View Full Version : Do all adhders have divergent minds

acdc01
11-21-14, 09:08 PM
I remember AshT bring up divergent thinking once and it felt really right to me.

Like divergent fit me much better than "attention deficit" as I don't really feel I have too little attention.

The way my mind works is that I'm nearly always thinking about something else all the time (I think too much). And one thought leads to another loosely connected thought and that thought leads me to something else and so forth. More interested I am in a certain subject, the longer I can keep that one train of thought.

When I'm trying to figure out how to do something, I really do follow my ideas down until I see the outcome of applying that solution and then fully envision different scenarios to see which solution might be the most effective.

Do your minds work the same way mine does?

Do you think all ADHD minds (barring SCT who might be something else) work that way?

Here's a definition of divergent thinking if you don't know what that is. Note, I myself am not sure I'm using the term right. If not, please do tell me. Though understand I'm mainly wondering if all ADHD minds follow a similar thought process as mine.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-divergent-thinking.htm

EDIT: I should say, sometimes my divergent thinking leads to a big old mess of ideas. I wonder if some ADHDers get lost in that mess. Usually for me though, I can then pick out what's important from that mess, find patterns, and organize them into workable solutions. That's what convergent thinking is isn't it? If so, I guess I do that sometimes too but divergent thought always seems to be the first step for me.

dvdnvwls
11-22-14, 02:45 AM
My point of view:
Yes, I definitely think divergently
Yes, the name "attention deficit" is a mistake
No, "divergent thinking" is IMO not a better name because there's much more to it than that

stef
11-22-14, 05:21 AM
That's divergeant thinking?
Then 100% for me. I've resolved work problems while grocery shopping on Saturdays. this exactly how mind works and when I'm calm and in the right mood ( energy and not overwhelmed), I love this process.

sarek
11-22-14, 06:41 AM
I am most definitely a divergent thinker. I have developed a special branch of it in the form of multidisciplinary dot connecting. Over time this leads to an understanding or reality that can almost be likened to an emergent phenomenon.

I believe that divergent thinking requires one to use both hemispheres of the brain in unison.

Like acdc already said, its a combination of creatively creating a thought cloud and subsequently using logic to trim it down, almost as if you are tending a bonsai tree.

acdc01
11-22-14, 03:00 PM
Awesome! It's really nice realizing that others think like me. The way I think has always felt so different compared to almost everyone else around me.

If ADHD is linked to divergent thinking, then to me it's strong support that we are more creative by nature, not just nurture alone. Of course we are more likely to come up with out of the box ideas when our ideas cloud extends much further than most.

I do think sometimes we get lost in that cloud so useful, creative ideas don't surface. But when we are able to trim that Bonsai tree with logic as sarek puts it, then that's when we come up with "creative" ideas.

Don't quote me, but I think it's already established that divergent thinking is more associated with creativity than convergent thinking (though you can still come up with creative ideas with convergent thinking).

No, "divergent thinking" is IMO not a better name because there's much more to it than that

I agree. I didn't mean to imply I wanted us to be called divergent instead (although that does sound super cool).

We are not the only divergent thinkers and everyone thinks convergently/divergently sometimes (though we by nature lean stronger toward divergent thinking).

Actually, I've met two gifted NTs I'd label as divergent thinkers. The difference between me and them is mental processing speed. It takes me more time to run through my ideas, I run through more scenarios than them, and I get sidetracked in my thoughts more often than them.

I kind of regret not posting this thread in the general ADD subforum instead. I think people interested in science probably lean more toward divergent thinking regardless of whether they are ADHD or not. But still, I'm suspecting we all lean towards divergent thinking regardless of IQ or interest in science.

SB_UK
11-23-14, 05:59 AM
Exactly - problem when you want to think 'divergent' and need to think about something else ... ... impossible to comply - unless the stimulant meds work ...

SB_UK
11-23-14, 06:01 AM
Actually, I've met two gifted NTs I'd label as divergent thinkers. The difference between me and them is mental processing speed. It takes me more time to run through my ideas, I run through more scenarios than them, and I get sidetracked in my thoughts more often than them.

We arrest on flaws - so if there's a problem in any scheme - we are attracted to it ... ... whilst others are off and building the flawed scheme.

