View Full Version : Asperger's In Girls

BellaVita
11-22-14, 05:48 AM
It appears, it may be very well indeed that I have Asperger's! (I know it's now just "autism spectrum" in DSM 5)

At first, decided to research it and I fit the symptoms, like, 99 percent of them.

And also dvdnvwls is reading this with me, and he too can't believe how accurate it is. He said I was always "different." (We know each other IRL)

Here is a photo of the chart of common AS traits in females, as I think it may be very helpful to many here(link below):
http://www.help4aspergers.com/pb/wp_a58d4f6a/images/img244154ad237783e339.JPG

Now, it's like my life makes total sense. It's so weird seeing a description of me written out on the internet.

It's even got it down to the GI issues and how I've always said social interaction is like "an act" (they said we view it as a performance) - I see it as basically a step-by-step math equation.

It makes sense, every last bit of it. It describes me better than any other disorder I've ever been diagnosed with.

I'm so shocked, I mean I know I did weird things as a kid (would play alone off in my own world, wouldn't talk to anyone other than my mom for several years(and only about my intense special interests), how I would line things up (many photos of me having lined up my toys, in fact every night before I went to bed it was part of my routine to line up ALL of my toys in a rectangle around me...also I'd have meltdowns and cry for hours on end if my routine was disrupted...)

Now it makes sense also why I've been obsessed with David Archuleta since 2008 and MBTI since I was a child! :D And why I choose learning about both over social interaction, and how those two topics dominate my conversations in real life and why my conversations are mainly one-sided. :o

I'm going to talk to my new future psychiatrist about this, and I have a couple of pages (like the first chart) that I'm going to print off and show him/her.

dvdnvwls
11-22-14, 06:30 AM
Knowing you for a while, and clearly seeing that while the other diagnoses you've been given were almost certainly correct they still didn't explain major parts of your "different-ness", this is (while initially a shock) mainly comforting and reassuring - so many things that were once difficult to understand or explain are becoming clear and ... well, not simple, but a massive amount of stuff has just moved from "unknown" to "known", from "confusing" to "now I get it" - and that feels really good. :grouphug:

Lunacie
11-22-14, 02:03 PM
I can't say I'm surprised.
I fit the description and traits of Asperger's almost as well as ADHD.
I've read that more than half of those dx with Asperger's also have ADHD.

dvdnvwls
11-22-14, 03:48 PM
I can't say I'm surprised.
I fit the description and traits of Asperger's almost as well as ADHD.
I've read that more than half of those dx with Asperger's also have ADHD.

It seems to me that the key thing about BellaVita's situation is that in the areas where ADHD and Asperger's don't overlap - that is, those symptoms that are unique to one condition or the other - she (in her boundless enthusiasm) has boldly and unmistakably gone for both. :D

Lunacie
11-22-14, 04:00 PM
It seems to me that the key thing about BellaVita's situation is that in the areas where ADHD and Asperger's don't overlap - that is, those symptoms that are unique to one condition or the other - she (in her boundless enthusiasm) has boldly and unmistakably gone for both. :D

Yeah, me too. Especially in the emotional/physical and social/relationship lists.
It just explains all those other "quirks" that ADHD didn't quite make sense of.

As a teen I was very much aware of a cousin who had Asperger's.
Turns out I have several cousins or second-third cousins on the spectrum.
And of course a granddaughter with Autism. That's what got me to looking
into autism issues.

daveddd
11-22-14, 05:48 PM
congratulations

i got some asperger too

makes sense considering shared family transmission (source joel nigg)

i personally feel like the common adhd asperger combo is.. i don't think more severe .. but maybe a more pervasive deficit in executive function

my aunt (dads sister) seems just asperger, my dad just adhd, their mom (my grandma) was emotionally flat and really sensitive to light , she had to were coats and gloves and big hats when it was really sunny

J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2014 Jul;55(7):819-27. doi: 10.1111/jcpp.12201. Epub 2014 Jan 21.
Shared familial transmission of autism spectrum and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorders.
Musser ED1, Hawkey E, Kachan-Liu SS, Lees P, Roullet JB, Goddard K, Steiner RD, Nigg JT.
Author information
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
To determine whether familial transmission is shared between autism spectrum disorders and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, we assessed the prevalence, rates of comorbidity, and familial transmission of both disorders in a large population-based sample of children during a recent 7 year period.
METHODS:
Study participants included all children born to parents with the Kaiser Permanente Northwest (KPNW) Health Plan between 1 January 1998 and 31 December 2004 (n = 35,073). Children and mothers with physician-identified autism spectrum disorders (ASD) and/or attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) were identified via electronic medical records maintained for all KPNW members.
RESULTS:
Among children aged 6-12 years, prevalence was 2.0% for ADHD and 0.8% for ASD; within those groups, 0.2% of the full sample (19% of the ASD sample and 9.6% of the ADHD sample) had co-occurring ASD and ADHD, when all children were included. When mothers had a diagnosis of ADHD, first born offspring were at 6-fold risk of ADHD alone (OR = 5.02, p < .0001) and at 2.5-fold risk of ASD alone (OR = 2.52, p < .01). Results were not accounted for by maternal age, child gestational age, child gender, and child race.
CONCLUSIONS:
Autism spectrum disorders shares familial transmission with ADHD. ADHD and ASD have a partially overlapping diathesis.
2014 The Authors. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry. 2014 Association for Child and Adolescent Mental Health.
KEYWORDS:

anonymouslyadd
11-22-14, 05:53 PM
Hope this gives you some peace, Bella.

daveddd
11-22-14, 05:53 PM
oops , I'm not a girl though

fracturedstory
11-29-14, 04:46 AM
Welcome to the family, Bella.

