View Full Version : Dexedrine doesn't always work

Jenn1202
11-19-14, 12:06 AM
Some days, I feel like Dexedrine works well and I can focus on my work. Other days, Dexedrine does very little for me and I really struggle to get started and stay focused.

Does anyone else feel this way? What do you do when Dexedrine doesn't work?

Pilgrim
11-19-14, 12:49 AM
I have this issue. I try to eat well and sleep. But I can't figure it out. Maybe fish oil.

HADDaball
11-21-14, 03:23 PM
Yeah. Some days are better than others.

dag nab it
11-24-14, 01:31 AM
Some days are much better than others. Why? I suppose a myriad of reasons -

What you ate and timing. Was your stomach empty? Did you drink enough water? These factors affect the rate of gastric emptying. There is something called "stomach sweeping" or "housekeeping" that happens on its own time schedule and not necessarily right after you take your dose. If Dex sits too long in your stomach it tends to become less effective. Conversely, if it moves quickly into your intestines, it is more effective.

Then there is your mood. On a sunny days do you get better results?

Timing of doses during the day can also make a difference. For example, you might have taken the medication earlier one day, and had a better or worse result.

Trial and experience.

Jenn1202
11-24-14, 04:46 AM
Thank you all for your responses.

dag nab it, I'm going to try to pay attention to these things. I think getting lots of sleep helps to some degree. I always take Dexedrine with food, because I absolutely have to for medical reasons (If I don't, it could really irritate my stomach and cause really bad side effects). Is there some way to take it with food and still get it to be effective?

dag nab it
11-24-14, 11:50 AM
I always take Dexedrine with food, because I absolutely have to for medical reasons (If I don't, it could really irritate my stomach and cause really bad side effects). Is there some way to take it with food and still get it to be effective?

Hmm. I see you have other conditions. You might be better off with the spansules. They are capsules and release part of the medication immediately, and part later. They don't work the same like IR, and you may find you need a higher strength dose. They are not extremely expensive, so your insurance might cover them.

Meanwhile, with the regular IR Dex, there are a couple simple things you can try. Keep your meals LIGHT - the less food you eat, the more quickly it leaves your stomach. DRINK plenty of water or fluids with your meal.

There are also some more complicated things to try. Dex tends to disintegrate in acid. Perhaps if you took calcium (antacid) with your Dex, that might help. You might try seeing whether results are different if you take your Dex right at the beginning of the meal - or conversely, shortly after the meal.

Acidic foods taken at the same time as Dex might also lessen effectiveness. Here's where it gets tricky. Some acidic foods are actually good - because they alkalinize urine. The more alkaline your urine is (and the less acidic), the longer Dex will last. Thus, you should eat urine-alkalinizing foods. However, perhaps you should not eat urine-alkalinizing, but acidic, foods (such as lemons) at the meal during which you take your medication. :confused: You can postpone eating those foods for 45 minutes after your medication. Yes, it sounds a bit complicated :lol:. But if you are still having issues with variability of effectiveness, doing research about urine-alkalinizing foods could be fruitful!