View Full Version : anyone read: Following Through"

FocusPokus
04-13-05, 09:18 AM
Following Through: A Revolutionary New Model For Finishing Whatever You Start Written by Steve Levinson, Ph.D. , Inventor of the MotivAider, & Peter Greider, M.Ed., Peak Performance Consultant.

MotivAider

FocusPokus
04-14-05, 07:51 AM
Wow, I didn't even know I posted that, I wanted to, but didn't know I actually did.

OK, so here's the deal. In the book they tell you to use a recurring signal to remind you to Do/Think/Say/Imagine something. It's kinda' like brainwashing, or perhaps just giving you the opportunity to bring your mind back to where you want it, whether that be back-on-task or back-to-center.

The MotivAider is a small machine that you set for a given amount of time (seconds or minutes or hours) and it provides the recurring signal to remind you to do what you link to that signal. The unit has a silent pager-style vibration setting that allows you to be reminded without having to share it with the world.

The unit costs too much for my taste and so I went looking for another, smaller, better, cheaper alternative which I found in the "Silent Alarm", an aid for the hearing impaired. It is also sold under different names for reminding people to take their pills. I got mine for about $36 total after shipping. If I do a quick search I can only find it for bigger bucks, but I am sure that they can be found for what I paid for mine. Just gotta' get to really looking for them. You may find something that seems to be about the same as this, but be sure that it has the ability to set quickly and easily a repeatable, recurrent unit based alarm. Many can be set for many alarms a day, but it is too much work. The thing that makes a good MotivAider (or act-alike) is the small # of buttons and the fact that it is set-able for infinite repeat of your chosen time unit. (say every 20 minutes you want to be reminded to bring something to mind, maybe something positive, imagery)

I still have it, and sometimes use it, but really I needed it back when I was at the bottom and had no handles to get myself up. Most people who are more functional than I will find it rather useful in addition to whatever else works for them. If it doesn't drive you crazy, it can help you center yourself, in yourself, on a task, remind you to breathe, anything.

So, whatcha' think? anyone ever tried something like this? Have a device that has the exact same feature? think it's utter hog-wash? Any input would be appreciated. And I will elaborate if I have just increased the mystery of the thing, instead of elucidating my topic.

Thanks, :)
FP

Ian
04-14-05, 11:27 AM
I'd love some links and reviews from you on a few different ones that you think would be best. I'd appreciate links to the best "buys" you find too if you have them.

I'd like a very complex one. I use simple timers and alarms all the time.
Cheers! Ian.

FocusPokus
04-20-05, 07:21 AM
I'll try to Ian,
Been battling the sleep demon lately,
and as I see it is 4:16AM again, I have lost again....
Nuts.
I am 1 or 2 posts from being allowed to post links. But this one oughtta' count towords it :)
It will take a bit for me to track down where I originally picked up my timer, since most of this variety are being sold under another name, maybe just the last of them being re-labelled. I am sure there must be some that have the very same feature, though I was surprized back when I was loolking how few did. Even plain-ol' watches with a b'zillion modes tend to be missing that key feature of having a recurrent alarm.
I'll figure it, back on later.
Puppies and Kittens,
FP

Ian
04-20-05, 09:33 AM
No worries but just a note on posting links. The guidelines have changed in that regard. Post away.