View Full Version : Is having adhd a deficit?

BrainFreeze
11-20-14, 08:02 AM
Reading all the posts - having ADHD appears to be a deficit in THIS society/world. What sort of society would someone with ADHD be able to adapt and instead of learning ways to be an acceptable contributor to their community, that person could just....be....

What would that look like?

Akakias19
11-20-14, 08:12 AM
Whether it is a deficit depends on the person. Every person is slightly different in the way their ADHD effects them. Mine effects my attention but not by much, I just need to get up and walk around for a bit every hour or so. But my thought patterns are effected I draw connections and solve problems differently and that makes me look of low intelligence in the way it's typically assessed when I'm not of low intelligence. Other people think normally aside from not being able to focus or having personality or anger problems. The world I would fit best in is one where intelligence is measured in a more accurate way as opposed to how our current education system works. For another person it would be more adapted to the ways they diverge from normality.

moth2flame
11-20-14, 08:27 AM
My guess is it would be somewhat advantageous in a nomadic hunter/gatherer society (which let's assume will be groups of people 100 or less); short attention span = development of sharper intuition, and so heightened ability to sense danger quickly / see beneath surface appearances. When constantly moving to new places, this would be a pretty valuable skill for the tribe... the problem of modern (eg agricultural and later) society is that we now have to stay in one place, to grow things and guard property. Humans are evolved to *move* (in many different ways), and stopping that motion seems to be what leads to many of our ills (lack of novelty/stimulus leads to boredom, lack of need to regularly shed unecessary posessions leads to hoarding, lack of exercise leads to obesity, etc). Just some late night / early morning thoughts...

daveddd
11-20-14, 09:25 AM
the specific deficit is still under debate

but if there is no deficit , there is no disorder

that doesn't mean there can't be an upside along with negatives

id make a terrible hunter , the only living thing i will kill is a fly or a mosquito and thats only after I've given them several chances to stop bothering me

my gathering skills are awful

catering an entire society to 5% of the population would be tough, but in society i believe there are ways for adhd people to excel, but only if its caught early

barkley thinks poetry and music, i think whatever our passion is

find the passion early, greatly limit the deficit

Dizfriz
11-20-14, 11:33 AM
Reading all the posts - having ADHD appears to be a deficit in THIS society/world. What sort of society would someone with ADHD be able to adapt and instead of learning ways to be an acceptable contributor to their community, that person could just....be....

What would that look like?
One way is to structure your environment to fit you.

For jobs, this may give you some ideas.....Career path for ADHD'ers
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72027

Dizfriz

Musical Dreamer
11-20-14, 12:58 PM
My utopia would be a bartering-based society where people can just focus on what they're good at and enjoy. School past elementary basics would be 100% elective classes and no one would be punished for not following a standard. As long as you get the point, right? Kids will learn that they can do what they want in life instead of being trained for the competition based grind for the best jobs that pay the most money. Art would be valued as necessary to escape the mundane.

BrainFreeze
11-20-14, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the great input. I'm just curious because my 5 year old is having a very tough time at his school and I can see how the teacher is trying to put a square peg into a round hole. But, that is because I understand him and his needs a whole lot more. I get that there are certain expectations that everyone has to live by in this society - but I was just being reflective to maybe be a better advocate for him when he goes mainstream next year.

Also, for me it is finding a workplace that is more tolerant. Hmmm...thanks for the link Dizfriz :)