View Full Version : Is anybody else like this?

Akakias19
11-20-14, 07:42 AM
I have ADD and an as of yet diagnosed pain disorder in my left leg. I take Concerta and Tylenol 1 for these two. I see threads about people getting addicted to their ADD/ADHD medication and pain meds. At the very least people get some kind of up. I don't have this, My Concerta helps but I'm not really any different. Aside from not feeling like I've been stabbed my Tylenol 1 does not change me at all. Is anyone else like this? I can understand addiction, I don't go "oh well it does not happen to me so how can it happen?" but I'm on the other end in pretty much nothing being able to even dent my phyce. Hopefully the others on here can provide some feedback so I can determine whether I'm alone in this or not.

Akakias19
11-20-14, 08:28 AM
I made an error, I meant to say Undiagnosed.

Raye
11-20-14, 10:03 AM
How long have you been on
both meds?

silivrentoliel
11-20-14, 10:06 AM
I have an addictive personality... a lot of people do... but my addictions have nothing to do with my meds... I'm more addicted to lip gloss than anything (yes, I'm serious)

You are one of the lucky ones, I'd say, that doesn't have to deal with that feeling of addiction towards your meds

Musical Dreamer
11-20-14, 02:52 PM
I can get addicted to a lot of things if my brain responds the right way. Sugar is my number one offender, at the moment. I really can't get enough of it, to the point of physical discomfort. From what I've read, addiction to stimulant medication is most likely in the case of abuse. If you take your medication as prescribed, it's hard to get addicted to it. Unfortunately, a lot of doctors don't agree. My first psychiatrist wouldn't give me stims because of my history of drug use. I spent almost a year suffering on wellbutrin (it was making me crazy) before I found the right medication. Not once have I felt compelled to use it in a way that would be considered abuse.
As for pain meds, I avoid opiates because I know how much I love the way they make me feel. It all depends on the individual, though. If your motivation is to alleviate pain and not altering your brain chemistry, then it's not a problem.

Akakias19
11-20-14, 04:58 PM
I've been on 104 MG of Concerta since early June when My Doctor switched me from 90 MG of Vyvanse that I had been taking since 2012 starting at 30 MG. My doctor changed my pain medication across a year, it get's worse in the winter and fall and better in the spring and summer so I've been on Tylenol 1 2 and 3 since may. As winter starts to set in my doctor will switch me to 40 Mg Oxycodone twice daily from the 2 Tylenol 3 every 6 hours I'm switching onto now.

sarahsweets
11-26-14, 05:48 AM
I totally get chronic pain but from experience trying other ways to deal with pain to supplement the pain meds or even reduce them offered me the best quality of life. Things like physical therapy mild exercise have really helped. Even a light walk in the sunshine can do wonders.

Fuzzy12
11-26-14, 06:47 AM
I think, there are many people who can take their meds at therapeutic doses and not get addicted. Some do and some others confuse addiction with dependency but I'm sure that not everyone is addicted.

I don't get a high either and I don't feel as if they change me. I do have a bit of an addictive personality but I don't crave more stimulants.

Anyway, I guess, it really depends on the individual and their situation but if you don't have an issue with meds it's a good thing. Addiction is always a possibility though with anything and it's also a good thing to be aware of that and look out for it.