is ridiculous. The weirdest part is I feel no stress or anxiety whatsoever.

Anyone else have weird ticks or bad habits worsen while taking Adderall?

dvdnvwls
11-17-14, 07:42 PM
Anyone else have weird ticks or bad habits worsen while taking Adderall?
Tics being made worse is a well-known side effect of all the stimulant medications. You should go back to your doctor and report what's going on. You may need to switch to a different med, or have your dosage adjusted. Every medication, even the different stimulants, will act differently on you, so don't despair; maybe Vyvanse, Dexedrine, Ritalin, or others might work better for you.

bethica7
11-18-14, 12:33 AM
Tics being made worse is a well-known side effect of all the stimulant medications. You should go back to your doctor and report what's going on. You may need to switch to a different med, or have your dosage adjusted. Every medication, even the different stimulants, will act differently on you, so don't despair; maybe Vyvanse, Dexedrine, Ritalin, or others might work better for you.

Yeah, I'm on a pretty low dose of Adderall (20mg XR), but I was thinking of switching to IR because my sleep schedule has been pretty messed up with the XR. unfortunately for me, vyvanse is completely out of the question, and Ritalin never worked for me either.

I will talk to my psych (as soon as she's back from having her baby :/ ) about my options. It sucks because I finally got rid of all the negative side effects I was having..except this one.

Pilgrim
11-18-14, 10:28 AM
What's Dermotophagia?

dvdnvwls
11-18-14, 03:32 PM
What's Dermotophagia?

Dermatophagia (for spelling) is eating/chewing of skin.

bethica7
11-19-14, 01:33 PM
Dermatophagia (for spelling) is eating/chewing of skin.

I didn't even notice my iPhone autocorrected that. Thanks for the correction. But yes, it's the compulsive eating and/or chewing of skin, also known as "wolf biters" or "dermatillomania. It is sometimes thought to be of the same root causes/"family" as trichotillomania.

I did some research and apparently "mindfulness" meditation helps??