Take longer to think better.

Nearly there though.

SB_UK
11-23-14, 06:33 AM
I think one of the first times it became apparent of a different style - was when having to write 'stream of consciousness'

- it just did not end - happily spending hours writing it -

not really satisfying (not recommending it) but the fact that it was so easy.

If you're a stream of consciousness mind hopping 'brain/mind' - then staying on track is impossible.

I'm supposed to be reading about 'computational methods for discovering structural variation in next generation sequencing' and I can't do it - because I know that there's no point.

The whole of -omics is based on helping people to live happy, healthy lives

- but it's ALL complete nonsense.

To live a happy life all that we need is a freedom from wage slavery ie not to have to acquire money in order to ensure happy survival.

Or food + shelter to all by personal effort.

-*-

We watched my first proper Dr. (4th Doctor) 1st episode last night with kids.
I was their age when I watched it.

All about how computers are dumb - just do what they're told.
And how scientists tried to rid the world of people who're not 'rational' by starting a nuclear war.

Crazy stuff - we're in the age of genetics/genomics and massive computional bioinformatics analysis to find the answer to a question which is simply -

'to live free'

- human beings are crazy.

-*-

And that's the benefit of the ADDer mind - we don't get caught up with the sheep in the crowd of lemmings heading for a cliff - just because the computer we're using has go-faster stripes and a turbo charger

... ... if it's not worthwhile the divergent mind knows it
- because it's cross-referencing what it's doing with what it knows.

You are not going to ever change a human being's genetics.
And you're never going to be able to control epigenetic real-time modification of the genome.

So get off your 2 second 0-60 mph motorbike - you're just going to kill yourself and the whole load of passers-by you plough into.

-*-

All we need are local intentional fully sustainable communities which scale to encompass the world.

Aha ! But in that world won't we all live drab lives ploughing the land.
No - we'll still have technology - just sustainable technology.
In fact - you'll have far better tech than you have now - because there won't be anybody ensuring that everything you own breaks a day after the warranty ends.

People motivated to make things that last rather than things that break.

Why ?

Because who wants to spend their lives stitching badly made clothes, fixing potholes in roads, painting houses, fixing broken wooden fences.

So - 1 pair of well made clothes, no road, washable wall surfaces, no boundaries between properties.

SB_UK
11-23-14, 07:33 AM
Divergent thinking.

40 years ago sci-fi terrified about energy crisis.
40 years later - climate change - nobody's changing society away from unsustainability.

Divergent thinking - can't concentrate on strictly ballroom / genetics because there's something bigger - setting up a rational moral society before we're all dead - to attend to.

UK/USA - 1/3 population with pre-diabetes through stress of living in Western style materialistic anti-social style - we're ALL already dying prematurely
-- the more sensitive/nice/empathic affected most

- but the pattern can be reversed.

acdc01
11-24-14, 10:45 AM
Exactly - problem when you want to think 'divergent' and need to think about something else ... ... impossible to comply - unless the stimulant meds work ...

Yes, that was another difference between the divergent NTs and myself. They could stop thinking about other things when needed. I have tremendous difficulties doing so.

SB_UK
11-24-14, 10:50 AM
Yes, that was another difference between the divergent NTs and myself. They could stop thinking about other things when needed. I have tremendous difficulties doing so.

Yes exactly - I can't.
My mind decides what it wants to think about ... ... I can't force it elsewhere - it just zones out.

acdc01
11-24-14, 10:52 AM
this exactly how mind works and when I'm calm and in the right mood ( energy and not overwhelmed), I love this process.

Yes. I really love how I think too. It's a shame it causes side effects that hurt us in our society. Actually, my inattentiveness is a hazard to my own life (and the life of others) - so it'd be a problem in any society.

I'm glad ADHD most likely helped me to become a divergent thinker. Just wish I could control when I thought that way more often.

SB_UK
11-24-14, 10:54 AM
It's (the adder mind) pretty good at finding interesting things to think about though - just nothing that you can earn any money at/for.

Prince summed it up well.

I was dreaming when I wrote this
so forgive me if it goes astray.

Thing is - is that there's always a defined basis to astray - but follow astray and you'll find an interesting connection somewhere along the tangent.