Although, I present a more male profile of autism symptoms. I do have some female traits in there too.

My favourite is mimicking other accents when it's really not socially appropriate to do it. I think for someone in the music scene I'm now sound articulate and enunciate my words more precisely. I'm not sure who I'm mimicking though. I do watch the news a fair bit.

BellaVita
12-08-14, 09:53 PM
After reading many more lists of symptoms -

I'm so Asperger's it's not even funny! :D

Fortune
12-08-14, 11:10 PM
congratulations

i got some asperger too

makes sense considering shared family transmission (source joel nigg)

i personally feel like the common adhd asperger combo is.. i don't think more severe .. but maybe a more pervasive deficit in executive function

I'll have to dig it up, but I have read at least one study that indicated that people who have both autism and ADHD have more severe impairments as well as impairments unique to the combination that people who only have one or the other do not have.

Fortune
12-08-14, 11:13 PM
It appears, it may be very well indeed that I have Asperger's! (I know it's now just "autism spectrum" in DSM 5)

At first, decided to research it and I fit the symptoms, like, 99 percent of them.

And also dvdnvwls is reading this with me, and he too can't believe how accurate it is. He said I was always "different." (We know each other IRL)

Here is a photo of the chart of common AS traits in females, as I think it may be very helpful to many here(link below):
http://www.help4aspergers.com/pb/wp_a58d4f6a/images/img244154ad237783e339.JPG

Now, it's like my life makes total sense. It's so weird seeing a description of me written out on the internet.

It's even got it down to the GI issues and how I've always said social interaction is like "an act" (they said we view it as a performance) - I see it as basically a step-by-step math equation.

It makes sense, every last bit of it. It describes me better than any other disorder I've ever been diagnosed with.

I'm so shocked, I mean I know I did weird things as a kid (would play alone off in my own world, wouldn't talk to anyone other than my mom for several years(and only about my intense special interests), how I would line things up (many photos of me having lined up my toys, in fact every night before I went to bed it was part of my routine to line up ALL of my toys in a rectangle around me...also I'd have meltdowns and cry for hours on end if my routine was disrupted...)

Now it makes sense also why I've been obsessed with David Archuleta since 2008 and MBTI since I was a child! :D And why I choose learning about both over social interaction, and how those two topics dominate my conversations in real life and why my conversations are mainly one-sided. :o

I'm going to talk to my new future psychiatrist about this, and I have a couple of pages (like the first chart) that I'm going to print off and show him/her.

Something about that list is that I've seen that a lot of autistic men identify with much of it. I am not entirely sure there's a significant difference between autism men have and autism women have, beyond the effects of socialization and expectations.

I think the list is important, though, as it describes how an autistic woman's (or girl's) behavior might be interpreted and how that indicates possible autism.

BellaVita
12-08-14, 11:19 PM
Something about that list is that I've seen that a lot of autistic men identify with much of it. I am not entirely sure there's a significant difference between autism men have and autism women have, beyond the effects of socialization and expectations.

I think the list is important, though, as it describes how an autistic woman's (or girl's) behavior might be interpreted and how that indicates possible autism.

That's interesting, yeah I can imagine that autistic men probably relate to it too.

fracturedstory
12-12-14, 11:49 PM
I heard about a study that found autistic women have the same brain activity as NT males, but autistic males were different from both.

So now I'm on a mission to 'connect' to NT males. Actually, I'm taking advantage of this information to get an advantage in dating them.

BellaVita
12-13-14, 01:08 AM
I heard about a study that found autistic women have the same brain activity as NT males, but autistic males were different from both.

So now I'm on a mission to 'connect' to NT males. Actually, I'm taking advantage of this information to get an advantage in dating them.

Lol Story that sounds like something I would do :D (before I was in a relationship)

Do you have a link to the study per chance?

ChicharitoFan14
12-13-14, 05:21 PM
Ive seen the list and have most of them

BellaVita
12-13-14, 05:51 PM
Ive seen the list and have most of them

Cool :) Asperger's FTW!!!!!!!!!

ChicharitoFan14
12-13-14, 08:01 PM
Yep deffo better than being neurotypical, some of them they just act nasty

BellaVita
12-13-14, 08:18 PM
Yep deffo better than being neurotypical, some of them they just act nasty

Yeah, I would never in a million years want to be NT.

ChicharitoFan14
12-14-14, 09:16 AM
Dont blame you
Im done with trying to fit in with NT's just too much for me atm
Takes alot of work and exhausts me

Batman55
12-16-14, 04:18 AM
Yeah, I would never in a million years want to be NT.

Well normally I would agree with total enthusiasm. But today I am just so effin' sick of the destructive effect my impairment has had on this ridiculous game called "life." How do you get anything done, how do you achieve *anything* without understanding how other people work? Without knowing what to say or how to act, half the time? Think about how far that sets you back, how you're always playing "catch up" and yet, you never get there. Always chasing them damn NTs.

So right now I want to say I'd rather spend a million years as an NT, then spend another year as non-NT. I'm bloody sick of it!

fracturedstory
12-17-14, 08:54 PM
There are some things you can do without having great people skills.

BellaVita
12-17-14, 08:57 PM
There are some things you can do without having great people skills.

That is very true.

BellaVita
01-06-15, 12:20 AM
I'm remembering going to my old psychiatrist with my mom, he wanted to ask her questions about my development.

As we were walking to the room, (my mom had told me about autism before and so I had researched it), I was like "how about when I would line all of my toys up?" and "how about when I never talked to anyone except for you for years?" And she was like "no we're not telling him that!"

:(