View Full Version : How to avoid talking to people while depressed?

wwww789
11-21-14, 09:52 AM
I'm really feeling the depression today (and conceivably for a while longer), and I don't think I can talk to anyone. The trouble is, they will almost certainly try and engage me in conversation, and I will likely either not care about the topic in my current state, or end up snapping at them. I don't want to be rude in my avoidance, but at the same time, I think I need to make it clear that I should be left alone at the moment.

Any advice?

Fuzzy12
11-21-14, 11:23 AM
If you can't avoid meeting them could you just tell them that you aren't feeling very well and are too I'll to engage in conversation? Alternatively try telling them that you feel you are coming down with the flu, so b the v fear of getting infected might make them keep their distance..irv warm them explicitly, as in.."i think I'm getting the flu, so I'm avoiding people so that I don't spread the virus.

Sorry you are feeling down. I hope you ll feel better soon.

midnightstar
11-21-14, 03:02 PM
:grouphug: hpoe you feel better soon, sometimes when you're depressed it actually can help to be around people only if they understand about depression though :grouphug:

wwww789
11-21-14, 06:41 PM
If you can't avoid meeting them could you just tell them that you aren't feeling very well and are too I'll to engage in conversation? Alternatively try telling them that you feel you are coming down with the flu, so b the v fear of getting infected might make them keep their distance..irv warm them explicitly, as in.."i think I'm getting the flu, so I'm avoiding people so that I don't spread the virus.

Thank you for the advice :) I might have a social thing to go to tomorrow, if I'm still really depressed at that point, I'll probably do as you say.

sometimes when you're depressed it actually can help to be around people only if they understand about depression though

Yeah, I think my trouble is that most people I know don't really understand it all too well, they seem to assume I'm just looking for attention, or being mopey for no good reason.

Sorry you are feeling down. I hope you ll feel better soon.

:grouphug: hpoe you feel better soon

Thank you both for caring :) I'm sure I'll feel better sooner rather than later.

OhLookABunny
12-02-14, 02:44 PM
Sometimes I use this little trick - pretend to be sleepy. Sometimes if we're depressed our facial expression can look grumpy which makes people feel defensive or resentful. I might even close my eyes and kind of smile (little tiny mysterious smile like the Mona Lisa) and say I'm "just resting my eyes" - and do it for as long as I can get away with. :giggle: It can deflect their need to "draw you out" when you really just need a mental health break.

Pilgrim
12-02-14, 06:20 PM
That's a good question.

psychopathetic
12-04-14, 08:40 PM
Take a sick day and then just lock yourself in your apartment/house for a day or 2. If you live with others, explain to them that you're not feeling well and need rest...then lock yourself into your room for a day.

Don't linger here too long though. I'm good at locking myself away from the world inside of my apartment...and though at first it's very healthy for me as it gives me the space and security I need to recover...it starts to become very unhealthy the longer I lock myself away. At a point it only adds on to my depression; makes things worse.