View Full Version : Lebanese Beans and Rice {and Lamb)

Laserbeak
11-20-14, 02:48 PM
My grandmother was Lebanese, and she made this all the time. We usually just called it "beans and rice" but I'm sure that would confuse most people as it has a lot of lamb in it!

Ingredients:

2 lbs. lamb shoulder chops, cut in half along bone
1 - 1 1/2 lbs. haricots verts (green beans)
3/4 to 1 lbs. peeled and cut sliced onions
1 tsp. coarse salt
1 - 2 T. black pepper
1 - 2 T. cinnamon
1 - 2 T. allspice
3/4 cup lamb or veal stock
1 T. white flour
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 6 oz can tomato paste
butter or olive oil

Preparation:

Prepare meat, onions and green beans. Rub salt and pepper all over lamb.

Heat some fat in a frying pan or pressure cooker, fry onions with cinnamon and allspice until soft and browned. Set aside into a glass or other non-reactive bowl using a slotted spoon.

Add more fat, if necessary, and, working in batches if necessary, fry lamb pieces until well browned, turning often. adding fat (oil or butter) as necessary. Set aside browned lamb.

Put stock and flour into a small bowl or cup and mix thoroughly with a fork or small whisk until no lumps remain.

Place all ingredients into pressure cooker, saucepan or slow cooker as desired and cook until done. About 15 minutes after reaching pressure in a pressure cooker, 30 - 40 minutes in a wide saucepan, or several hours in a slow cooker.

Make sure beans are tender and meat is tender and cooked. Sauce should be thick. You may need to boil down sauce to make it thicker. Adjust seasoning to taste.

Serve with basmati rice, tabouli, salad, hummus, falafel, pita bread and butter or olive oil, or other Middle Eastern sides.

Desserts such as Baklava are great afterwards! Along with some coffee and sambuca or other liqueur top it off well.

You can also serve it with a red wine or anything else you want.

Let me know if you have any questions, I usually just make this off the top of my head with no recipe, so I may have left some step out but I don't think so.

stef
11-20-14, 03:36 PM
would it be possible to use another meat...?

Laserbeak
11-20-14, 05:35 PM
would it be possible to use another meat...?

You could try, what do you have in mind? I never really thought about it but you could probably just substitute beef or just make a few spice adjustments and make it with chicken.

Laserbeak
11-20-14, 05:45 PM
I should add that the beans should be washed in cold water and have their ends cut off then halved.

Mustang78
11-27-14, 02:28 AM
Sounds good. I might have to try that.

I cook middle eastern a lot so if you want a good Hummus recipe or something let me know and I'll post some stuff.