View Full Version : Any ADHD-C Impulsive/Inattentives?

Mishka
11-19-14, 01:38 AM
I'm 45 and was diagnosed ADHD-C in my mid twenties. Originally sought treatment for inattentive symptoms-when not medicated my brain feels like there's 20 unrelated things just whirling around, can't read more than a few sentences especially with any noise in the background, etc.

However, I came to find after many years that it was the hyperactive/impulsive symptoms that had caused the most problems in my life. I'm extremely verbally impulsive, emotionally impulsive, always on edge and impatient. My life was a string of insanity from the sexual promiscuity to running away at 17, illegal drugs, homelessness, and other things I don't feel comfortable writing. I've never left a job in good standing and usually would just get ****** over and quit on the spot.

It seems like the impulsive symptoms are still the hardest to control even with medication they occasionally sneak out.

I guess I just kind of feel like an oddball even here and wondered if anyone else had similar experiences.

Little Missy
11-19-14, 08:38 AM
Oh God, yes! Join the party. I have to work on myself every single day.:)

daveddd
11-19-14, 08:41 AM
I'm 45 and was diagnosed ADHD-C in my mid twenties. Originally sought treatment for inattentive symptoms-when not medicated my brain feels like there's 20 unrelated things just whirling around, can't read more than a few sentences especially with any noise in the background, etc.

However, I came to find after many years that it was the hyperactive/impulsive symptoms that had caused the most problems in my life. I'm extremely verbally impulsive, emotionally impulsive, always on edge and impatient. My life was a string of insanity from the sexual promiscuity to running away at 17, illegal drugs, homelessness, and other things I don't feel comfortable writing. I've never left a job in good standing and usually would just get ****** over and quit on the spot.

It seems like the impulsive symptoms are still the hardest to control even with medication they occasionally sneak out.

I guess I just kind of feel like an oddball even here and wondered if anyone else had similar experiences.

sounds like good old fashion classic adhd

we don't have our own subforum , but i believe you are in the majority

Wowwowwow
11-19-14, 06:57 PM
Definitely can relate....

Flory
11-19-14, 09:14 PM
I'm ADHD c, like Dave said we don't have a subforum here and for whatever reason it would seem there are more ADHD I here than c

I can assure you that in gen population though we are in the majority as far as diagnosed goes

Also of note I believe is that they are doing away with subtypes at some stage

TygerSan
11-19-14, 09:47 PM
It's my general understanding that almost everyone is ADHD-C, there are very few actual ADHD-H, and most ADHD-I have at least some impulsive characteristics (I have wicked fast reaction times, for example, and am internally restless).

I think the general consensus is that symptoms evolve with age, and that the subtypes are all pretty artificial (with the potential exception of SCT, or slow cognitive tempo, which may be a different entity altogether).

daveddd
11-20-14, 11:43 AM
It's my general understanding that almost everyone is ADHD-C, there are very few actual ADHD-H, and most ADHD-I have at least some impulsive characteristics (I have wicked fast reaction times, for example, and am internally restless).

I think the general consensus is that symptoms evolve with age, and that the subtypes are all pretty artificial (with the potential exception of SCT, or slow cognitive tempo, which may be a different entity altogether).

yea this, most ADHD Is always talk about their impulsiveness:scratch:

Lunacie
11-20-14, 12:27 PM

Very unusual for a girl/woman to have been diagnosed in the late 80's or early 90's.

We had a hard time getting my granddaughter diagnosed in 2008.

The bolded sentence totally describes me. It was likely the comorbid anxiety
and depression that kept me from doing the impulsive things you've done.

I've certainly left a job or two because I thought I was being treated unfairly.

Mishka
11-20-14, 03:14 PM
When I was growing up I know ADHD was just considered that one 'bad' boy that wont sit down or do his work. This was back in the 70's & 80's.

I remember my first year of high school they gave me an IQ test to see if I was just 'too dumb' to do my work. When my IQ came back high their conclusion was that I was just being lazy and didn't want to do it. That's where it ended.

MrsNewton
11-24-14, 08:09 AM
*Raises hand* Meeeeee!

I always thought I just had no will power, or I was just rude or clueless.

Constantly interrupting people, jumping into conversations, (I never realize I've done it until later, when I start to feel guilty/ashamed), financially impulsive, shopaholic just to name a few of my larger issues.

I still struggle with it, but being medicated has helped tremendously.

Free_Spirit
12-21-14, 10:19 PM
You just described my life. LOL

michaelaisabell
12-21-14, 11:25 PM
I think most of us are the combined type.
I think as children girls with adhd often present differently in our hyperactive / impulsive aspects.

For girls I think it is more of an internal restlessness, we fidget with out hair, hands, face, etc. And are impulsive in our relationships.

Canadian Mess
01-10-15, 11:16 PM
I'm here to raise my hand and say "yep, I'm a member of the girls' combined ADHD group" and have a classic ADHD history with it. Luckily I was diagnosed in the middle of university before I committed suicide, and got the help I needed.

Unfortunately, it wasn't caught sooner because my parents were convinced I was just "going through a phase as a tomboy or a rebellious teenager" even though I was that way since birth. When my brother was born my parents thought something was wrong with HIM since he wasn't bouncing off the walls, wasn't talkative, hyper and constantly hungry and irritable, [insert all ADHD symptoms here] etc.

Lauralight
03-08-15, 02:14 PM
Yes, I have felt so alone with this sort of issue. My therapist doesn't seem to understand how my ADHD/ADD is affecting my life or my impulsiveness. I tend to find crappy housing environments and then just flee over and over again very fast.
Impulsiveness is part of this big-time. My life appears crazy flightly, even though I'm prepping to apply for grad school at the very same time.

agentmargo
08-31-15, 04:00 PM
Oh, Lord have mercy, YES!!! I'm combined type, and there seems to be some ridiculous stereotype that women with ADHD are simply inattentive and forgetful. We are, but many of us also have lots of energy, talk a lot, blurt things out, fidget constantly, etc. NOT ALL ADHD WOMEN ARE QUIET WITH THEIR HEADS IN THE CLOUDS!
^case in point

Flory
08-31-15, 05:30 PM
Oh, Lord have mercy, YES!!! I'm combined type, and there seems to be some ridiculous stereotype that women with ADHD are simply inattentive and forgetful. We are, but many of us also have lots of energy, talk a lot, blurt things out, fidget constantly, etc. NOT ALL ADHD WOMEN ARE QUIET WITH THEIR HEADS IN THE CLOUDS!
^case in point

Lol welcome to the forum margo

I'm definitely not a head in the clouds....well I am but I'm screaming in the clouds and tap dancing there...I don't do quiet ;)

agentmargo
09-01-15, 02:15 PM
"I'm definitely not a head in the clouds....well I am but I'm screaming in the clouds and tap dancing there...I don't do quiet"
^LOVE. IT. I'm the same way!!